Thread: Rebush SU Carbs Black Magic?

Discuss the Austin Healey Sprite and the MG Midget. Two different but similar cars sometimes referred to collectively as the Spridget.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Rebush SU Carbs Black Magic?

SU carburetter rebuilds seem like a fairly straightforward thing a DIY shade-tree mechanic could handle. After all, the SU carbs seem mechanically pretty simple.

In my research it seems that "re-bushing" requires professional "black magic."

Forgive my ignorance (I just got my Bugeye project ), but what does "re-bushing" really involve?

Is it THAT difficult to do?

Does it require special tools or years of experience?

Perhaps it does; just attempting to understand why.

Cheers!
    - Chris

1960 Austin Healey Bugeye Sprite project
    1997 Land Rover Discovery
    2004 Saab 9-3 Linear (Wife's car)

Luke Skywalker
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Re: Rebush SU Carbs Black Magic?

I have rebuilt many SUs over the years and have never found one that needed to be re-bushed. Most will need new throttle shafts which will be obvious as soon as you pull them out. The shafts wear in the carb body. Rarely do the bodies wear.
    I am not saying the bodies do not wear, and larger throttle shafts are available for worn bodies. It is a matter of matching the new larger diameter shafts to the carbs. Any machine shop can do it or anybody with a steady hand and a good drill press can do it at home.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    17 Posts

Excellent choice, I noticed you said you didn't know quite where to dive into the big project on another thread, they are pretty straightforward and easy to rebuild, and it is a nice job because you just take them off the car and you can do all the work on a nice table or workbench rather than on your back or whatever for some jobs.

Take one apart at a time, then you will have the other for reassembly reference.

There are prerry good exploded diagrams in the manuals, I think you had the Clymers, that is a good manual and reference for your work on the carbs and the rest of the car.

Oh, yes another reason to take one apart at a time, the pistons and top piston housings a matched sets, often doesn;t work to try to mix and match certain parts from different carbs.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts

To be completely correct (and I am pretty sure this is right) HS2 Carbs never had bushing for the shafts, HS4's did. I am fairly certain that you can now get bushings for HS2's but, mostly it refers to spritenuts description - redrilling the body for a larger shaft. there is a description somewhere on these boards (May be the MG forum). I can't usually find stuff like that.
    John-Peter Smit
    1976 MG Midget
    1969 Vauxhall Viva GT
    1958 Fiat Multipla (Barn art)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by glemon
    Excellent choice, I noticed you said you didn't know quite where to dive into the big project on another thread, they are pretty straightforward and easy to rebuild, and it is a nice job because you just take them off the car and you can do all the work on a nice table or workbench rather than on your back or whatever for some jobs.

Take one apart at a time, then you will have the other for reassembly reference.

There are prerry good exploded diagrams in the manuals, I think you had the Clymers, that is a good manual and reference for your work on the carbs and the rest of the car.

Oh, yes another reason to take one apart at a time, the pistons and top piston housings a matched sets, often doesn;t work to try to mix and match certain parts from different carbs.
    Yep, I think this will be a good first sub-project after I go through the lot and photograph everything.

Also, I have 4 SUs and them are in a box, so will have a lot to practice with.
    - Chris

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by spritenut
    I have rebuilt many SUs over the years and have never found one that needed to be re-bushed. Most will need new throttle shafts which will be obvious as soon as you pull them out. The shafts wear in the carb body. Rarely do the bodies wear.
    I am not saying the bodies do not wear, and larger throttle shafts are available for worn bodies. It is a matter of matching the new larger diameter shafts to the carbs. Any machine shop can do it or anybody with a steady hand and a good drill press can do it at home.
    Good to know that replacing bushings is not necessarily obligatory. Thanks!
    - Chris

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JPSmit
    To be completely correct (and I am pretty sure this is right) HS2 Carbs never had bushing for the shafts, HS4's did. I am fairly certain that you can now get bushings for HS2's but, mostly it refers to spritenuts description - redrilling the body for a larger shaft. there is a description somewhere on these boards (May be the MG forum). I can't usually find stuff like that.
    I think these are HS2s since they measure 1.25, so this may be a non-issue for me. Thanks!
    - Chris