• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New E-Type Owner

T

TRDejaVu

I love the TR4 and hope to keep it, but I just got drawn in by the allure of the E-Type. I knew that the first choice Aston Martin DB4, 5 or 6 was on hold until the lottery comes through, but I have always wanted an E-Type as well. I am now committed to a 1970 S2 OTS; the (more) beautiful and powerful S1 was not in my price range, but with some tweaks I think that I will be more than happy with this car. I am making shipping plans now.

It is a driveable project that needs some structural work, but the price allows for that (hopefully). Impressed by the seller as he was very open and showed me warts-and-all pictures. Thanks to those whose brains I recently picked, but be warned the real questions will be coming thick and fast.

My goal is the same as for the TR4 - rolling resto to good solid driver standard. Here's a few pics to be going on with.

85883.jpg

85999.jpg

85814.jpg

85818.jpg

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Boy, you do not get any moss grow under your feet, do you? Best of luck with it.
By the way...the lower panel infront of the foot well is missing.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Looks amazingly well cared for, Ian!

Congrats!

OP
T

TRDejaVu

Grantura_MKI said:
Boy, you do not get any moss grow under your feet, do you? Best of luck with it.
By the way...the lower panel infront of the foot well is missing.
At the price, I had to strike quickly.

I'm sure there will be many things not right, but it's a start. Please explain about the missing panel, inside or outside?

DrEntropy said:
Looks amazingly well cared for, Ian!

Congrats!
Too kind Doc, the car definitely has issues, but at the price they are workable, even with professional help.

It will also be coming with a hard top. For me that's sacrilegious as the TR4 soft top has only been up 3 times in 4 years (when I get caught in a rain shower). I do, however, see the benefit of extending the driving season when it gets too cold for topless before the first salt gets spread.
DSCN2926.jpg

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
In your third picture, you should not be able to see the floor. Panel fitted between the bulk head and front splash guard. You can see the locating holes in the front rocker panel. Purchase a Bentley manual for the car and it will help you out.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
A very nice start indeed! And those tops (and that looks like an original ) are rare as hens teeth! Don't let go of that thing!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Grantura_MKI said:
In your third picture, you should not be able to see the floor. Panel fitted between the bulk head and front splash guard. You can see the locating holes in the front rocker panel. Purchase a Bentley manual for the car and it will help you out.

Both sides, actually. It's just sheetmetal tho. Won't keep the car from goin' :wink: :laugh:

If I remember the camera tomorrow I'll make some pix of 'em from underneath. They'll be a V-12 car but the panels are essentially the same.

Country flag
Congrats! Always thought I like to have a black E type. AS Basil said, that is an original hardtop. Makes the car pretty cozy in the winter. They bring good money. I've seen them advertised as high as $4k, most are in the $1500/2000 range.

Marv

Country flag
What warts??! :smile: That's nice!

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi There Ian,

I was driving thru & saw your post. I just wanted to say how "Envious" I am & offer you a "Congrats" on your E-Type. I had a `69 OTS a few yrs back & enjoyed it immensly. "Whats not to enjoy"!!

As Basil & Marv mention; That is an "Orig" hardtop & are rare little beasts so; Hold on to that sucker.

Best Wishes,

Russ

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Underside, car is a driver so pardon the condition. :wink:

Red circles are the attaching bolts, there are two brackets around each frame rail inboard (one can be seen on the right side).

Attachments

• 23032.jpg
    23032.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 193

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Oh! And those shields gather ALL small bits or tools you may fumble and drop. They each have a black hole someplace in their center where stuff falls, never to be seen again... :jester:

Country flag
DrEntropy said:
Oh! And those shields gather ALL small bits or tools you may fumble and drop. They each have a black hole someplace in their center where stuff falls, never to be seen again... :jester:

A rift in the time-space continuum Doc?! There is a parallel universe where they DON'T have LBCs but periodically tools and bits randomly appear!

Much like one of my FAVORITE current tv shows "Fringe":
"Fringe" is a series that follows a Federal Bureau of Investigation "Fringe Division" team. The team uses unorthodox "fringe" science and FBI investigative techniques to investigate a series of unexplained, often ghastly occurrences, which are related to mysteries surrounding a parallel universe.

OP
T

TRDejaVu

Thanks guys.

DrEntropy said:
Underside, car is a driver so pardon the condition. :wink:

Red circles are the attaching bolts, there are two brackets around each frame rail inboard (one can be seen on the right side).
Thanks Doc, as they say a pic is worth a thousand words.

Silverghost said:
A rift in the time-space continuum Doc?! There is a parallel universe where they DON'T have LBCs but periodically tools and bits randomly appear!
I wonder if they would beam my spanner back to me.

Country flag
Whew, Doc had me going for a minute. I saw dual exhaust and thought how can a 6 cyl E type have dual exhaust. I reread where Doc was sending a picture from a V12, also a black car. Too early for me to have had a drink.

Marv

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
That one sure looks like a Florida car. I always forget how your climate attacks all the cad bits. The good bit is when you drop something down the "black hole" you will hear a proper "ting".
It is late enough now Marvin. Time to enjoy an adult beverage.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
:lol:

Yeah, that thing was TOTALLY rebuilt mechanically about a decade ago, we had it down to component level and made it better than new. Now it looks like a tired old shoe... and it gets left under a stilt house right on the Gulf for months without being run.

I won't say much about it other than I feel both our effort and the car are disrespected. It seems to be "just another car". Must be nice, huh?