• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

When is the best time to install an antisway bar?

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
I am just now starting to put together the front suspension in my Bugeye. The engine, transmission, and radiator are not back in yet. It never had an antisway bar before, and I have no idea how to install it. I just have few questions for now. When is the best time to install this? I bougth a used stock sway bar on Ebay a while back. Are there specific measurements that the antisway bar plates bolt to the wishpans? I really need to keep moving on putting this thing all back together, and I am hoping it is no big deal to add it later, preferably before I put the engine and transmission in. Any thoughts?
Thanks, Kevin

GeeBee1

Jedi Knight
Kevin:

You can do it later, actually you are better off with the chassis loaded. I am assuming that it is a stock later bar. I would just make sure your arms have the three wholes in them and one is left and right.

Pat

Dug

Jedi Trainee
Kevin, do your A-arms have the holes in them now?
If not, I have a template I can email to you as a pdf should you wish.

Dug

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
December

preferably while the car is stopped.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
:lol: Thank you JP an' Mark! I thought this thread wuz gonna be all too seer-ious an' stuff.

livinginthepast

Jedi Trainee
Install your bar when the wolfsbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright.

DrEntropy said:
:lol: Thank you JP an' Mark! I thought this thread wuz gonna be all too seer-ious an' stuff.

Your Welcome!
We are here all week- 4 shows daily.

m

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
SilentUnicorn said:
DrEntropy said:

Your Welcome!
We are here all week- 4 shows daily.

m

don't forget to tip your waitress

Brian_James

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Dug said:
Kevin, do your A-arms have the holes in them now?
If not, I have a template I can email to you as a pdf should you wish.

Dug
I would also like that template. I sent you a PM with my email address.

I have a question about mounting the sway-bar at the frame rails. What have people done to mount them on cars that did not originally have one installed?

Brian

Country flag
GeeBee1 said:
Kevin:

You can do it later, actually you are better off with the chassis loaded. I am assuming that it is a stock later bar. I would just make sure your arms have the three wholes in them and one is left and right.

Pat

Well, one of my arms IS a left and one's a right, but NEITHER have 3 (w)holes in them....BUT each has 4 fingers and a thumb and appear to be be OEM...guess I'll just have to live with them..... :laugh:

G

good material I'll have to pass on again due to respect for the board ....

gotta luv the straight man

m

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
Brian, I have two Bugeyes that did not appear to have antisway bars originally, but both have four tapped holes for the mounting brackets. Have you looked underneath the rails to see if there are already holes for the mounting brackets?
Kevin

Brian_James

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Thanks Kevin. I've looked and there are no holes. Maybe there is enough meat there to drill and tap. I was hoping someone who has done would chime in.

It must be raining in more places than just Houston since this place is looking a little like the Spridget mailing list. :smile:

Brian

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
Let me know if you need to know measurements on where the holes are drilled or if you need a picture of this area. Hopefully someone will contribute that has done this before.
Kevin

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
While I don't know this to be true, others (notably Tony) would have chimed in right now and said you can't drill the A-arms for a sway bar as it would weaken them. According to him (and others) you either bought them with the holes drilled or didn't put on a sway bar but that they were either hardened or reinforced.

Once again I don't know this to be true - just sayin' is all.

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
The later pans WERE reinforced for the swaybars. I for one am hesitant to install a sway bar on non-reinforced pans but that is just me.
BillM

OP
I

ichthos

Darth Vader
Country flag
I have seen the wishbone pans that were reinforced. The thickness of the reinforcements looks no thicker than a washer or two if I remember correctly. Why couldn't one just put one of two grade eight washer behind each bolt? I think Apple Hydraulics sells wishbones with the reinforcements. I wish I would have considered this when I had my wishbones rebuilt a few years ago.
Kevin

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I'm with BillM. The spring pans for the bar do have a re-enforced attachment point for the bar uprights. Tapered. It would be best to get the 'proper' ones if ya decide to do this, Kev. I would think the washers could allow the loads and stresses to cause them to shift and eventually crack the pan itself. Not worth the risk, IMO.