• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Body Off Restoration on TR3 [long post]

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
OK, I'm embroiled in a complete restoration on my TR3, VIN 23677. The body needs more work then I think is worth putting into, so I acquired a complete (shell and all outer panels) body, but it's a 60k+. That means that there a lot of differences. The biggest problems I've noted to date are listed below.

1. Wiring harness has spade connectors. Are there any other differences in the wiring, other then the connectors??
2. Wedge vs. Dzus fastener side curtains. No problem, I have the late doors and a set of the late side curtains.
3. Interior components. Since I'm completely re-doing the interior, no problem.
4. Different fuel tank. I have both tanks, and both are good. Which one will be the easiest fit using the original fuel lines.
5. This is my biggest problem that I see. Windscreens. I only have the early one. Should I hunt down a later one, or mount the early slider assemblies to the scuttle and use the eary windscreen??

I probably haven't yet seen all the differences that will affect this resto job, so if there are some I've missed, please let me know.

MDCanaday

Jedi Knight
The big external givaway is the raised bosses of the hinges for the bonnet and boot.
Buy a new wiring harness correct for the car, you will never be sorry you did!!!
You should use the latter tank if its serviceable.
Mad dog

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Martx -

Ditto what MD said. I'm unaware of any differences in the windscreens and stanchions. Maybe someone else can address that; I was under the impression that they were the same throughout the TR3 production.

Regarding the sidescreens, the dzus mounts were less obtrusive and a bit more positive in their locking arrangements. A big complaint was the wedge mounts being so big as to present a problem with banging one's elbow or knee. Mine haven't been an issue, however.

Mickey

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
The body of a 60k+ car will require you to use the later fuel tank, otherwise the outlet won't fit (you'd need to bend it.) You'll also want to make sure you get the seat tracks where you like them in the new floors, since with the 60K+ cars you lose 6 inches of possible leg room with the actual package shelf in there. (I'm tall, and liked the leg room in my old 45,396 car as opposed to my 62something car now.

Keep in mind that after 60,000, the car doors no longer had wood frames, so that's a good thing for making sure your lift-the-dot studs stay in.

Other than that, there are a bunch of rolling changes between 20K and 60K (brake drum size.)

As with the windscreen, you either need new sliders or old stanchions...although you're old car might provide the ones you need. The windshields are the same, I believe.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Yes, there are wiring differences... panel light rheostat, wiper motor wiring and inline fuse for lights come to mind. All easily dealt with once you decide which car you're building (23677 or 6xxxx).

If there is a choice, I would prefer the earlier stanchions since they let you slide the windscreen off the car quite easily. I often use an aeroscreen -- but if you are not inclined to do this then it may not matter.

[Mickey - FYI, the later TR3As had a the windscreen bolted in place, i.e. no dzus fasteners & did not slide off.]

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
[Mickey - FYI, the later TR3As had a the windscreen bolted in place, i.e. no dzus fasteners & did not slide off.]

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't know that! Learn something new every day, don't we? Mine is supposed to slide off, but is REALLY tight. Don't plan to take it off, anyway!

Mickey

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
I learned the hard way about the stanchions. I bought a pair on ebay about 5 years ago for my '59 and the stanchions turned out to be from a late build car (like a TR3B.) After wrecking one of my dzuz fastners (and scratching my head for about 20 minutes,) I realized the depth of the holes between stanchions (old and new) were different.

But 60,000 is not the change date for stanchions -- and there has been some speculation over the years on where the change actually happened. I've heard "TR3Bs only" and I've heard 1961-era cars, but no specific date -- my late 60 has original style stanchions.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
I learned the hard way about the stanchions. I bought a pair on ebay about 5 years ago for my '59 and the stanchions turned out to be from a late build car (like a TR3B.) After wrecking one of my dzuz fastners (and scratching my head for about 20 minutes,) I realized the depth of the holes between stanchions (old and new) were different.

But 60,000 is not the change date for stanchions -- and there has been some speculation over the years on where the change actually happened. I've heard "TR3Bs only" and I've heard 1961-era cars, but no specific date -- my late 60 has original style stanchions.

[/ QUOTE ]

One thing I have learned about these great LBC's is that there weren't any hard and fast dates for changes, and much of what came out of the factories was at the whim of the workers, and what was available at the time.

According to the build records, my TR3 came with blue leather upholstery and no heater. But it clearly had a heater (may have been a dealer installation), and the upholstery was vinyl in the color "stone." When I restored it, I chose a combination that was offered that year, pearl white with red interior. Even if I had wanted to make it "original", it seems I had a choice, and could have made a case in any concours competition.

Mickey

OP
martx-5

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Well, the body that I've acquired definitely has the late style windscreen attachment. I assumed 60k+, as that is when most of the other changes were, and it does have all the other 60k+ changes such as raised hinge plinths, squared off section behind the seats, etc. I do use the aero screens. Why would using the later style windscreen be a problem?? Is it too difficult to remove?? If so, I'll stick with the early style.

Just remember, the only change I'm making is with the body shell itself. All of the other components for this car are for a 23677. I'm not interested in originality. There are enough other TR3's out there to fulfill this role. I just want a fun, reliable TR I can flog around on the weekends.

By the way, this is all great stuff...keep the info flowing.