Thread: Distributor ID issues -- TR7 points/Condenser???

Discussions of Triumph motor cars

Luke Skywalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Distributor ID issues -- TR7 points/Condenser???

Well, I still haven't gotten the TR7 started, and finally my friend came over and spent 15 minutes troubleshooting with me (one to crank, one to test in the engine bay.) Not getting a reliable spark.

I dug into my distributor -- I have points and condenser -- which I thought only the Delco distributor had points, and the Lucas was somewhat electronic. I have the lucas type rotor, and the lucas coil, though.

So did the Lucas distributor for 1980 have points?

But nobody carries points for either Lucas or Delco distributors...so how are we supposed to replace them?!?!

What to do? Any other ideas to make the spark work. I'm also going to replace the plug wires. Plugs themselves don't have many miles (like 50 to 100.)

Baffled!
    Sam B.
    Automotive Journalist at www.apexstrategy.com
    '80 TR8, '74 TR6, plus '86 Ferrari 328 GTS,'76 Ferrari Dino 308 GT4,'02 Corvette Conv, '86 Dodge 600ES Turbo Conv.

Jedi Knight
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Distributor issues -- TR7 points/Condenser???

Both my 7s have the Delco-Remy pointless electronic, but if yours does have points I would think it a prime candidate for the Pertronics ignition which I have heard much about, here and other places. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif[/img]
    "It's easy to curb the freedoms of others when you see no immediate impact on your own."
    Malcolm Forbes
    1974 Jensen-Healey
    1965 Sunbeam Alpine type IV

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

If it were me, I would certainly want to get it running before I put a Pertronix in (then, when I got it running forget about the Pertronix).

You might quote the number on the distributor (probably stamped on the base) on the chance that it came from some other LBC. May be one that a DPO used rather than replace a failed electronic unit.

I have the pertronix box and coil in my TR6, absolutely love it. Best thing invented since sliced bread, put it in over two years ago and haven't touched it once since then.

Luke Skywalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm wondering if it isn't a TR4 or maybe a MGB distributor...

Did either of the original TR7 distributors use points/condenser?
    Sam B.
    Automotive Journalist at www.apexstrategy.com
    '80 TR8, '74 TR6, plus '86 Ferrari 328 GTS,'76 Ferrari Dino 308 GT4,'02 Corvette Conv, '86 Dodge 600ES Turbo Conv.

Jedi Warrior
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All years of USA spec TR7's had electronic ignition.

Up through 79 it was the troublesom Lucas Opus system. 80 and 81 was the much better Delco system. With the way parts changes were done, There may be some '79 cars that had the Delco from the factory, and there were most definatly some '80 cars that had the Lucas Opus system.
    To add to the mix, there was the Lucas CEI (Constant Energy Ignition) that was used to replace the Opus distributors when they had problems, wich was often. The CEI distributor is the one that uses the black box that was usually screwed or bolted to the firewall near the distributor. Although it is very common to find the CEI system in TR7's, none of them left the factory that way.

The Delco system is definatly the best of the 3, but the coil with the built in ignition module has always been relativly expensive, and not available from any TR7 suppliers for a long time. I believe the correct coil can still be had new though, I think from SAAB for one of thier cars.

The points distributor you have is most definatly NOT origonal for your car though. At best it is for a UK or euro spec car. More than likely its just something someone had laying around that would fit in the hole.
    The early bird may get the worm, but it is the second mouse that gets the cheese!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Distributor ID issues -- TR7 points/Condenser???

Some one is selling new stock tr7 CEI distributor system, with external box and new distributor on ebay for $99. Some times they are listed for $149, but still a good buy. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif[/img] That would be a good choice for you!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Sammy, any chance of getting a picture of the points and condenser? Might help identify them.
    Cheers,
    Walter
    52 International L110
    68 Cadillac Coupe DeVille
    96 Mazda Miata

Jedi Trainee
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hey Sammy,

Just my $0.02. My 79 TR7 came with Lucas originally, however, before I got it someone installed a Crane XR700 pointless system. It hasnt even burped once.