• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Midget 50th Info

RickB

Yoda
link

I talked to my son about this today, we were planning another Alaska fishing trip.
He's coming down on the side of the MG trip right now, I told him he's going to have to learn a lot more before next summer.
He said he'd help install the 5 speed and help with the painting.
This could be a lot of fun!

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Boy, I'd love to be able to do an event like this... maybe it will be possible...

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
drooartz said:
Boy, I'd love to be able to do an event like this... maybe it will be possible...

If things go as planned, our second nights stop from the Pacific Northwest will be in Gillette Wyoming, leaving from Missoula Montana, our first nights stop. Using Google maps, I see that you are about the same distance from Gillette as we will be. Hook up with us?

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
We may have to chat...

Maybe if I get a 5-speed some day soon... that's a long trip in a bitty little car.

RichBall

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Susan and I will be making the trip from the northwest with the two Bill's (and now maybe Rick) in our '76 Midget. We only have a four speed in ours so you can't use that as an excuse.

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
The "PLAN" as it now sits...subject to modification by the participants, is to drive at about 60 mph, to average 50 mph, to do 500 miles per day for 4 days. From the Seattle area this works out to stops in Missoula Mo., Gillette Wy., Kurt Appley's farm (Nomad her on the BCF) in South Dakota, and on into Elkhart Lake on the 4th day. ..

A 5 speed and a 3.9 make it slightly easier, but the idea is not to drive so hard as to stress the car, nor so along as to stress the body. Mike B. has also expressed interest, and we will of course add Kurt and whomever else musters in S.D., our mid west meeting place.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
On that PDF link above, I didn't actually see a date mentioned........maybe I missed it.

Anyway, it's June 20-24, 2011.

Would love to go, but it's 1000 miles (one way) from me......if only I was retired.

taskadog

Jedi Trainee
I just figured out how to take the "furthest" trophy from Bill M.
I'll leave South Florida and hook up with you guys in Gillete. We'll caravan to Wisc. and I'll have covered 3200 miles.
The pie alone at Little America is worth the extra 1800 miles.

See you guys next June.

Phil "Go Ducks"

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
aeronca65t said:

Would love to go, but it's 1000 miles (one way) from me......if only I was retired.

It's over 2000 miles one way from Seattle. The nearest possible venue for the event was over 800 for us up here in the Northwest.

Ah, Phil, you forget, they punch in your starting location into a computer to generate a route and use that for distance, not actual mileage, just to prevent the kind of prize manipulation you are suggesting. Your only hope is to move to Southern California, or Guatemala. Oh, and, I'm further this time than Bill M. by about the same distance he got me last time, but still, SoCal is further.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Time off from work is my biggest enemy here. Stupid day job...
grin.gif

RickB

Yoda

taskadog

Jedi Trainee
You Washingtonians are ONLY six states away from WI.
I'll have to cross seven, so there.

See you in June,
Phil

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I don't know how you did that,.. saving the link and all... let me do some research. The difference between I-94 and I-90 is piddling, and the added time to get to Kurt's farm is only about an hour to the total drive time, even though it looks like a detour. He has alredy offered us a place to stay for the evening, and to use his place as a Mid West Mustering Point. ... let me research and try to get you a link..

[https://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&so...22942&sspn=0.009461,0.022724&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=5]

I don't know if this works or not, but there it is. I forgot to change the route from the state highways back to the Interstate so as to go thru Gillette. It only adds about 10 minutes to stay on the freeway.

RickB

Yoda
When you have the map on your screen just the way you want it you look over to the right just above the map to the right of "Print" and "Send" there is "Link". Click that then copy / paste.

https://goo.gl/maps/7gKT

Jer

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Finally ! ( I always questioned the preliminary dates as it didn't fall over a weekend, ahhh it is a mon-fri gig only) now I can start planning, see if I feel comfortable enough with the drive... I put over 3000 miles so far this year & she didn't leave me stranded - this would be fun.

Google maps says 356 miles one way, not to bad especially if I take my time & do it over 2 days... think I will go across the upper pennisula & down, then take the ferry route on the way back - only catch, I have to make the St.Ignace car show that weekend so it may be a one day haul on the return!

RickB

Yoda
I'm starting to get serious about this.
I've downloaded and mostly filled in the registration form.

Bill (either L. or M.) when is the itinerary going to be firm?
Do we need to have some kind of meeting to discuss?
Are there some places along the way where we can stop and view something cool (Mt Rushmore etc...)? It would be great to have my kid see things like that.

I had road trips when I was young, in fact I've driven in every state in the USA. You gain extremely valuable experiences doing that.

I need to start planning things like vacation time, so what day do we plan to leave and what day do we plan to return type of information is required.
Maybe a few of us can talk about this at the thing on Wednesday night in Redmond.

Jer

Jedi Warrior
Country flag