• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Looking for a new car

PATR8

Jedi Knight
I am looking for a new car. Let me start by explaining why... I am getting a new position and I will be driving about 100 miles each way, everyday, for the next year. This is because my daughter is a senior and I would not want to make her move schools and my son leaves for for VMI in two months.

So what ever car i choose needs to be capable of handling serious miles. Sadly, I really have a need for this car for just 1 year. I will not be trading my Dodge truck in but the milage prohibits it from being a daily commuter, my 8 could not handle that many miles with the limited maintenance time I would be able to provide. My son's Volvo will be moved to the garage for a extended maintenance period (for the fall semester at least).

Here is what I am considering

2010 Kia Forte Koup SX. 6 speed, 172 HP, 100,000 warranty. $20.000

2008 Chrysler CrossFire 6 speed (3.2 liter Merc engine) 12,000 miles on it, 100,000 warranty $14,500

2011 Mustang coupe 6 speed, 300 HP V6, 60,000 mile warranty $25,000

ANy ideas. any other suggestions?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Twelve months of 100 mile a day round trips? A four or five year old Camry or Civic! When you're done with it, it'll sell for as much as you buy it for. Or very close.

V

vagt6

I feel your pain regarding the commute. I took a new job at the first of the year that includes a 66 mile commute each way. Nice, divided highway with practically no traffic (U.S. 29S from C'ville to Lynchburg), but lotsa miles. Only two stop lights until I get near Lynchburg. Not a bad trip, really.

The first problem is deciding on the price range of the next car: do I purchase a $20,000-$30,000 car new and trade it after about 50-60K miles? OR, buy a fairly cheap, lightly used car?

I'm now driving an '05 MINI S, not badly suited for the job. I'm averaging 31 MPG, very good considering that the trip is across a very hilly/mountainous terrain. But the MINI must have premium grade gas. Can't use regular gas, says the dealership mechanic and the Owner's Manual.

Downside to the MINI S: it's loud. Tire noise, engine noise from the sport exhaust (stock) is almost deafening. After riding in my wife's new Ford Fusion, the MINI sounds like a NASCAR Chevy!

UPside to MINI S: Fuel economy, but most of all, it's got POWER.

I've done a lot of research and still have no clue which way to go with the next commuter car. Right now, I'm leaning tward anont MINIS, a lightly used one. I"m also thinking about a used Prelude or Camry.

Wat do you guys think: what would you buy, and how long would you drive it before trading?? IN other words, when' (milelage) the best time to get out of a car in order to get optimal value?

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I'm probably gonna get slammed for saying, but that Crossfire would be mighty tempting!

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Mickey Richaud said:
I'm probably gonna get slammed for saying, but that Crossfire would be mighty tempting!

Yeah, you're going to get slammed. (2 Corinthians 5:7)

Buy something small and Japanese or diesel. You want utterly reliable, great gas mileage. Civic, Corolla, Sentra, Mazda 3 would be the top of my list. Kia, Hyundai have certainly made strides too. Or, VW rabbit.

Get the plain jane commuter car and then pour your love into your TR8.

another possibility, buy your daughter something sporty and drive hers till it's dead.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
JPSmit said:
Mickey Richaud said:

Ummm... :confuse:

OP
PATR8

PATR8

Jedi Knight
It is actually closer to a 250 mile round trip each day. (117 miles each way)

I really like the Crossfire, figure it can go to my son after his 2nd year at VMI. It still should be cool even then and we are quirky with cars, don't want anything too common. Milage is around 28 MPG.

The Kia is a sweet little car but I would bet that in the next 2 years they will become the Civics of yesterday. Sporty and cheap, I bet they have coffee can exhaust for them already.

The Mustang, I am drawn to because it is cheap, 30 MPG and 300 HP. My daughter would cry if I brought it home. As far as running her VW into the ground, it is her baby, her 16th birthday present. I have come home to find she has pulled my 8 out of the garage and pulled Penelope in the garage to vaccumm her. Short of offering her a Mustang, I doubt it will leave the driveway with out her in it

OP
PATR8

PATR8

Jedi Knight
Any other suggestions? I thought of a beater ( a Jetta diesel in particular) but it it too much seat time to be in a car I hate.

Besides, the Diesel VW are expensive, the nicest one I found around $10,000 had 154,000 miles on it.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Mickey Richaud said:
JPSmit said:
Mickey Richaud said:

Ummm... :confuse:

That was an oblique reference to choosing a Chrysler product as transportation and needing faith not sight(evidence) to do so. Here a quote from a quick review I pulled up.

"If you are tall just forget buying this car unless you don't mind your knees touching the dash," blogged the owner of a '04 model. If you're anything over six feet, you'll probably find the cockpit claustrophobic, other owners suggested.

