• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

215 Aluminum Block Buick

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
What year cars had this engine? What other cars, if any, used it also? My next project, if I ever get this TF done, will probably be a MGB/C conversion. In the mean time, accumulation of a few parts won't hurt. Not sure about the Buick, just asking and open to suggestions. PJ

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Here ya go, Paul:

GM 215

Scroll down a bit and read all about it!

Also, check the British V8 website - lots of info there as well.

:cheers:
Mickey

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Thanks Mickey! That is some very interesting reading. Seems like quite a bit of history follows this engine. Nice. PJ

Scott_Hower

Luke Skywalker
PAUL161 said:
What year cars had this engine? What other cars, if any, used it also? My next project, if I ever get this TF done, will probably be a MGB/C conversion. In the mean time, accumulation of a few parts won't hurt. Not sure about the Buick, just asking and open to suggestions. PJ

It's known as a "BOP 215". As in Buick, Olds, Pontiac. I think it was made from 61-64 by GM; used in just about everything, the Skylark being very popular. During a tour of the GM factory where it is alleged a B/L executive tripped over one (literally) Rover bought the rights in 67 and the rest is history. Variants were used in lots of British iron, Range Rovers, SD1s, TVRs. Ted Schumacher at TSI Imports in Ohio usually hsa a few laying around in various states of tune. He used to haul several to Carlisle every year and sell out.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
They seem to have been fairly well scrounged up around here.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Since finding a 215 is getting tougher as time goes by, what other engines,(V8s), are comparable in size, weight and HP? 289? PJ

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:] 372hp and the ability to rev to over 10,000rpm [/QUOTE]

UNDER powered? What th' heck are ya lookin' for, Paul?!?! :shocked:

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
<span style="font-size: 11pt">Rocket boosters Doc !</span> :driving: :devilgrin:

Remember that this is the block that is the foundation of the Rover 3.5 and on.

I have a Rover 3.9 in my conversion.

That being said, I would use a small block Ford (302) if making the choice today. There is a LOT more aftermarket support.

Also....if you're going to do a conversion, PLEASE use an MGB and NOT and MGC!

550,xxx MGBs compared to 9001 MGCs.....and there are plenty of rubber bumpered MGBs available!

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
rick_ingram said:
Remember that this is the block that is the foundation of the Rover 3.5 and on.

I have a Rover 3.9 in my conversion.

That being said, I would use a small block Ford (302) if making the choice today. There is a LOT more aftermarket support.

<span style="color: #FF0000">Also....if you're going to do a conversion, PLEASE use an MGB and NOT and MGC!</span>

550,xxx MGBs compared to 9001 MGCs.....and there are plenty of rubber bumpered MGBs available!

Thanks Rick! I really wouldn't cut up a C to do that. If I ever stumbled across a C, it would be restored back to factory only.
As far as Fords go, my brother in law had an original aluminum bodied Cobra with a 289 Ford in it and it was one wild machine. PJ

billspohn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
The 215 is hopelessly out of date. Consider a more modern Rover version or a GM V6.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
billspohn said:
The 215 is hopelessly out of date. Consider a more modern Rover version or a GM V6.

Bill, I have been giving it a lot of thought along those lines. I just found out that my son has a Olds 215 that needs rebuilding and would give it to me, but I've been doing a lot of reading up on previous conversions and the idea that I could walk into any parts store and buy parts for it, makes me lean toward a more modern engine. I like Fords and have had a lot of dealings with them over the years. Parts availability for the little 289/302 is very good, along with pretty chrome accessories that's easily available for them. Along with the Ford 5 speed, it would be a good combination. Radiator, my son has a radiator shop and builds custom rads for the race crowd when needed, so that's no worry. But,--- I haven't decided yet, as I'm not going to build the car tomorrow. I've got this TF to finish and, if I don't go broke first, that should take another year or so! Notice the,--- Or So! :hammer: :rolleyes: PJ

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
rick_ingram said:
Go for the V8....go for the Ford 302.

That's what I'm thinking Rick. Like I said before, I am pretty savvy on the Ford engines, but just the carburettor types, not fuel injected. I never did care for Chevy's orange paint color! :jester: