• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

New Math??

mathfail.jpg

Dale

Jedi Knight
Country flag
And we wonder why so many students are depressed or suicidal.

Don_R

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
whats sad is i get how the student go tthe answer.

10 minutes to complete 1 cut...(cut board in half)

20 minutes to make 2 cuts...(cut board into thirds)

Darwin

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
Each cut takes 10 minutes. It takes 2 cuts to saw a board into 3 pieces. 2x10=20. The student was correct the person correcting the paper needs to go back to basic math class.

Roger

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Surely the reality is that it's a stupid question? How long it takes depends entirely on the shape of the cuts and remaining pieces.
If the question had stipulated a rectangular board cut into equal-sized pieces then the student is right, and that's how I initially interpreted the question.

But, reductio ad absurdum, you could take a rectangular board and cut the corners off, thus making five pieces, in a lot less time than cutting into 2 equal pieces.

Stupid question, reasonable answer, stupid marker. What a pity for the student!

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Roger said:
Stupid question,

before we lament the education system too much or the teacher (who may not have written the exam) the real issue is a stupid question - they happen sometimes, let's get back to cars shall we?

OP
SilentUnicorn
This is the Humor section JP- Lighten up. Beats all those puns....

m

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
*whew!*

Must agree, Mark. :wink:

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
I agree that we should keep things light here, as it really is the humor section, and I find a lot of these remarks humorous indeed. So, to find out if this was a stupid question, I asked eight of my co-workers the question exactly as written. Everyone of them came up with 20 minutes. The question is very clear...it isn't stupid.

Country flag
As I was driving :driving: in my MGB to St. Ives,
I met a man with seven wives,
Each wife had seven sacks,
Each sack had seven cats,
Each cat had seven kittens:
Kittens, cats, sacks and wives,
How many were going to St. Ives?

Country flag
You are a bus driver. At the first stop of the day, eight people get on board. At the second stop, four get off, and eleven get on. At the third stop, two get off, and six get on. At the fourth stop, thirteen get off, and one gets on. At the fifth stop, five get off, and three get on. At the sixth stop, three get off, and two get on.

What color are the bus driver's socks?

OP
SilentUnicorn
What is funny is the "Real Life " answer and then there is the "Mathematical/Engineer" answer ....

guess it is all in ones point of view...

m

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
SilentUnicorn said:
This is the Humor section JP- Lighten up. Beats all those puns....

m

Ya know, I like the Pun Of The Day. It's gives my brain a chance to try and come back with a clever retort... :laugh:

BTW, what's going on Stewart?? The POTD has been real scarce lately! The guys at work keep asking "What's the pun of the day" and I have to tell them there isn't one today. You should see all of the long faces here at work!

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
martx-5 said:
You should see all of the long faces here at work!

Are any of these your colleagues Art?

Attachments

• 22935.jpg
    22935.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 139

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Wow, Jody! It's been a looong time since I heard that!
I'm partial to The Vatican Rag, myself. :wink:

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
A million years ago, when I worked for President Fillmore ...

A teacher to his student: Every day you take one cart of pumpkins to the barn. Each cart holds 50 pumpkins.

After 10 days, how many pumpkins are in the barn?

Student says 450.

Teacher says "You fool! 10 x 50 = 500, not 450!"

Student says "If you don't know that the parson gets 10% of all the produce, you're the fool."

A little 19th century humor.

Very little.

Farmer Tom