• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Works rally tribute car... sorta done

HealeyPassion

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Fellow Healeycrazies,

I got my car done for the Conclave!!... well not "done done" but "sorta done." I finished on the Friday before the Sunday Conclave start... you can see images of it here.

Current status July 25, 2010

It took a ton of work and scheduling to get it done for the Conclave but it was worth it. I've got some things to finish up and a few things to sort out.

The main goal is to start driving it! We did a 120 tour in our newly completed BJ7 at the Conclave with Eric and Tara Hendrickson in their stunning Gold level BJ8.

It really is a nice driver.

Cheers,
Steve Thomton
1963 3000 MKII BJ7, Works Rally tribute w/EFI, etc.
https://stevesaustinhealey.com

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Steve--

Your car looks outstanding. I like the Heuer clock on the dash. I have an authentic Heuer Monte Carlo set (clock and stopwatch) mounted on an original chrome plate that I have never been ble to find a place for. It had not occurred to me to mount them separately on the passenger side--perhaps I should check that out.

I love those seats. Where did you get them or are they custom made. I seldom like non-Healey seats in Healeys but those look dynamite and comfortable as well!

hama61

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Hello Steve,

First of all congratulations on your well deserved trophy for all the work you have done.

Your car looks stunning. With much intersted I had followed your progress and the many adjustments you had made during this period 0n your BJ 7.

Enjoy the miles and happy Healeying

Harry

OP
HealeyPassion

HealeyPassion

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Michael,
The watch addition to the dash was a bit more involved than it may appear. Look at the dash picture closely and you will notice that the dash has been recontoured to provide room for the clock. I envy you having original Heuers... if you want to sell them :yesnod: let me know. I had one back in the day but have no idea what happened to it. This one is a knock-off from Belgian.

The seats are Ridgard period rally seats with inflatable Ricaro lumbar support. Attached is my project paper on the seats.

Rally seats project

Cheers,
Steve

andrea

Jedi Knight
Country flag
:cheers:
Hi Steve
Congratulations - car are very impressive it look as a Rally AH -with a lot of upgrades inside
-good job
-haw may hours have you spent on it?
cheers
Andrea

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Wonderful job! I know that "done" means something today but I am sure you will find things to tinker with in the future. I "finished" mine about 6 months ago, but spent 8 hours correcting some stuff this weekend.

Planning is very important in these projects. Like your Fuel injection and dedicating the back seat to the computer and other stuff. Planning ahead saves lots of time. I added in an electric fan this weekend and it would have been so much easier if the front shroud was off!

Good luck with your car. We hope to see you at a show, (so we can switch seats!)

Jerry
BJ8

OP
HealeyPassion

HealeyPassion

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Andrea, I've got over 3,000 hours since I started counting... which was mid 2006.

Thanks for the comments!

Cheers,
Steve

Country flag
HealeyPassion said:
Fellow Healeycrazies,

I got my car done for the Conclave!!... well not "done done" but "sorta done." I finished on the Friday before the Sunday Conclave start... you can see images of it here.

Current status July 25, 2010

It took a ton of work and scheduling to get it done for the Conclave but it was worth it. I've got some things to finish up and a few things to sort out.

The main goal is to start driving it! We did a 120 tour in our newly completed BJ7 at the Conclave with Eric and Tara Hendrickson in their stunning Gold level BJ8.

It really is a nice driver.

Cheers,
Steve Thomton
1963 3000 MKII BJ7, Works Rally tribute w/EFI, etc.
https://stevesaustinhealey.com

WOW....for a car that's not "done"...that's spectacular! If I send you my MkI Jaguar, will you send it back in a similar state of not "done"??! :laugh:

Kudos to you, your efforts and your car! :cheers:

OP
HealeyPassion

HealeyPassion

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Peter, well you'd have to agree to having the Jag gone for about 4 1/2 years :nonod: .... which you might find unacceptable.

Thanks,
Steve

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
"I envy you having original Heuers... if you want to sell them let me know. I had one back in the day but have no idea what happened to it. This one is a knock-off from Belgian."
---------------------------
Steve--

I bought them back in the 1970's at a flea market for something like $25.00 and kept them by the navigation station in the pilothouse of my boat, more for show than anything else. Though this was a weathertight location nevertheless they suffered in a mariine environment and the faces got somewhat corroded, etc. I sold the boat several years back and sent the set off to a watchmaker in the Chicago area who completely refurbished and cleaned them for about $600.00. I believe they have a value of a couple thousand and I just can't bear the thought of attaching them to the dash of my 100 only to find them missing, so they sit in a drawer waiting patiently for the right application....

OP
HealeyPassion

HealeyPassion

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Michael, I love those old Heuers but, even after years have looking, have never found one at a reasonable price to put in a car. My fear would be the same as yours... stolen. So in the end the knock-off looks good, is more reasonably priced, and does the job... ah but it's not a "Heuer" :nonod:

But if you do want a nice place to display them I offer my dash :laugh:

Cheers,
Steve

Country flag
Where can you get the knockoffs?

Maybe a Master Clock/Stopwatch combination could be comfortable in my newly outfitted interior too... ?

Door and kick panels are due to ship this week; they were a special order for a 2-seater.

IMG_0763.sized.jpg

Country flag
HealeyPassion said:
Peter, well you'd have to agree to having the Jag gone for about 4 1/2 years :nonod: .... which you might find unacceptable.

Thanks,
Steve

LoL :lol:

Heck, it'll be 4 1/2 years for ME to get it finished!! What's the address? :jester:

Seriously though, that is a very nice job you've done on your car. :smile:

OP
HealeyPassion

HealeyPassion

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Randy,
I got my rally clock from Belmog in Belgium... it's a Herwins.

Link to Belmog website

As you can see they carry a bunch of clock/watch rally things.

Cheers,
Steve

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
HealeyPassion said:
Randy,
I got my rally clock from Belmog in Belgium... it's a Herwins.

Link to Belmog website

As you can see they carry a bunch of clock/watch rally things.

Cheers,
Steve

Lots of nice stuff on that site. I think I need a set of twin stopwatches and a Curta calculator to go with my Halda Speedpilot.

IMG_0103.jpg

HealeyPassionJr

Freshman Member
Very cool to see the works car finally done.....I speak for your whole family when I say......WELCOME BACK. :smile:

I havent seen the car for 2 months (baby due July 15th caused me to miss the conclave), but cannot wait to see the finished product. I did have the pleasure of driving it for over an hour in May (with no interior, hood, boot, lights, etc).

PS - I am a new member today....and not yet a Healey owner.....but I just committed to buy my uncles '59 100/6 (this fall sometime), which has been in our family 45 someodd years. Cannot wait to get the car from Chicago out to Reno!

Country flag
HealeyPassionJr said:
Very cool to see the works car finally done.....I speak for your whole family when I say......WELCOME BACK. :smile:

I havent seen the car for 2 months (baby due July 15th caused me to miss the conclave), but cannot wait to see the finished product. I did have the pleasure of driving it for over an hour in May (with no interior, hood, boot, lights, etc).

PS - I am a new member today....and not yet a Healey owner.....but I just committed to buy my uncles '59 100/6 (this fall sometime), which has been in our family 45 someodd years. Cannot wait to get the car from Chicago out to Reno!

I live in Chicago and have family and friends in Reno! Pick me up and take me back with you!! :laugh: LoL

HealeyPassionJr

Freshman Member
Silverghost said:
I live in Chicago and have family and friends in Reno! Pick me up and take me back with you!! :laugh: LoL

Better yet, pick up my Healey in Wheaton and drive it out.....we can go 50/50 on gas. Bring a toolbox.