• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

exhaust system

Paul

Who is a good vendor for a full exhaust replacement and is the idea of stainless all that much better than stock replacement? Welch has the full system for about $350.00. Paul.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Paul:
Who is a good vendor for a full exhaust replacement and is the idea of stainless all that much better than stock replacement? Welch has the full system for about $350.00. Paul.<hr></blockquote>

Two vendors that I know of for Stainless are Dick Ames in Sarasota Florida (941-923-8321) and Borla in New Jersey (732-469-9666). I can't vouch for either, but I know for sure I will be installing Stainless when I am ready to drop in an exhaust in my E-Type. Dick Ames sells the EType 6 cyl system for about $560. Is the extra $200 bucks worth it? I think so. I have stainless on another car of mine and love it!

Basil

Gene

I installed a stainless system from Ames this past spring and am delighted as I was with the dealing with Dick Ames. (Actually, Dick passed away and his wife, Elaine, now runs the business and does a great job.) The system was indeed complete. I had to buy nothing else. It was manufactured by Falcon although I believe that they carry another manufacturer. There is an option between "standard" and "Flow thru." I chose the flow thru with some concern that it might be too loud. It wasn't and produces a nice quiet purr.

Following is contact info. I dealt almost entirely with Email.

Dick Ames
Stainless Steel Exhaust Systems
4850 Fallcrest Circle
Sarasota, FL 34233
Phone: (941) 923-8321
Fax: (941) 923-9434
Email: DickAmesFL@AOL.com

Gene Williams
74 O2S

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Gene:
I installed a stainless system from Ames this past spring and am delighted <snip> <hr></blockquote>

Thanks for the info Gene. Its good to get some feedback on some of these vendors. I will probably go with Ames when I am ready to do mine. I want my car to sound as original as possible so will probably go with the standard. I'm guessing with the "flowthrough" you probably get a few more HP?

Basil
thumbsup.gif

[ 12-05-2001: Message edited by: Basil ]</p>

Gene

Supposedly an increase in HP but, ????????

Just to clear up the sound - I actually wanted a little sportier AND louder exhaust but I can hardly tell the difference with the "flow thru" system.

Gene
74 O2S

Wingtip

Jedi Hopeful
Silver
Country flag
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Gene:

Just to clear up the sound - I actually wanted a little sportier AND louder exhaust but I can hardly tell the difference with the "flow thru" system.

Gene
74 O2S
<hr></blockquote>

Generally speaking, the less restrictive the exhaust, the better...up to a point. For example, if you put headers on you won't see much gain (some but not much) unless you also do head and cam increase.

George

koolkat

I put the Ames system on my OTS about 3 years ago and am glad I went with the "big bore" design, the sound is not at all loud and anything else really would have been nothing. In fact I would like to have just a tad bit louder system but am glad I got what I did.
KoolKat in Phoenix ('68 OTS)

OP
P

Paul

The best thing second to the Jag looks is the sound or is the sound the best and the looks are second? Hard to tell but the last thing I want this car to sound like is a mazda with chromed exhaust tips. The purr is what I have always loved but the flow design would be nice but not if I have to give up the purr....... any thoughts? Paul
blackwhite.gif

Gene

The "purr" is still there. It's just slightly different. It's like before, you were holding the kitten tightly and now it's sitting in your lap!

Gene

OP
P

Paul

Thanks it sounds.... like you understand. Paul p/s we lived in Arvada for about 9 years until 7 years ago.psg

J

Jagdreamer

Gene
74 O2S
<hr></blockquote>

Gene, if you wanted a sportier sound, maybe this is what you're looking for (this is friggin' hilareous!)
jester.gif
jester.gif
jester.gif

Custom Racing Exhuast Sounds

JW

Freshman Member
Thank you Jagdreamer I needed that! I was bored and logged on to see if I could get cheered up.
Very funny
crazy.gif
lol.gif

J

Jagdreamer

Yeah, I should put a disclaimer on there not to be drinking milk when you listen to it (milk is painful when it comes out of your nose)
thirsty.gif

OP
P

Paul

Truly authentic but by accident I created a real race by opening the site mutiple times. Listen to the high pitch screams and whines of many cars roaring through the esses.... Paul.
crazyeyes.gif

OP
P

Paul

69 ots etype: I bought the Ames, Falcon, SSteel performance system, clamps and all. It looks and sounds very nice. I was told it would be louder but it really isn't and it has a nice purrrrrr. There were some real problems with the system however. The two down pipes were both too long. One was about 1.5 inches and the other about .75 inches too long. I talked with Ames and there was no technical support or offer to exchange. I was told to call Classic Jag to see what they think I should do as CJ is a regular customer of Ames. CJ says they seldom have a problem but there have been some from time to time. I cut the pipes myself and made them work but was disappointed with the cost to quality ratio. There is no documentation or warning that the 6 clamps come in two different sizes. It seems like there should be a piece of paper just noting some of the basics about the system. Generally the finish is good the sound is good the price is high and the tech support is limited. I am supposed to talk with Ames when I finish the project to inform them what I did. Overall experience gets a B grade. Paul p/s I talked with Ames and asked if there was any consideration($$$) for the none fitting items. She said it must have been my car
confused.gif
and would not do anything. oh well it still sounds nice. psg

[ 02-09-2002: Message edited by: Paul ]</p>

britautowood

Freshman Member
Hi,

Bear in mind you can get the SS systems direct from the UK, and have your choice of Bell, Langford, Double S, and so on...for about $350 plus postage. With todays great exchange rate, it sometimes works out better to buy direct, and more so if you can get a "trade" discount.

Just a thought.

cheers,
Saul.

Gene

Paul,

I have been away for over a month and just now read of your troubles with Ames. Too bad. I never said because it didn't seem pertinent at the time but, I didn't replace my down pipes.

Rob DeScherer

I have recently found a vendor in Canada called Double S exhaust systems. They make stainless systems for many vintage cars, including my TR6, and the price seems very reasonable. Haven't order it yet, so I can't tell you about the quality. They do not have a direct web address, but if you do a search under "stainless steel exhaust", they will come up.