• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Spitfire SPITFIRE ENGINES

sabot

Jedi Trainee
Hi all, first time post. just want to make sure.
I should have no problem dropping a 77 spitfire engine into
a 73 spit? Right?
The only problem I see right know is if the wife opens the
garage door and see's 4 spitfires out there instead of the normal 3.
thanks tom

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
You should have absolutely no problem making the swap. I have a Mk II spit that the last owner put a 1500 in it. Speaking of which do you have the 1296 for the MkIV? And if so would you consider selling it?

Cain

Jedi Trainee
[ QUOTE ]
The only problem I see right know is if the wife opens the
garage door and see's 4 spitfires out there instead of the normal 3.
thanks tom

[/ QUOTE ]

Tom,

I suggest installing large mirrors on each garage wall to make it look like an optical illusion that four spits are sitting there.

Regards,

rulle7

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Mirrors on each wall would make for an infinite number of spits...or an infinite number of reasons for a divorce, as it were. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Sabot, you will encounter a problem or two if you are using your old transmission and got new clutch parts for the new engine, I think the disk will have to be the old type, other than that everything else works. I have been wrong before so check that the new and old have the same number of teeth. Wayne

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
William,

Destroy the evidence before she can see find it.

Trevor Triumph

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Later engine to earlier car... The fly wheel and clutch assemblies are different. The '77, I believe, is a single rail transmission, the '73 a three rail transmission. My wife's '74 engine was connected to a three rail transmission. You'll need the the early fly wheel and clutch assembly. The bolts that hold the flywheel to the crankshaft are different and the clutch plate is a different size, and uses different size bolts. As far as engine mounts and connecting to the bell housing there is no problem. The pre '75 shaft from the transmission is a ten spline shaft, the late single rail transmission shaft is a twenty spline shaft. I had to remember that you are doing the opposite of my operation. I hope I haven't muddied the issue. Call Nigel at Spit Bits, I'll bet he can help. T.T.

OP
S

sabot

Jedi Trainee
hi all, thanks for the replys. i goofed and should have said
the 77 spit drive train, into a 73 spit. my 77 spit is being used as a parts car.

OP
S

sabot

Jedi Trainee
as far as i know it is the original engine in the 69spit. the car was in the process of being dismantled when i got it. so would that be the correct size moter for you? sorry,don't have my notes in front of me about the car. i have thought about trading or selling the car. but thats about it for know. m1sabot
can send more info if wanted.

MDCanaday

Jedi Knight
Sabot, dont just throw it straight in, take the oppertunity to freshen up the low end, since this is the achillies heal of the 1500. Unless you know this motor rather well infact, I would strip it down and give it a good looking at. Piston wear on a 1500 can become a problem even at 50k due to the extreemly short skirts.
MD(mad dog)

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Sabot,

I am actually rather interested in aquiring another engine for my MkII spit. I know the 1296 isn't any more kosher than the 1500 thats in it, but for me it would be preferable. Any info you have on the engine and if you will sell it would certainly intrest me.

OP
S

sabot

Jedi Trainee
hi walter, i think i'm not getting the hang of this darn
tread stuff and replying stuff, i don't even know if you will see this. if things work out in the next two weeks i should be unloading the 69 spit. i'll try and check out the engine. what kind of info on the moter are you looking for?
took care of the problem of 3 cars becoming 4.
i turned 3 of then sideways and slid them in close to one another, and then put up my paint booth curtain. now if i can just keep the kids out of the garage. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/patriot.gif

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I am looking for either an 1147cc engine or a 1296 cc engine to replace the 1493cc that the last owner put into my MkII. I would rather have one that is a little bit stouter than the 1500s lower end. Also I'd like to be able to drive the MkII as it is now, while I build a new engine for it to minimize the down time for it. If you are going to be selling your 69 whole I won't be interested, I am in enough trouble as it is with two spitfires, but if you are parting it then I'll be interested.