• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 TR250 TR6 Rear Springs

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I have three sets of rear springs for my TR250. Everything I read said the rear springs are too soft and you should upgrage, so I bought some heavy duty rear springs on E-bay of unknown origin. Then a read more and read that some heavy duty springs are too heavy duty. I am sure that is what I got.

So....I got the Moss heavy duty springs, these are supposed to be 20% stiffer than stock, when I got them I measured and they are between the stock springs and the heavy heavy duty ones in diameter. So far so good.

But it seems like a lot of people are selling their heavy duty springs on E-bay and going back to stock. So anyone have the voice of experience, should I fit the stock or the 20% stiffer?

The car is intended to be an all arounder, touring, zipping around town, occasional autocross. I want it to handle like a sports car, but don't want it to ride like a 3 ton truck without a load, I know I can experiment, but I would rather get the ones I like on the first.....er 2nd time, I also have a rear tube shock conversion (fitted) and front and rear ant-roll bars (not yet fitted). One thought is the stock springs and anti-roll bar may get me the closest to what I want.

P.S. the car is not yet on the road, so I can't just fit a pair and see what I like, if that is what you were thinking of writing.

P.P.S. The super heavy duty are marrked with two white and one yellow paint markings, the Moss heavy duty are marked red green red.

D

DougF

My spare set of "competition" springs are not on the car because of the ride height they gave. There was a huge gap from the bottom of the wheel arch to the top of the tire, especially with my 205/60-15. The car almost looked like a 4x4 conversion.
Mine were purchased in the early '90s from TRF.

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
I was real happy with these. They are 1" shorter but settle less thereby making the ride height just fine. You may consider the 1/2" spacers, but I didn't need them. https://goodparts.com/shop/index.php?productID=280
Here's a picture of the car with the springs and the new owner.
PhilCrawford.jpg

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Doug,

I bought TRF's SAH1081 for my TR4A back in 1982 and they were listed as "competition rear springs" at the time. I was pretty happy with the end result comparing front and rear ride height. You just used the rubber packing right?

TR4A-31985.jpg

Poolboy's picture look really nice and are probably more relevant though to what's being supplied today. Looks like TRF is selling these as well in case you can get them during a sale.

The Roadster Factory TR6 suspension page

COMPETITION SPRING KITS,by Richard Good at Good Parts
HG6 HP132 Competition Spring Kit;
includes a matched set of front and rear road springs,
lowers ride height by approx. one inch and provides a 20% increase in spring rate;
comes with a set of urethane spring packings

Scott

D

DougF

Yes, I did use the rubber packing. I didn't notice the gap as much when I had them on my old car.
I bought Richard Good's springs when I restored my current car and have been very happy with them.

cheseroo

Jedi Trainee
slightly off topic but in the boxes of stuff I got with these cars I just bought was a new set of springs. I'm trying to figure out if they are stock, lowered or what. 1 set is 11 1/2" with a 3 13/16 diameter. The other 2 are 10 1/4" with a 4" diameter. Any ideas?

OP
glemon

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Rich, my stock rears are about 11" 3 13/16" diameter and the have a half inch round coil. Which means they are either later TR6 that have sagged a little or TR4a long springs, so I am now confused about my "stock" as in came with the car, springs as well.

The moss heavy duty rears are about 11 1/4" same diameter, 9/16" coil.

The super heavy duty are about 10 1/2" with a 37/64" coil

The Moss fronts are about 9 1/2 long and 4" diameter.

rjc157

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
i bought the ones from moss and the car sits way to high looks stupid now i have to spend another 200 to get a lower sports car look

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I have not fitted the springs I bought from TRF but measured, rears look to be
same as Scott has:

SAH 1081 11 3/4", .535 coil, 3 13/16" dia., marked with red and green dabs of paint. Says uprated 1968-1972 made in USA on sticker.

Front:

SAH 606 10 1/8", .541 coil, 4" dia., slightly thicker due to rubber coating that the rears don't have.
Says comp. grade made in USA on sticker.

Phone conversation with TRF told me stock height, 20% stiffer.

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
20% stiffer but stock height may sit the car up higher as they may not compress as much as original weight springs when all is said and done.. At least that was my experience.

sunbeam25

Freshman Member
wow I got the goodparts 470lb for rear. removed old springs to replace. only have had the car for a year so do not know the history. looks like some one cut the old springs and added 1" spacer. strange but the height on the old cut springs and spacer were same as goodparts so installed. man those are stiff. no way they will work unless I want to raise front end and go 4 wheelin. at least a 6" gap maybe more no reason to even measure. when trying to compress with jack under trailing arm I could only get axle perpendicular then the jack would lift the car

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
glemon, I got Richard Goods springs for my TR250 and can't be happier. I use mine like yours for around town, fun drives and the occasional auto cross. Never thought they were too stiff for the road over 25k miles. Perfect ride height. Many of the heavy duty springs out there give too high of a ride height and looks terrible. I did use one 1/4" spacer on the front because I was uncomfortable with how close the front tire was to the fender. Experts thought it was ok but my concerns have vanished.

Attachments

• 2004_0217Image0008.jpg
    2004_0217Image0008.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 87
OP
glemon

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks, 10 year old thread, I still have the car, still have the stock springs. Spacers under the front pans and I think the rears have sagged so car is lowered a bit too. I am happy with the handling and ride, the sway bars make a huge difference.

Got_All_4

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
A lot of the new springs out there ruin the ride height and handling of these cars. Some look silly too.

I'm rebuilding a 1969 TR6 and plain on using the original springs. Would love to do Richard Goods but trying to keep cost down plus I've never driven a TR6 with factory springs.