• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Goodbye TR3A

griff

Well it took me 8 years to complete the TR3A restoration and 3 test drives to total it.

Getting overly excited about actually completing the job (at least to the point of being roadable), I manged to fail to tighten lugs on drivers side rear wheel and it left me on the 3rd run causing me to flip the car.

I have no idea how I survived. I broke my neck (c6 and C7) and now have some internal hardware but I cannot complain- everything still works (walking talking shooting hoops etc)

I promised my wife that my next car will be larger and if convertible will definitely have a roll-bar.

I post for two reasons:

1) I wanted to thank all who helped with my resto.

2) I also want to emphasize to all to check the small stuff (I am in my 50s and have always enjoyed tinkering with and restoring cars and had never done anything so stupid. That is when I realized that experience sometimes translates to cockiness which translates easily into stupidity). I thought I was ready. I had a punch list with check-offs for brakes, tires, horns. signals, but I guess that ASSume word crept in and I did not find it necessary to have an item for check the f-in lug nuts dummy.

As soon as I have time I will be getting pics and posting a good number of items for sale (extra frame, entire suspension, hood sticks and top, tonneau, Dzus mount side-curtains, original made in England painted wires, new and old set of knock-offs and lots of misc parts although no drive train or sheet metal.

If you have a need feel free to email and I will let you know if I have it.

Again, thanks to the forum for advice and support.

Griff

ekamm

Jedi Warrior
Wow that's terrible to hear. Glad you're in one piece, I often take for granted that all will go as normal, but it's easy to get too complacent. That will make me check twice for a while. Good luck on you're recovery.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Thanks for sharing and great your in 1 piece.

Tr3aguy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Well that is quite the story.....I am glad to hear you survived to drive again...God was on your side. Sorry to hear about the car.

Just starting to scratch the surface on my resto, so mental note....check the lug nuts....got it!

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Griff-

I am very sorry to hear that, but being another guy putting a TR3A back together again I very much appreciate the post - the safety punchlist will have to get done before I get in for that first run.

Randy

Perrymip

Jedi Hopeful
Yes, how wondrous that you're able to tell us about it. Thanks for doing so.

I've had a roll-bar for almost fifty years. There were so many "Teen Angel" stories, most mythic but some very real, when I was growing up, that it just seemed imperative to have one. And, then, you hope you never test it.

I think there are some special circumstances involved that probably extend to everyone on this forum, and these are consequent from spending extended periods of down-time, doing this or that major piece of work on a car. I'm convinced that I can never come up with an adequate check list at the end. I only include items I'm already confident about in such lists. I am so happy with the prospect of getting the car back on the road, so eager to experience driving it again.

Only today, starting, again, one of these extended projects, I noticed, when pulling a front wheel, that I had obviously forgotten to check the lugs last time I'd mounted it. They were perilously easy to break loose. And I had just taken a five-hundred mile "test drive."

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Grill,

Glad you are (mostly) in one piece. I crushed C4,5&6 in an MGB and swore my next (convertible) car would have a roll bar. I've owned several since, and have yet to make a roll bar a reality. I think I'm a safer driver, and try to keep my cars safe, but it only takes one over sight -as you noted.

Thanks for the reminder. I hope you completely recover -I'd still like to see pictures.

Jer

GBRandy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Glad you are upright and eating solid food! Holy cow. What sad story about the car, but the result for you could have been much worse.

Having just completed a complete (and I mean COMPLETE) removal and installation of my steering, I went through every nut and bolt before I drove it.

Still, the guy that did the alignment found a loose bolt on the brakes I must have missed. 100 miles in and I spent a 1/2 hour underneath making sure nothing loosened up.....

Breaks my heart ot think of your 8 years of hard work and *poof*

Be safe out there.....

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Least we not forget to use our jackstands... jacks alone are not safe.
Glad you are on the mend!

karls59tr

Obi Wan
Country flag
i read your post and thought hmmn when was the last time I checked the lug nuts?I Well the lug nuts on my tr3. were extremely loose on the two front wheels! Big thanks for the heads up griff. I had no idea they had a tendency to loosen up over time.....but then again I haven't checked them since Spring. Thanks again.

bgbassplyr

Darth Vader
Do I remember that this is the second TR3 to be totaled in NC this week?
Glad you survived to tell the tale.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Thank goodness you're still with us though this is truly a heart-breaking tale.

On the subject of lugnuts -- some years back I got a Harbor Freight click-type torque wrench (<$10) and only use it for the lugnuts. I never change the setting and never use it anywhere else. Not a real precision instrument but plays its part in the almost ritual-like procedure that accompanies any wheel change.

Seems like the greatest risk comes when one is interrupted during a task and then has to think 'Where did I leave off?'. I've gotten in trouble with the wife on more than a few occasions when I shoo her away until I reach a stopping point.

Again, so sorry to hear of this sad end to your TR3 project.

tinkerman73

Freshman Member
Very very sad to hear! So few cars left anymore! However there are far fewer of yous then the cars! Sure wish I was in the right situation to buy some parts for my new upcoming TR3 project. But alas, Im not. I do really hope the insurance is good enough to help recover a good share of the cost you had in the car!

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
stay out of NC for a while, till the mojo moves on

toysrrus

Yoda
Howdy Griff,

Man, Thats really a sad tale about your TR but "Great" news relative to Yourself being OK. There`s a gent (Gundy) who is on the "Spridget" forum who also had a similar circumstance (Lug Nuts) but He and His Bugeye came thru it all OK.

Best Wishes in Your future endeavors,

Russ

71MKIV

Jedi Warrior
Um, Mr Hahn?

For the record, It's a bad thing to leave the torque wrench with the tension set.

The spring will weaken over time that way, and you will not be getting the right torque on the lugs.

The spring should be allowed to "relax" between uses.

That said....

Man, I sure am glad you survived Griff. My own restoration is finally on the road after seven years. Last night was first drive with my wife along. Methinks I am going to double check some things this morning. I have the same hardware in my neck, but for different reasons. It's a little strange until you get used to it.

Make good use of your second chance.