• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Torsion Bar Techniques

JIM

Freshman Member
Is there anyone who can provide a discussion of the techniques used to adjust/replace/re-install the torsion bars on a E-Type. If you rebuild the front end (new bushings), what do you have to be careful of as related to safety and torsion bar adjustment etc.? How do you make adjustments to correct for improper ride height? How do you know when new bars are needed?
Any torsion bar information would be very helpful.
Thanks.

66 fhc

Jedi Hopeful
Hi Jim
I just adjusted mine on my 66 a couple of months ago and it worked out well. I followed the directions in the Haynes E type owners manual.On page 229 it takes you through the process.I had to read through it several times before I began to understand the concept. If you clean and lub the splines on the torsion bars and reaction plate real well it will make the job go a lot easier. After setting it up correctly, I'd go have the front end alligned at a good shop. As for if the torsion bars are shot, I would think the front end would be sitting too low even after you adjust them. That measurement is also on page 229. You can now buy an adjustable reaction plate that lets you adjust the torsion bar with out having to pull it all apart I beleve. Mabey someone else has experence with that. Good Luck

OP
J

JIM

Freshman Member
Thanks for the input.
Where can I get the Haynes E type owners manual?
Is there a better manual available? I have found that some of the so called auto manuals found at auto stores give you just enough info to get you into trouble.
cryin.gif

Can you give us the details of your experience?
What all did you have to remove?

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Jim,

I have always found the Haynes manuals to be consistently excellent, rather more detailed than the Chilton publication. I think that you will have to try to find a copy used, as it seems to be out of print.
sad.gif
Good luck.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Steve:
There is one available on E-Bay as we "speak"
thumbsup.gif
<hr></blockquote>

FYI, if you copy the URL of the EBAy ad, you can "post" it here in a message or reply to a message by simply clicking the "URL" bottom of the text message screen when you type in your message. When you click the "URL" button, a box will pop up where you then can "paste" the URL. Then another box will pop up where you type in what you want to call the link (i.e, "Haynes Manual" ) Then, it will appear like this when you save your message:

Haynes Manuel

NOTE: The above link does not go to an EBay ad, this is just for illustration purposes.

Cheers,
Basil
savewave.gif

66 fhc

Jedi Hopeful
Hi jim
If you have access to a fax I'll make a photo copy and fax it to you. There are some diagrams you'll need to look at.
Scott 66fhc

OP
J

JIM

Freshman Member
I'll take you up on that offer.
Please fax it to me at 602-589-6034.

Thanks
grin.gif