Not helping matters was the tiny rear window, seemingly pinched from a tugboat.

"Visibility is 1980s Lamborghini bad," wrote one owner, who apparently knows from experience.

The trunk was tiny and, adding insult to injury, there's no spare tire.

Love the look of the car - not sure I could recommend one for long term commuting use.

And, re the obscure reference - they don't usually get me when I'm preaching either. :whistle:

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Yeah, I get a lot of blank stares in the nave here as I wax theologically as well!

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Mickey Richaud said:
Yeah, I get a lot of blank stares in the nave here as I wax theologically as well!

Of course, you nave gazing Episcopalians you.... :jester:

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
JPSmit said:
Mickey Richaud said:

Of course, you nave gazing Episcopalians you.... :jester:

:angel:

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
As far as that Crossfire, don't they have 19" rear wheels? I'd bet not only is replacement tire choice limited (particularly a good wear indexed all-season), but that tire price has got to be pretty expensive (comparatively).

eddyramrod

The Mercedes engine puts the Crossfire right out of the park for me right away, and yes, all the reviews I've seen point to the tiny cockpit. If the immediate budget will stand it, go for the Mustang. It'll do everything you need it to now, and later you can go to town upgrading and enjoying, without breaking the bank.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I'll throw in my $.02.

If this is truly just a 1 year car, then I'm with Doc that a small Honda, Toyota, Hyundai - type car is a great bet. Comfy, good gas mileage, and plenty re-sellable in a year's time.

I'll give thoughts on two cars not yet mentioned here.

My previous daily was a 2003 Hyundai Accent 2-door hatchback (automatic, no less). Bought it from new and put 84k miles on it before selling it to a co-worker who has since added another 20k -- and it's still going. No problems other than routine maintenance, and it got a consistent 35 mpg. Was quite possibly the most honest car I've ever owned; just a solid, cheap little commuter. I'm in my car a reasonable amount (20k/year) and it never let me down. Quite boring, but it was cheap -- and one of the best snow cars I've ever driven. I used to joke that I doubled its value every time I loaded up for a gig.
grin.gif

My current daily is a 2009 Honda Fit Sport (manual), also bought from new. For my needs, this is *the* best commuter on the market. I need lots of space for my music gear (including a double bass) and the Fit swallows gear like no other small car. I get right around 40 mpg with it as well. It's also surprisingly fun to drive in the twisties. One of my best drives ever (no kidding) was taking the Fit over a very narrow, winding pass road near my house early one morning. This car drives way better than it should, considering it's just a cheap hatchback. I've got 30k miles on it in a year and a half, and no problems at all.

Now, I do admit that the V6 Mustang would be tempting (though I find them a bit claustrophobic), especially since you have the truck for really bad winter weather.

philman

Jedi Knight
I like the Saab 9-5, comfy, quick, and good fuel mileage. I also think a mitsubishi eclipse would be neat to have.

R

RonMacPherson

Honda, Accord or Civic, or if you have gotta have a sports car, get the Honda sports car... Your best buy, in my opinion, but I have some background with Honda/Acura, start working on the line at a multicar dealership in 1972 and went to a Honda/MB dealership, moved on to Acura when they came out. And quit twisting wrenches, professionally, about 11 years ago.. I drive a 92 Honda Accord I bought for 500, put a timing belt and clutch in, it has over 250K and gets better than 27 miles per on the highway...

OP
PATR8

PATR8

Jedi Knight
OK, I guess I will throw another stipulation into this, my son's car is a 1989 Volvo 240, he is going to VMI this year and his junior year he is allowed a car. I would like to retire his Volvo in 24 months (he does not know this and he loves his 240 so sssshhhhhh...) and let him move into the newer car. Image is important even in the military.

The one year thing is actually 15-18 months most likely. That means I will need something to last me the time and he would be willing to give up Gustov for.

Country flag
Is there any chance of some form of mass transit to get you to and from, even part of the way? If so, get something you wouldn't mind leaving in the station parking lot and let someone else do the driving? I am fortunate to be able to ride the train to and from work here. Just something to think about. I have to second the Honda suggestions...and consider something from their Certified Pre-Owned program. Our Pilot has served us exceptionally well and it was a Certfied Pre-Owned. (But there is piece of me that likes the Mustang idea! :D)

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Ron said:
I drive a 92 Honda Accord I bought for 500, put a timing belt and clutch in, it has over 250K and gets better than 27 miles per on the highway...

Yup. That's what I'm talkin' 'bout. They're nearly bulletproof. Even thru '96. Change the belt, keep up with oil 'n filter change. It'll run. Period.