• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Winter projects

ralph_s

Jedi Trainee
Well as soon as it stops snowing & warms up and I can get back in the garage I'll add a spin on oil filter to my 2500M. The stock canister is really a pain and very messy to change. Next I'll be pulling the exhaust header and sending out to jet hot coat. Hope that helps to lower the under hood temp. I've heard good things about the coating. Finally I need to "uncover" the footwell vents the PO covered with carpet, not sure why they were covered???
My lofty goal this year is to finish my BE restoration and get all four of the "girls" running and on the road......wish me luck!!!!

OP
Grantura_MKI

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Silver
Country flag
Sounds like you have your hands full! You may find that when you open the vent, hot air will be brought into the cockpit.
Best of luck!!

tvr4me

Country flag
Apart from regular maintenance and some new back bumpers all I have been doing to the M is taking it out on a good run every few weeks. One of these years I would like to paint it though. I did put an all new brake system on the Land Rover 109, what a pain to bleed, and I rebuilt the transmission in the International Cub tractor.

David, how's your Grantura?

Cheers, Ian

OP
Grantura_MKI

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Silver
Country flag
Hi Ian,
sounds like you are busy as normal!
The Granny is resting waiting for the flathead and blower set up to be fitted.
How about the "big hoe"?

V

vagt6

I'm not a TVR owner, but an ardent admirer (and have been since the sixties when I drove a 289 Griffith).

Great to hear some TVR chatter on this board. Guys, please keep posting and maybe show us a few pics of your cars and projects.

It's really hard to resist some of the TVR projects on eBay and the like. For $10,000 or a bit less you can get a fully functional TVR. That's a bargain.

Cheers, all :thumbsup:

OP
Grantura_MKI

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Silver
Country flag
I am with you, Mark. I believe that TVR's deliver the best bang for the buck. No rust issues to deal with and most bits are available.

ralph_s

Jedi Trainee
Agreed, one of the best buys I've made in a car. I'm a die hard MGB fan, but my TVR is a completely diffent driving experience. The attached picture is a touch of reality for me to when it was actually warm here in PA!!!
A TVR and a kiss, don't get much better then that!! This was taken at the MOM show in Hershey PA this summer.

Attachments

• 24093.jpg
    24093.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 352

ralph_s

Jedi Trainee
I think the "kiss" was scared as she heard stories about guys w/ TVR's............

Bob60

My winter project has been to re-upholster my 2500M. This past fall, I bought a very low-mileage, original, unmolested car with the original - (old, dirty and generally ratty) interior; even when new, TVR's interiors were nothing to write home about. A local upholstery supply got a huge shipment of hides in at close-out prices. Bought 2 dark blue hides, so I'm doing the interior in blue leather. Seats are done, dash re-covered, cut new carpets and having them bound - should pick them up today. As small as a TVR is, it's surprising how time-consuming it is to do if you are going to do it carefully. The most pleasurable thing about the entire project was not having to deal with rusty metal once the original carpets were stripped out!! When it's done, I'll see if I can post some pics.

Bob
'74 2500M
various other LBCs

OP
Grantura_MKI

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Silver
Country flag
I am sure that it will be far better than when it left Blackpoole! You will use quite a bit for glue on this project...make sure that it is fresh and you work in a well ventilated area.

zapparacing

Freshman Member
Hello All.

Long time follower of all the forums but first time poster. Allow me to introduce myself, I'm Chris Zappa, Mike's son and the one who races the black and gold TVR Tuscan. Currently, I'm restoring a 2500M "barn find" which should be done this spring...hopefully. Everything was taken apart starting from November of 2009...body and all. I found the car in a barn full of mice, snake skins, and birds nests'. Currently the engine has been tweaked and fully redone with webers and a new Toyota Supra 5-speed and bell housing was installed. I was given NOS Girling calipers as well as cadium plated drilled and slotted rotors. Believe it or not the car came painted in decent red lacquor (covered in dust, mice poop and cat urine) as well as Datsun Alfin drums. I'm in the process of making the aluminum dash, aluminum door panels and taking apart and restoring all the Smiths gauges as well as carpeting the entire interior. Re-chroming the bumpers are NOT cheap...I'll say that much. I must say this project has made me proud as all the work has been done myself, including wetsanding and respraying lacquor where needed(except for line boring and shot peening and fitting the new pistons and rechroming the bumpers).

Also, the Cosworth Essex for the Tuscan racecar is being rebuilt by MWE, in New York as we speak and a new Corvette diff gears are being replaced.

Anyway, Happy New Year and all the best for 2011. Happy motoring fellow TVR fans

Chris

OP
Grantura_MKI

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Silver
Country flag
You are a busy boy! You will find that the cost of plating is a result of the chemical costs...producing and disposal.
Good luck, Chris.

ralph_s

Jedi Trainee
Bob,
Do you happen to have any carpet "templates" from your recent job? Mine was done several years ago and it wasn't done correctly. Anything you have would help.
Thanks,
Ralph

OP
Grantura_MKI

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Silver
Country flag
Ralph,
You can build you own. Go to a shop that sells bulk supplies...can be for chairs, etc and does not need to be automotive. Purchase a few yards of the material that is used to cover the bottom of sofas, etc. Spray the area that your want to copy with cheap glue and place the material on the glued area. Take some chalk and out line the edge. Pull out material and cut along the chalk line...place template back in car and check the fit...job done!
Be sure to lable the templates direction and top side. When cutting out the rug, be sure that there is no graining, or directional pattern...if so, all templated need to be placed correctly.

ralph_s

Jedi Trainee
Thanks, I'll give it a shot. It will have to be better then the current rugs.

Bob60

Ralph:
It was really a process of measure-cut-fit. I bought 4 yards of 72" wide carpet from an auto upholstery supplier - 4 yards was just barely enough! 4.5 yds. would have been better, but they only sell it in even yardage. With 4 yds. there was absolutely no allowance for screw-ups. The largest piece I have left-over is literally no bigger than about 6" x 8."

I made rough patterns out of brown wrapping paper as I went then cut the carpet slightly over size; then with chalk and a good pair of scissors trimmed to get a good fit. For some pieces I used the factory carpets as patterns but they didn't fit all that well to begin with, so it's best to use them only as a starting point.

Once the pieces were cut, I had binding sewn to all the visible edges by an upholstery shop. To do it well it is truly a time consuming process and a lot of crawling in and out of the footwells. I'm down to re-doing the console now so end is in sight.

Bob

'74 2500M
various other LBC's

ralph_s

Jedi Trainee
Thanks Bob,
I need to install new seatbelts, so I think I'll remove the seats & steering wheel to make things a little easier. But there just ain't no easy way to work the footwells....I'm anxious to strip out the carpets and try to get the air flow figued out. My 2 footwell vents are covered w/ carpet. Something tells me the PO had a reason for doing that!!!!!
Just adds to the "charm" of these beauties.