• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR6 Spare Tire

bcbennett

Hi All,

The man at the tire store told me that I need a 165/15 tire for my spare (I still had a old Michelin redline, made in 1971, on the rim). He had no suggestions where I might find one, but said they were common on VWs. Any suggestions?

CB

D

Deleted member 8987

165R15, what I put on my Jag a couple of years ago.
Discount Tire had them on-the-shelf, same as on a VW.

Vaark01

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
CB,

I have a set of Vredestein Sprint Classic 165R15 tires on my 3B and am very happy with them.

I bought them from a local shop in Maryland, but I believe you can also get them through Cooper Tires.

Paul

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I put Kuhmo 165 80 15 all around from Tire Rack. 5 years ago they were $32.

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Was the spare on a TR6 165/15 instead of 185/15? I thought it was the same size as the mounted tires and that they made a change to the spare tire cover to accomodate the wider tire (metal risers on each side when compared to the TR4/4A cover)?

Scott

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
CB,

I have a fully inflated coker 185 redline on a stock steel rim as my spare in my 73 TR6. It is a tight fit, but it does fit. Factory specified the same size tire as this as well so not sure why it wouldn't fit otherwise.

As another option, some guys have gone with a space saver spare successfully. Check Bobby D's site for more info on where to find one.

Cheers,
Tush

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
My original spare was a 185/15, not a 165. It will soon be a space save spare thanks to BobbyD's investigation and web site posting. I paid $20 for mine at a local salvage yard. Once it warms up, I'll test fit it to be sure it clears everything and get the new 205/70/15 spare out of there.

BobbyD Space Saver Spare

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
After checking out bobbyd's site on the space saver, I sourced an Accura space saver... it fits perfect on the rear... without a spacer on the front it rubs the calibur.
It takes up a lot less room in the trunk. If I happen to get a flat on the front, I'll just move the rear to the front, and use the space saver on the rear.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Elliot,

Is there any chance that you could get the measurements from the inside of your wheel as a comparison, so that if anyone goes looking for one, they will have the correct one? Or at least, know that the measurements of yours rub and to look for a larger inside diameter to clear the caliper?

If you can post the dimensions that you have it would be helpful.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
No problem at all Paul.... give me a few moments and I'll dig it out of the trunk... I'm in the middle of installing new thrust washers that I got from Scott Helms.... be right back.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
OK, here you go... the space saver I bought was from a '98 Acura (paid $20).
It is a T135/90D15. The bolt pattern/spacing is exactly like the TR6 wheel; 114mm or measured from the 3 o'clock stud to the 9 o'clock stud... approx 4.5 inches (114/25.4= 4.488 inches)
It will drag on the front caliper unless you have a wheel spacer to move it away from the caliper.
BobbyD was most helpful in helping me with this.

Attachments

• 24419.jpg
    24419.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 553

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
The spare is T135/90D
T= Temporary
135= width in mm
90= aspect ratio
15= diameter

Attachments

• 24420.jpg
    24420.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 547

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
DNK said:
What'cha do Elliot, steal it from him?

Really Don the prices were all over the place... some wanted over $100!
I didn't even bargain with the guy... he asked me for $20 and off I went... FAST :driving:

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
OK, I'm finishing a new page on my website for rebuilding the rear brake adjusters, so I'll get my space saver spare and check the size and if it's different, I'll post the dimensions of what I have.

That is if I can escape my wife's "to-do" list for a little while.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I got a 20 minute reprieve from the domestic stuff.

I have a 125/70/D15 95MM.

My measurements are 14.5" at the first drop in the rim shape and 13.5" (tight) on the next drop.

The stock TR6 wheel has one major drop and it measures 14.25".

Do you think that I will need a spacer to clear the calipers?

Opa

Jedi Trainee
Paul,I am using a space saver spare as well and I'm using a wheel off of a Nissan Maxima 1985-1988.Marked on inner rim lip as J DotN 1407 6 16 Nissan 4TX15 AO300 28E00 It has the same measurments as what Gliderman posted.Tire size is T125/70 D 15 I did not have trouble with caliper clearence but did with upper A arm when turning from side to side.I use 5/16 spacers for the front,nothing in the back as that is a good fit.You can see in pics where the rubbing occurs when turning.

Attachments

• 24421.jpg
    24421.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 554
  • 24422.jpg
    24422.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 554
  • 24423.jpg
    24423.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 545

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Opa.... I just assumed it was hitting the caliper. I never gave it a thought of hitting the upper A-arm.
After I finish my present work on the car, I'll put the spare on the front and have another look. It's up on jack-stands so it should be easy to see.

edit: with the 5/16" spacer, did you have to get longer studs?

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Gliderman8 said:
The bolt pattern/spacing is exactly like the TR6 wheel; 114mm or measured from the 3 o'clock stud to the 9 o'clock stud... approx 4.5 inches (114/25.4= 4.88 inches...
You had me scared there for a minute, thinking <span style="font-style: italic">uh-oh, that Microsoft Windows calculator is really off</span>! But my Microsoft Windows calculator gives 114/25.4= 4.<span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">488</span></span> inches. Whew! :wink: