• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Details on wiring routing

tlmorgan

Freshman Member
I am putting together my 66 E after it returned from the paint shop, but I don't know exactly where the wiring harness runs. I know it goes along the upper rail to the front frame, then down, along the lower front frame, up again, and by now it's mostly a few wires that go the various sensors or switches on the R side of the motor. How and where is it attached, especially under the heater box? I have a new strapping kit to attach it to the frame rails. Also, where does the positive battery cable run?

The moral: take more pictures before you take it apart! It could be several years before you need to recall these details.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Terry

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Originally posted by tlmorgan:
I am putting together my 66 E after it returned from the paint shop, but I don't know exactly where the wiring harness runs. I know it goes along the upper rail to the front frame, then down, along the lower front frame, up again, and by now it's mostly a few wires that go the various sensors or switches on the R side of the motor. How and where is it attached, especially under the heater box? I have a new strapping kit to attach it to the frame rails. Also, where does the positive battery cable run?

The moral: take more pictures before you take it apart! It could be several years before you need to recall these details.

Thanks in advance for the help.
Terry

I've got a video that shows most of the wire harness being removed from a 67 E with commentary by the owner as to where things are connected. It deals mostly with inside the car (behind the dash, etc.) I also have a few pics of other ETypes that may show some of the under hood wiring. I'll try to find those and send them along. Also, since your not far from me in Sata Fe, maybe I could swing up that way on of these weekends and see if I could be of some help.

Cheers,
Basil

[This message has been edited by Basil (edited 10-19-2001).]

koolkat

Greetings, I have a ' 68 OTS that may be of help, althought I have changed a number of items under the bonnet for reliability / performance. Regarding the positive cable, mine attaches to the "power bar" just under the heater box,drivers side of course. The power bar has an interesting insulation feature that protectes it from being grounded. Let me know if I can help.
Mike Goodwin
Phoenix

OP
T

tlmorgan

Freshman Member
Mike,
Thanks for reminding me about the "power bar". I had forgotten that was where the battery cable attached.

The main harness splits into two branches under the heater box; one branch goes to the alternator and the other eventually goes to the other side of the engine compartment. Since the alternator is right next to where the main harness passes, why does it split so far back? Are these two branches mounted along different frame rails?

Where does the wiring harness mount on the right side of the engine compartment? It breaks into two main branches after it comes up from the "picture frame" and, until I get the engine in and figure out which wire goes to where, it's not obvious where these two branches should be routed.

Thanks again for any details...

Terry

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Originally posted by koolkat:
Greetings, I have a ' 68 OTS that may be of help, althought I have changed a number of items under the bonnet for reliability / performance. Regarding the positive cable, mine attaches to the "power bar" just under the heater box,drivers side of course. The power bar has an interesting insulation feature that protectes it from being grounded. Let me know if I can help.
Mike Goodwin
Phoenix

koolcat, do you still have the original wiring in your car? If so, you may be of some help to me as well in getting the routing under the bonnet just right. I "think" I know how most of it goes, but exact locations for wire clips, etc., is somewhat of a mystery.

BAsil