• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bugeye leaking radiator fluid - help please

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
In an earlier post I wrote how I had a big leak between the head and block. Radiator fluid went everywhere. I originally put in a cheap head gasket, and the engine sat for ten years. I took it apart and put in a Payen head gasket. The head had been surfaced. After two weeks I am now seeing two drops near the engine ID plate and a drop near the rear of the head. Do I need to worry? This is starting to feel like the car from heck.
Kevin

smaceng

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Kevin,
Tell us how you assembled the head, down to which bolts and what torque. Yes, you need to worry, because if it leaks now, just think what will happen when the block gets hot and it is trying to fire on all 4.
Scott in CA.

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
I toqued all bolts in order as shown in my book. I torqued in 10 ft/lb increments each time I went throught the sequence, so I torqued it at 10, 20, 30, and a final torque and 40 ft/lb. By the way, I ran a straight edge over the block before I put in the new head gasket, and it looked fine to me. Someone mentioned in an earlier post that it can leak around the studs, but I don't see how this would make a difference since the head gasket seals around this area. I have installed a number of head gaskets and never had a problem before now. I had to put in another heater valve after I put in the new head gasket, and radiator fluid did seep around the head. How do I know if this is a leak or travelling fluid? Sorry for whoever changed my first post. I didn't know I was breaking the rules by using the word hel#.
Kevin

Nelson

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
You might check for leakage at the studs. I have had to put sealant on the threads of the studs themselves when water seeped up the shaft of the stud.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Good call Nelson, that would be my first check also. Along with the heater valve of course.

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
I am so demoralized by this car. I feel like there is no end to things I have to do to get it on the road. The last problem I found was that the heater valve base was cracked, which I didn't notice it until I added coolant. I replaced it, and there are no leaks there now. I don't see any coolant coming from the studs. If the leak were caused by the studs, wouldn't it be leaking around the studs? I don't want to yank the head if I am not sure if or what the problem is. Is there a way to put the coolant system under pressure to be sure about the leaks?
Kevin

D

Deleted member 8987

I do believe the studs was something to look at if it wasn't the heater valve.
Personally, I run a bit of stop leak just to seal the little stuff.

General Misunderstanding mandates the use of stop-leak (GM Part Number, too) as the newer ones can drip.

The heater valve probably got cracked removing the head, so it's fixed, don't worry about it.

Check the wiring as directed earlier in another thread and we'll be one step closer.

For some reason, the Most High has blessed you with LBC Tribulation.
Rejoice!

These things, too, shall pass.
And, you'll be a better person for it.

You will be able to help the next poor person undergoing LBC Tribulation with your new knowledge and experience!

No joke!

Dave

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Mehheh.

Press on regardless, Kev. Even Jaguar recommends "Stop Leak" in the V-12 engines in the OWNER'S Handbook!!

This is all prelude to better times. Sorting these things can be a daunting procedure but the end result can be a personal pride. Not too many folk will understand the journey you traveled but there are a few of us who've BTDT and know. :wink:

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I am glad you found the cracked heater valve. Now move on to other things.

The_architect

Jedi Trainee
Kevin, take heart. We architects call fixing all the little things at the end of the job "the punch list." In some buildings there are hundreds of items. I think you're doing a great job--you'll get there.
Charlie

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Aye, one item at a time and shortly you will be preaty well complete. Never quite make it but that's ok we all have an item or two to work on from time to time.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
ichthos said:
I am so demoralized by this car.
I know just how you feel.

There have been lots of times over the last 5 years that I've would have been happy to come from work and have the car and all parts gone and a small pile of cash in its place. I'm glad I held that off, though.

Near the end I bought a marker board for the garage, and listed out all the little things needed before I could drive the car. That way, even if the list grew (which it did) I could see progress every time I crossed something off the list.