• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Detailed Schematics

DJThom

Jedi Hopeful
OK, so I get the Lotus Elan S2 home. Now comes the fun part...putting it all together when I wasn't the one who took it apart and have never worked on one of these before. I have the Dave Bean parts catalogue and the Workshop manual, but there are several areas where there is not enough detail (e.g. door hardware, mechanisms, window mechanisms).

Is there a better source for schematics?

TypeRboy

Jedi Warrior
If you can borrow one of the Factory parts manuals from somebody, that might help. It certainly helped me, i was in the same boat as you. My car was stripped to the last nut and bolt. Even the heater fan was in pieces! Then on top of it a number of bits from other cars acumulated as well, so sometimes I was trying to figure out how to fit bits and pieces that didn't even belong!

The parts manual has excellent blowup diagrams of bits and tells you which series of cars they fit. It will even tell you if you need a left and a right or if parts are interchangeable from side to side, or back to front etc.

Couldn't have done it without one. Also the twincam engine by Miles Wilkens is an excellent book for putting the motor back together.

Are you close enough to borrow my parts list? I'm in BC Canada.. If you just need specific pages, i could also send copies to you..

Hegg

Jedi Hopeful
I've been in the same situation with my +2. I have 2 copies of the shop manual, plus a 3rd party workshop manual, the Dave Bean catalog, and a few other resources. I found that the information is good in some areas, but very lacking in others. For example, I can't find anything that describes how the vaccuum lines hook up to the carbs/engine/distributor/headlights, etc. But if you want to know the exact dimensions and material that one of the front suspension wishbones is, it's all there.

I hope you can find some good resources for the baby Elan, and it sounds like TypeRboy might have a good manual with blowup pics.

Good luck, and welcome to another Elan owner!

Hegg