• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

G

In my younger days, I loved the British sports cars, but as I got older I somehow drifted into other genre of vehicles. Now I would like to purchase a vintage or classic British sports car, and wouldn't mind some expert advice, or even a few opinions
smile.gif

Some of the models I'm considering:

XKE
XK120
TR series (up to TR6)

I wouldn't mind suggestions on other models, if anyone has a preference. If anyone has good or negative impressions of any of these vehicle, or any advice on purchasing or finding one (I'd like to find one that needs restoration, but not involving cutting and rewelding the body), please let me know.

I'm new at this.

Thanks

Jerry

------------------
Growing old is no excuse for growing up.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Hi Jerry!
Welcome to our humble little forum. I love all little British cars and think they all have their charm and distinct personalities, but if you were to ask me (and you did), I would steer you towards your first choice (XKE). Further, I would recommend a Late series I (say 66-67) or a Series II. The main differences being, the series I has glass covered headlights, while the series II doesn't. Also, the series I has tripple SU carbs, where the series II has twin Zenith Strombergs (for emissions). There are other subtile difference like the bumpers and size and location of the turn signal lights and also the earlier cars have slim toggle switches and the series II has larger rocker-style switches. Both versions are very nice cars. The XK engine in the XKE is a hold over from 1948 when it was first developed and placed in the XK120 (I used to own a XK 120 - nice, fun car and very cool looking, but drove a bit like a truck). Also, the XKE has 4-wheel disk brakes and rack-and-pinion steering and a very sophisticated (for its time) suspension system (fully independent).

Whenever you decide to get, I would highly recommend you vist https://www.hmn.com (Hemmings Motor News) and spend the $35 or so for a year's subscription. Hemmings is the bible of the old car Hobby and will have tons of Little British Cars for sale all around the country.

If you do find a car you are considering, let us know and I'm sure myself and others would be glad to offer what advice we can on what to look out for when buying a Little British Car, Jaguar or other.

By the way, welcome to the forum! I hope you will be a regular here. It is turning out to be a pretty fun forum. Lots of nice folks here.

Cheers,
Basil

[This message has been edited by Basil (edited 10-30-2001).]

OP
G

Thanks for the in-depth response! I'm open to all opinions and advice. Handling is important to me, as I want a driver, not a show car. I love hair-pin turns
smile.gif

I'll try to start finding events to attend, though I'm probably limited to those I can do a weekend drive to from the Cincinnati area.

Who knows..maybe we'll meet at one.

Thanks again.

------------------
Growing old is no excuse for growing up.

Matt B

Aw...hogwash! Don't listen to Basil...he don't know what he's talking about. Just 'cuz he's too much of a wimp to handle an XK.
wink.gif

We all know that the XK is the quintessential Jaguar...the older the better. Yea...sure...there's some stupid designs
grin.gif
, but the beauty makes up for all them at first glance.

All honesty, any number of British cars are great. But I will stick to the earlier the better. Things started getting nasty with emmisions controls in the late 60s, and if you've ever looked at a blow up drawing of an E-type rear end...you will probably never want to go there. They are awesome cars though.

You should definetely consider the later XK cars too...if you don't want to drive a tractor. The XK140 had the rack & Pinion, and the XK150 added disc brakes as well.

As well as Hemmings, you would do well to keep an eye on ebay. Not that thats a good place to buy necessarily, but its a great place to truly see waht current fair market values are, and often there are lots of good pictures and detailed descriptions that might help you in your final choice of cars.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

-Matt B
53 XK120 FHC

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Originally posted by Matt B:
Aw...hogwash! Don't listen to Basil...he don't know what he's talking about. Just 'cuz he's too much of a wimp to handle an XK.
wink.gif

We all know that the XK is the quintessential Jaguar...the older the better. Yea...sure...there's some stupid designs
grin.gif
, but the beauty makes up for all them at first glance.

All honesty, any number of British cars are great. But I will stick to the earlier the better. Things started getting nasty with emmisions controls in the late 60s, and if you've ever looked at a blow up drawing of an E-type rear end...you will probably never want to go there. They are awesome cars though.

You should definetely consider the later XK cars too...if you don't want to drive a tractor. The XK140 had the rack & Pinion, and the XK150 added disc brakes as well.

As well as Hemmings, you would do well to keep an eye on ebay. Not that thats a good place to buy necessarily, but its a great place to truly see waht current fair market values are, and often there are lots of good pictures and detailed descriptions that might help you in your final choice of cars.

Good luck, and keep us posted!

-Matt B
53 XK120 FHC

Hey, I resemble those remarks!
grin.gif
Actually, I learned to drive in a XK150 and agree it is a great combo of style, handleing and overall engineering. One day I may try to find a good restorable 150 myself.

Basil

OP
G

I seem to recall (I maybe wrong) that the xk150 didn't have same lines as the XK120. There's a beautiful sweep from the fenders that drops low by the occupants, then sweeps back up over the rear tire, whereas the XK150 just had a straight line back.

Which does the 140 resemble?

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Originally posted by RoadRunner:
I seem to recall (I maybe wrong) that the xk150 didn't have same lines as the XK120. There's a beautiful sweep from the fenders that drops low by the occupants, then sweeps back up over the rear tire, whereas the XK150 just had a straight line back.

Which does the 140 resemble?

The 120 was the sleekest and with the most sensual lines. The 140 was close, but with larger, fatter bumpers and fatter ribs in the grill, while the 150 is even fatter still. Similar lines in all three, but your right the 150 did not have quite the low-slung doors that the 120 did. When I get some time I will se if I can find good pics of each to scan and post here.

Basil

Jeb

Hi Jerry....

Good 120s that don't break the bank are few and far between. If you have the money, they are wonderful but this is definitely the top of the money curve as far as pricing goes.

E-Types are still somewhat reasonable but bear in mind that if you buy a project, you need to be very careful that you don't get one that will bleed you dry and diminish your enthusiasm during the process. There are nice coupes available that don't command the prices of the roadsters and the Series II cars, though the least loved of the E-Types, are downright reasonable.

There are also the Series III cars with the V-12 if you want the beautiful monster.

As far as Triumphs go, you have a veritable cornucopia of choices. The TR-2s and 3s will give you the classic low-slung British look and feel, the TR-4s are a little more modern with roll up windows and heaters that work all right, the TR-250/5, my personal favorite, a transition car that has the classic TR-4 look with the TR-6 driveline, and the most modern of the series, the TR-6, of which there are many reasonable examples from which to choose.

Good luck in your quest!