• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Daimler - Am I nuts? [probably]

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Ok, itโ€™s not like I don't have enough to do just getting my EType back on the road. I mean, I need another British car like I need a hole in the head. (ok, another hole in the head). But have you ever come across one of those deals where, despite your best efforts to resist, you can't. You find yourself making up all sorts of rationalizations as to why you just must buy a particular car! Your head says your nuts but your heart says โ€œbuy it!" Well, that is the quandary in which I find myself.

By chance, and through a friend of mine, I stumbled upon a very cool car that I could purchase at what I think is a very fair price (from what I can tell from my research). Iโ€™d rather not divulge the price just yet (donโ€™t want to jinx it).

It is a 1953 Daimler Sports Special. It is like this one (but its not this one). The car is very solid with no rust to speak of. It is 99 percent complete and about 80 percent of the chrome has been re-done. It runs strong and doesn't smoke at all. The interior has been redone in vinyl and would need re-doing eventually, as would the top which is donโ€™t in vinyl as well (should be canvas).

It appears that there were only 500 or so ever made between 1949 and 1953 and there are an estimated 180 known to exist today. So its not only a really cool looking car, itโ€™s also seems to be a bit on the rare side.

Basil

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
Basil, you are nuts... but then so are many of us around here...

That kind of Daimler is a gorgeous car! I've seen a couple of them in real life to know... This is the Daimler era just prior to the Jaguar takeover when most of their cars were coachbuilt.

Anyway, as long as the deal is good why not go for it... just beware that your parts sourcing and servicing will probably be difficult and tricky, but then isn't a pretty face worth it... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

piman

Darth Vader
Hello Basil,
that is going back to a different era!
Daimler (rather than Rolls Royce) used to be the manufacturer of choice of the British Royal family and it was a quality car manufacturer.

Alec

rulle7

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Basil, if you DON'T buy this fantastic motor car, well then, and only then are you truly bonkers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif

Simon TR4a

Jedi Knight
Basil that is an ELEGANT motor!
I suggest you and Mrs. Fawlty get all dressed up (top hat and tails for you, evening gown for her) and go out for a really nice dinner. Let the valet park the car.
Simon (impressed.)

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
I will add my weight (not inconsiderable......just ask my bathroom scale) to the "you are nuts if you DON'T buy it" argument. These were wonderful, quality-built cars, with character to spare. If the price seems so right that you don't want to jinx it by mentioning it, then how could you not go for it? Good luck, and pictures will be required should you be the proud owner. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

78Z

Darth Vader
Country flag
That is a great looking car. If its complete and pretty much ready for the road (and by your description it would seem to be) go for it! You could always drive for a few years until the Jaguar is ready then sell for same money or profit given that your purchase price was so good.

Roger

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Sure you're nuts!
Sorry, a voice of dissent. The post-WWii pre-Jaguar Daimler / Lanchester cars (with the exception of the Turner cars) are overweight, underpowered, soggy and ill-handling. The Royal Family connection was very old, and I doubt they bothered to be discerning until later.
That anyone took the trouble to make such cars well is surprising, but they did and that gave them just about their only virtue.
Buy it if you like the look of it, want to own it and it's in good shape. But don't buy it for driving pleasure....

racing girl

Jedi Knight
"Daimler - Am I nuts?"

You have to know you're asking the wrong crowd here, of course we're going to tell you to go and buy it!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

RG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
Roger...

You're absolutely right! That car is no sports car and is certainly overweight for the engine... So it's no "sports car" agreed... A very classy old car it is though and an opportunity that will rarely be available.

Having said that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif To each their own /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

90 XJ-S

Jedi Trainee
Basil,

I am going to have to disagree with everybody here. You absolutely, positively should not buy this car. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/nonono.gif

Let me know who and where it is being offered and I will take care of your temptation. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif

reasonable price you say!?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Mike

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
All - thanks for the encouragement (I think). This is a very tempting deal and even my wife is not against it because of it's unique look and rarity.

Roger - No worries. I have no illusions that this car is some kind of sports car that I could whip around mountain roads. If I buy it it will be mainly because it is a very rare car (about 180 of 500 ever made are known to exist). Also, it is a beautiful piece of art in my opinion. Those suicide doors and the sweeping lines are just stunning.

78Z - Yea, I saw that one on Ebay. The price for the one I'm looking at is <u>much</u> less.

90-XJ-S - Haha Fat chance!

By the way, if I do end up with this car, I already know the color scheme I'd paint it:

show_090.jpg

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
[ QUOTE ]
Ooooooooooooohhhhhh yes!! Nice combination there. What is the colour scheme at the moment? Does it need paint?

[/ QUOTE ]

It is currently BRG on top and light bronze on the bottom. Its about a 10 year old paint scheme and not a very goo job.

rulle7

Jedi Knight
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
I have no illusions that this car is some kind of sports car that I could whip around mountain roads.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see Basil touring the country in a stately manner befitting the 'haves' with a white-gloved Mrs. Fawlty gently waving to the 'have-nots'. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/devilgrin.gif.