• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Spitfire Pacesetter/Monza Exhaust on 69 Spit

Jorgen

Does anyone have any underbody pictures of this exhaust on a spit. Mainly the rear mounting areas. I bouught an exhaust that was installed on a "project" that had gotten a new owner who was almost done putting a hemi into the car. He obviously coulnd't use this exhaust on the car with taht motor and sold it off to me <span style="font-style: italic">cheap</span>. Now I am trying to work on installing and was looking for info on how others mounted this this, there doesn't see to be much worthwhile near the mounts on the system to conned to.

Thanks to anyone who can help.

Scot

GregL

Freshman Member
Hi Jorgen, I have the Monza exhaust on my TR6. It is a newer style and has resonators forward of the mufflers. It's louder than stock, but not as loud as what some people have said of the past systems. The alignment of the hangers is pretty poor, and requires some creativity on your part or your muffler shop. So far I am happy with the system, not the installers in my area, but that is another story.

71MKIV

Jedi Warrior
The monza requires hangers through the boot floor as mentioned. Lots of cut and fabricate.

Go find the quietest glass pack you can find and put it in the middle of the long pipe under the car.

Mine I bought cheap, found out it was cheap because it was missing the muffler for the center of the car. It was truly awful, going down the road it sounded like it had a severe gastroinstestinal problem.

S

suggs

"Monza" must be the worst, noisiest exhaust silencers in the world.

Don't even think about it, your ears will be ringing for weeks and they give zilch extra power.

OP
J

Jorgen

That is about what I expected. I just wanted to check if there were better lest floor destroying options that I whould consider. As for the sound level, I think I'll like it. Something I will likely drive only a little bit a year and will likely sell within a year or two I will be able to handle it. The stock exhaust was trash so it had to be replaced adn well $50 for this ust couldn't be passed up.

Don_R

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I think my 73 has muffler hangers at the rear that the monza will mount to with a little mod....I'm running the stock exhaust till it rots off then I'll make the switch.

OP
J

Jorgen

I got it mounted up yesterday. When I did a trial fit the exhaust stuck out about 8 inches past the rear of the car. I cut it and put it back together so it is lined up perfectly in the rear. I am very happy with the fit and look so far. Need to bleed the brakes and I can pull he off jack stands and see how it sounds.

OP
J

Jorgen

Eh can't be any louder than what a was "running" before the few time I have driven the car (around the block). The broken off (previous owner didn't do a few things right) about 5 feet from the exhaust manifold and blowing straight out at that point. If it ends up tool loud I will just toss a tube muffler or glass pack in there.

71MKIV

Jedi Warrior
I do like the look of the monza tips sticking out the back. Just need to shut them up.

Trevor Triumph

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I have the Monza system on both Spitfires. I don't mind the sound, even on long trips- notice I did not call it "noise." My concern has been the film of exhaust on the back of the car. I added the bracket in the boot floor- no problem. On one our club member let the pipes extend farther and has the bracket bolted on the rear valance.

T.T.

GregL

Freshman Member
I did 150 plus miles in Ginger this morning. Went to visit poolboy. It wasn't that loud, my ears aren't ringing, but she does get looks from people on the side of the road. Remember though, my Monza system came with glass packs/resonators, forward of the mufflers. Poolboy likes the sound too.