• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Spitfire Snapped a tab off a spitfire exhaust manifold.

Jorgen

Is there any recommendation on salvaging this disaster of a day? I just finally got the old exhaust pulled off my (wifes today since its acting up) 69 Spit. Ebay and craigslist don't seem to have any of the needed manifold available. I was hoping this exhaust swap woudl be an easy one but rusted bolts just wouldn't let that happen and one of the three exhast to header tabs is gone now. If anyone has one of these around that they want to unload reasonably please let me know, otherwise I will just have to keep searching Ebay and craiglist until someone lists the needed part.

I was really hoping to drive this thing again this weekend. After just finishing a round of brakes the only thing left today was the exhaust before hitting putting it down for a few spins around the block to most likely chake out more problems.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
If you've got the broken ear, you might call around and see if anyone in your area can weld or braze cast iron. There are some special techniques required, but it can be done.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Stanpart #308086 was used on the Mk3, MkIV and even the early (non-catalyst) 1500. Some of the ones from the later 1500 might have an extra hole for the EGR, but that can be plugged with a bolt.

Try teamtriumph.com or tsimportedautomotive.com. Spitbits also lists them but suggests to call for price!

71MKIV

Jedi Warrior
I got one, in reasonable shape, one stud is missing from the ear, but otherwise intact. plop it in the electric rust removal vat and away you go.

OP
J

Jorgen

71MKIV I sent you a message. Though my exhaust was attached to the manifold with bolts not studs and nuts, maybe that is part of the problem here.

Other than that I wasn't sure if you woudl weld or repair cast like that. Those bolts were so rusted into mine that I was suprised only one broke off.

71MKIV

Jedi Warrior
If you salvaged the piece that broke off, the manifold is probably repairable.
here at the shop where I work we do that kind of thing on an almost daily basis.

OP
J

Jorgen

I definately have the piece still. I will try to find a shop somewhere around here tomorrow. I assume this is going to be something I will have a search for around the Detroit area but someone should be able to pull it off.

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag
If you get desperate I have one off a Mk3. Four flange holes "OK", don't know the status of the threads, Two studs broken off. Bob

OP
J

Jorgen

Bob, Thanks. 4 flange holes though? Mine definately has three as does the exhaust that is sitting here waiting to mount to it.

OP
J

Jorgen

Well after looking the part over at the local fab shop we found a few more cracks and decided this thing just may not be worth repairing.

71MKIV you have another message, let me know.

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Jorgen, color me ignorant. Spare exhaust manifold is from an MGB ! Years ago I switched my Mk3 to headers and thought I kept the original. No such luck, MGB manifold came from a parts car I stripped 4 or 5 years ago. Sorry for the misleading non-information. Bob