• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Whatcha Get For Christmas?

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Remember the fun of comparing your Christmas haul with your buddies the day after? Here's your chance, post 'em up. I gotta Bonneville DVD and a Healey shirt:

ab5g68.jpg

23wqq88.png

Happy Healeydays,

Legal Bill

Jedi Knight
Country flag
An original 1975 MG "Fifty Years of Sports Cars" factory poster, as framed and displayed by the dealership back in the day. I found it on Craig's List and my daughter picked it up for me. Probably one of the most sought after pieces of factory art work and I found it down the street from my daughter's house selling for $20.

Sports and Classics is selling one unframed for $149!!

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MG-Dealer...sQ5fAccessories

Country flag
Superwrench said:
Hey, Diamonds are made from coal ! Got a sweet new Lucas Sport coil in my stocking ! Santa knew I was a good boy ! :smile:
You've got something else too, just a little bit later than you expected; they'll go out tomorrow (along with a set of caoted S-54 BMW bearings headed to the SF Bay area).

IMG_5971.sized.jpg

Cali-agents post-Christmas (purchased for himself) present:

IMG_6023.sized.jpg

Country flag
My Chrismas present (to myself) is going to be a little late this year...

I just got off the phone with the truck driver delivery my new welding machine (Millermatic 252 MIG) advising him that he'd have a hard time negotiating my neighborhood with his full-length semi, so he'll be making my delivery on Monday in a "pup" truck. Biggest advantage for me, is it will have a liftgate.

Supposed to be an end of the year purchase; ah, what the accountant doesn't know, won't hurt him...

https://www.millerwelds.com/products/mig/product.php?model=M00218

Millermatic_252.png

I'll probably wait until the next job arrives, though I'm wondering if I can apply it to the car I'm currently working on too, is a motorized bead-roller. I have to "make" a flat trunkfloor for a BMW 318ti (currently running an I-6 BMW 2.8 swap) that's getting an LS1 sbc soon. He wants to be able to run dual exhausts, so I need to eliminate the sparetire well.

Soon: https://www.pro-tools.com/m3.htm

rollers2.jpg

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Oooooo, a motorized bead roller. Manual rollers really need three hands to work well on larger pieces. A variable speed on the motor would be a must. Hard to tell with that CAD movie. It is strange that they don't have a real photo of it.

Country flag
GregW said:
Oooooo, a motorized bead roller. Manual rollers really need three hands to work well on larger pieces. A variable speed on the motor would be a must. Hard to tell with that CAD movie. It is strange that they don't have a real photo of it.
Well, I called a little while ago, because I had a question as to how the "bead size" for the rollers was established; a 5/16" roller leaves a bead 5/16" high by 5/16" wide.

Turns out there's an approximate fourteen (14) day build time estimate, so I went ahead and ordered it...

Similar, but from a different supplier:

210-24-bead-roller.jpg

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
The one thing I'd like to see on a bead roller is a quick release for the rollers. Done in such a way that you'd set the depth with the crank similar to your photo, but then a cammed lever could release the sheet metal so one could reset in a new spot at the exact same depth. When I made those floor pieces, I was constantly cranking. The floors were too wide for the throat of the roller so I'd have to flip the piece over to finish a bevel.

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
I got a shipment from A H Spares. England to CA in 5 days and delivered on the 21th of December, Pretty amazing! New hub and brake drum for the healey. I lost of wheel stud!

Jerry
BJ8

Country flag
GregW said:
The one thing I'd like to see on a bead roller is a quick release for the rollers. Done in such a way that you'd set the depth with the crank similar to your photo, but then a cammed lever could release the sheet metal so one could reset in a new spot at the exact same depth. When I made those floor pieces, I was constantly cranking. The floors were too wide for the throat of the roller so I'd have to flip the piece over to finish a bevel.
I've never used a bead roller before, except for the WWII surplus Parker tube beading tools (was my dad's set), but I already recognized that I wanted a settable-repeatable way to loosen/tighten the rollers. For the immediate future, I'm thinking a pair of jam nuts will be the fastest way to implement a fix.

I definitely like the cam & lever scenario though!

BTW, the machine I ordered has a 24" throat, so I've already been doing a dress-rehearsal in my mind of how I want to do a 318ti trunkfloor (yes, I ordered an extra sheet of steel...).

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
One thing to keep in mind is the bead roller may stretch the metal as you work it. It may crown up in the direction of the bead. I've been able to flatten the sheet with just my hands and a hammer, but sometimes a shrinker was needed. For a larger piece like a trunk floor, you'd probably need a deep throat shrinker, Harbor Freight sells an OK one. Remember the old saying, "Work the metal, don't let it work you."

Country flag
GregW said:
One thing to keep in mind is the bead roller may stretch the metal as you work it. It may crown up in the direction of the bead. I've been able to flatten the sheet with just my hands and a hammer, but sometimes a shrinker was needed. For a larger piece like a trunk floor, you'd probably need a deep throat shrinker, Harbor Freight sells an OK one. Remember the old saying, "Work the metal, don't let it work you."
Yes, thanks. On almost every (stamped) replacement panel I've ever installed, you can "feel" the built up stresses in it; some worse than others.

How much work I have to do on it afterwards just remains to be seen, but at least I know not to expect miracles.

For the 318ti, I was ordering two (2) 4' x 4' sheets (20ga), until I got to the shipping calculater (metalsdepot.com) and it came back with $121.00!

I recalculated it ordering four (4) 2' x 4' sheets and the total freight was $16.00!

So, I just made $105.00 by (plug) welding a stepped seam across the width of the trunk! I figure it will add strength too! :wink:

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Randy Forbes said:
So, I just made $105.00 by (plug) welding a stepped seam across the width of the trunk! I figure it will add strength too! :wink:
Until you factor in your labor to weld... Better the money goes to you though instead of UPS.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
:savewave:

A bunch of cotten pickin bills--- :lol:

---------------------Keoke-- :driving:

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
GregW said:
Randy Forbes said:
Until you factor in your labor to weld... He must be talkin bout them BMW things HUH-GREG- they got TRUNKS!!--????

---------------------------Keoke-- :wink: