• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR5/TR250 Into New England Fall in a TR250

gjh2007

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Well, some of you may have seen my postings about selling my'88 Range Rover. I finally sold it last week after having it advertised for 2 mos. The first guy who came bought it for full price. I take such good care of my cars that my price is always 10-20% above what the typical pers would ask & it makes it a little harder to get people to come & look; but when they do the first thing they say is "this is in great shape" Soanyway the Rover is gone & I am stuck without wheels till I find a 2000ish LandCruiser.

Fortuntley I only drive 10 miles a day to the train station to get to Boston. But inevitively something always comes up where I have to run the kids somewhere & the bride is not around so we tool off in the TR. Fall is a great time in New England for LBCs, but when you get into mid Nov it can change quickley. Last weekend we had 5" of snow with temps in the teens. Yesterday it was 60! We always say if you don't like the weather wait 10 minutes & it will change.

Using my TR as my only mode of trans reminded me that when my bride & I were dating in the mid 70's that we (I) had 2 cars, a 1971 Subaru wagon & my 1st TR250. When I went off to college I left the TR home for her over the winter, so she could get to the train station in NY. I was inthe Adirondak mountains, so the TR would have been useless in the snow, plus going to a forestry school with an LBC wasn't cool.

Anyhow I remember my now fiance' coming up to visit me in Feb. driving 6 hrs up the turnpike & through the high peaks by herself. We though nothing of it & we did numerous ski trips in the TR. We had a clamp in Amco ski rack that attached to the luggage rack.

I guess what has hit me is thinking about how youth is wasted on the young, we never used to worry about breaking down or sliding off the road & I think the car could sense it. Only once didshe break down when the accordian clip came off my SU conversion.

So, not to despair, I am not planning on driving the car in the snow & since it needs a complete resto am not overly concerned about a little bit of road salt.

Trundle on!

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Ah yes. Memories. With us it was a '65 VW Beetle and a '64 Karmann Ghia convertible. Not New England, but New Orleans, and we'd think nothing of jumping in and driving out the River Road to see the plantations or making a run to the Gulf Coast. Didn't know that we didn't have the time to do it - we just did it.

Now that retirement is not that far ahead, we're planning (there's that word again!) on recapturing some of that lost spirit. And we've got a TR3 and an MGB to play with!

Mickey

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
Thursday will mark the 15th anniversary of my first Thanksgiving in the Boston area. It was the first time I ever had to brave snow to get to T-giving dinner. I stayed with one of my Boston U. floormates at his house in Wakefield, MA. It snowed all night, and we hauled out to his grandparent's place in a rear-wheel-drive American POS, fishtailing everywhere.

MDCanaday

Jedi Knight
I drove my old tr3 as a daily work vehical for almost 17 years. In the winter it was such a pig in the snow, we would take it out just to cut doughnuts in the newfallen snow,to see our tracks, and laugh at some irish setters that would come out to play with us. The wonderfull heater kept the frost off of one knee on each of us!!!
md(mad dog)