• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Wedge My new toy: 1981 TR-8

JodyFKerr

Jedi Knight
So here's what got me sidetracked from looking at TR6's.... 1981 Triumph TR-8 In Argent Silver with blue interior. Exterior is a 10 footer. I'll wash it & polish it, but I'm happy with the paint & body as is for a driver car.

003.JPG

A few minor dents and dings, but nothing really worth mentioning!

005.JPG

Interior is in overall good shape. Carpet is good but faded. No cracks in the dash, everything's there and works. Even the clock and stereo!

007.JPG

My wife and daughter get a total kick out of the plaid interior. Seat padding doesn't feel the greatest on the driver's side, may need fresh cushion.

008.JPG

Engine's a little funky The FI has been removed in lieu of an edelbrock carburetor. The surge tank sits where the AC compressor should be (It was missing on the car). There's some other minor odd modifications, but nothing that's not eventually correctable.

023.JPG

The convertible top (as well as top cover) are in excellent shape! plastic is 95% clear, and everything works neatly.

034.JPG

The rest of the pics on Picasa here: https://picasaweb.google.com/jodyfkerr/MyNewTR8#

Jody

Dale

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Congrats Jody! Great Score. It does baffle me why anyone would take the FI off. Did you get the bits from the PO? Have Fun

OP
JodyFKerr

JodyFKerr

Jedi Knight
The modifications had been done by a previous owner to the previous owner. :smile:

While I did get a box of bits, none of the FI or the Compressor were in them. Mainly fiddly stuff.

Since I'm going to drive rather than fix right now I'm not too worried. I'll acquire them eventually.

Jody

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
So do you still need the info on the A/c for those other cars. Or, you went this way instead?

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Looks good, Jody!

The A/C compressor is mounted on the driver's side, above the power steering pump. Looks like your expansion tank is where it should be. I believe it was moved from the passenger side strut tower to your location with the change to FI.

Mickey

Dale

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Did this one ever have A/C Jody? I don't see the knob for it next to the dash light dimmer, and the fan speed indicator is 3 2 1 on the A/C cars. I've got a couple spare strut turret caps. I'll try to get you one in the mail.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Good call, Dale! Didn't see that. Looks like it never had A/C. Probably one of the few!

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
DNK said:
What's the knob next to the cig lighter?

Left to right in mine: Lighter, dash light dimmer, A/C on/off switch.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
That's it, I forgot as I hardly ever drive mine at night.

OP
JodyFKerr

JodyFKerr

Jedi Knight
DNK said:
So do you still need the info on the A/c for those other cars. Or, you went this way instead?

Well, I blew my allowance buying this, so, I'll likely not be adding a TR6 or a MGB to the family any time soon. :smile:

OP
JodyFKerr

JodyFKerr

Jedi Knight
Dale said:
Did this one ever have A/C Jody? I don't see the knob for it next to the dash light dimmer, and the fan speed indicator is 3 2 1 on the A/C cars. I've got a couple spare strut turret caps. I'll try to get you one in the mail.

There's a couple oddities on the car. The PO mentioned "replacing the cigarette lighter" in passing at some point. I dunno if that means the whole section. I'm 99% certain it did have A/C. There are a pair of A/C hoses un attached in the engine bay which are tucked up under the engine by the front cross member. The fan does have three speeds: slow, mildly slow and *cough*.

Thanks for the spare bits. That reminds me I need to send back those Spitfire books!

Jody

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Jody,

Arizona,British car,no A/C - you the man!

- Doug

OP
JodyFKerr

JodyFKerr

Jedi Knight
AngliaGT said:
Jody,

Arizona,British car,no A/C - you the man!

- Doug

Yeah, there's a lot of irony there... but, I'll live it down eventually as long as the wife doesn't find out.

So it appears that I at least have the pulley for the AC on the front of the car (based on other people's photos that the pulley used). And, from what I've figured so far, there isn't a A/C and Non-A/C wiring harness.

So, based off that, if I can get my hands on the brackets, compressor, condensor, & lines I can fairly simply add it to the engine compartment.

The one thing I can't tell so far is whether or not the A/C & Heater are two separate units, or if it's a combine unit. If it's combined, then I need to swap out what I've got in there for an AC one.

Compared to my other "dumb ideas" that's not too unreasonable.

Heck, Dale's seen some of my Jensen Healey Whiz-bangery ...half that stuff has to be fabbed from scratch.

V

vagt6

Nice score, Jody. You're gonna love restoring and driving this car.

I remember the debut of the TR-8, much anticipated and very popular at the time. Sadly, the last hurrah for this storied marque.

I'm constantly amazed at how the pricing on these exciting and beautiful Triumph cars has not escalated. It wouldn't surprise me if someday the market really embraced this great car.

Take good care of her, treat her right, and enjoy! :thumbsup:

GBRandy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Congrats! And welcome to the party!

I think all 1981's shipped with FI & A/C. I think a switch on the dash was made somewhere along the way.

All non-A/C cars shipped with footwell vents...it is hard to tell, but it doesn't look like you have them. But you should! They rock...A/C or not.

The charcoal canisters are all gone.

The burp tank is right where it should be.

Overall a nice car....welcome to the group!

Randy

EDIT - BTW, here is what an A/C dash look like:

TR8Radio.jpg