• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Another TR3 prospect - TR3B

GBRandy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
This one is a bit more money than perhaps I want to shell out....but.....it is a TR3B with matching numbers.

Any comments on these images? All input is welcome before I write the check...once that happens I expect nothing but positive responses :laugh: ...so now is the time to nit pick. :hammer:

Should I be worried about this:
TR3B_Interior.jpg

TR3B_Engine.jpg

Some exterior shots
TR3b_LH.jpg

TR3B_RH.jpg

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Nits --

Classic 'door-handle popping up' -- an easy fix but a common TR3 malady.

The gap & panel along the leading edge of the p/s door look pretty good in the 4th photo -- is it just an ill-fitting capping?

Grille is more dished than looks good to me. Looks like an original or at least a good repro (big openings).

In general, I find it hard to examine engine compartments on black cars from just photos as black paint can make everything look better from a distance.

Not sure what that stain is that you circled. Fuel leaks are more commonly right under the carb (leaking jets) inboard from where that stain is.

Wiring harness either non-original or at least worked on to the point of not looking as original. If every wire is black (how it looks to me) you may be happier with a new & correct harness.

Vacuum line routing a bit sloppy and possibly not correct -- harder to tell about the fuel line as it has be shortened or otherwise modified to get that fuel filter on there. Both should go thru a rubber grommet/clip arrangement below the tstat housing.

The heater valve should connect directly to that hard line, not via a short length of hose w/2 clamps.

Choke knob is non-original, probably a non-original generic choke cable was used.

Door panels should have a (male) snap for the strap on the side curtains -- but perhaps there are no side curtains.

Front carb bowl may have a slight leak at either a fuel line or the gasket for the bowl top, I fancy I see a brown stain on the front side of the bowl.

There are lots of very good things about it so those positive responses that you'll want post-purchase will not be hard to come by.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
I'm with Randall. If the car is priced well for a solid, straight, "matching numbers" vehicle, pretty much anything that screws, bolts, snaps, clips or glues in or on can be adjusted and/or repaired/replaced as needed. And you'll get sidescreen fans who will argue all day that the grilles are supposed to be bowed in like that; they're not, but it doesn't look all that bad to me, either!

Russ Austin

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Looks like Trusty's brother!

luke44

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
It all gets down to the numbers. The challenge I found when I headed out on my search for one of these cars is the prices ranged from $3k to $50k. The pix above would indicate the car has some room for improvement so if a bit of fiddling was part of your plan and it runs well and you can enjoy it in the mean time, then it may fit the bill perfectly.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Andrew Mace said:
I'm with Randall...

Geez Louise... did you mistake me for Randall? If so, that must be the first and last time that will ever happen.

Sometimes casual observers see my AZ plates and think I am Dr Andrew Weil (similar beard & 'hair' style). A nice guy but AFAIK dead useless for dealing with TR issues.

GerryL

Jedi Hopeful
Looks good on the surface but what lurks underneath. Can you pull back the carpets and examine floors, footwells, firewall etc. I would also want to examine the frame to see if any damage exist. I would also use a weak magnet to insure that bondo hasn' t been applied to thickly.

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Randy,

The exterior and interior of the car look really nice, but the paint job in the engine compartment looks really dry and along with the stain and the other items that Geo pointed out makes me wonder about the mechanical side of things especially if you are paying a lot for it.

Scott

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Depending on the price and what you are looking for this does not look like it should cost to much. I never trust a car that has the enginge compartment painted black. I know it's a black car, but it looks like they just resprayed it. No detail work at all, except for the wax job on the out side, and a cleaning of the interior. I would have to put the car on a lift to get a better idea of value. I was thinking you were looking for a car that was at least a 4 out of 5 on the condition scale. It does look to be a great 20 footer or maybe a ten footer.

OP
GBRandy

GBRandy

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Thanks all! As usual great observations....this a 1963 TR3B and a very late example. The asking price is over $26,000. It seems every time I look at these things the price goes up. I ma not afraid of the price.....I am afraid of the surprises afterward. For $26k it should be pretty darn near new :smile:

toysrrus

Yoda
Howdy Randy,

I`m just driving thru & I agree with most everyone here.

When someone "Spray Bombs" the Engine Bay & Does`nt take the time for a little bit of "Detail" work; It would bring questions to my mind.

The asking price of $26K should & would buy yourself virtually a "New" TR3B. At the very least; The Engine Bay would be painted the same as the exterior of the car; Nice and Shiny typ. meaning the Engine has been out of the car before painting & probably "Tweeked" up a bit. My estimation is $17K-$20K "Tops"!

Good Luck,

Russ

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Hard to say from just those photos, but the little nits that have been pointed out say to me that this is an indifferent restoration, at best. For example, that looks like black overspray on the wires to me; and what "restorer" wouldn't bend back the tab that causes the passenger handle to point up? Certainly these are common problems, but they shouldn't be, on a $26K car. That $.99 battery clamp attached to a much-too-long cable screams "cheap" to me, as well. If he cut corners there, how many more corners did he cut where it doesn't show?

I'd say fuel is the most likely cause of the circled stain, probably from the float bowl vents. Originally, they were stuck into the side of the air filters, which would cause the fuel to run down through the filter and drip onto that ledge, when the float valve got 'stuck'. The fact they are no longer pointing into the filters likely indicates that someone has had the problem on this car.

The visible problems are certainly minor, and would not impede driving the car. They just make me worry about the problems that can't be seen.

The Real Randall
grin.gif

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Randy -

Texas TR3

Looks promising. New ebayer, but his phone number is posted. Worth a call...

luke44

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Tr3aguy said:
try this one TR3

For $14k difference you can <span style="font-style: italic">really </span> upgrade this TX car - if you compare interiors, the TX car sorely needs that. But its a relatively fun job and fairly inexpensive. If you add a $2k interior to the TX car and then compare the 2 cars, what do you have?

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag