• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

My future 1976?

Darcy

I just thought I'd create a new thread, and see if I get some more interest /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/angel.gif

Passenger's side
Driver's side
Fender damage
Front seats
Back seat
Dash
Door
Sunroof
Rear
Trunk lid damage

That's her...

The trunk lid needs to be replaced, the floors need to be replaced, and I need to find a cylinder head since there's not one on the car /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

The owner wants $400(CND)

I don't know much about Minis... So is the price good? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/canpatriot.GIF

I'm going to check it out in the next few days, and I'm wondering if there's any secret "Mini Rust" spots to look out for? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Darcy

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
This looks like a decent car for the price....if the sills aren't badly rusted.
Look under the doors and poke as hard as you can (with an awl, if no one is looking).
The cylinder head isn't too difficult to find, but you'd want to look at the cylinder bores to be sure that they aren't rusted or damaged.

Xracer

Jedi Trainee
That car is gonna need a total restoration. A complete engine rebuild, a new interior, probably a new rear subframe & suspension, and lotsa body work and panel replacement. This car is going to need almost everything repaired or replaced.

It's going to be expen$ive and take a looooooong time. This is your basic long term project car.

If you really think that you're up to it, offer the guy $300 CDN ($1.98 US /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

Sorry to rain on your parade, but been there, done that.

ThomP

Jedi Warrior
The body color looks like Pagent Blue to me. That would make it a 79, 80 or 81.

Do you want a project or do you wnat one to drive? This one is definately a project.

OP
D

Darcy

[ QUOTE ]
That car is gonna need a total restoration.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can't be serious? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cryin.gif

I've seen cars that need total restos... And this car looks nothing like them.

The engine will have to be rebuilt, but I'd do that this Winter. The panels look fine, except for that fender... I can still get it on the road with a fender looking like that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Suspension will need some work. But I can do that this Winter also. And it's going to need a carpet set.

I'd buy this Mini to put on the road next Spring.

[ QUOTE ]
Do you want a project or do you wnat one to drive? This one is definately a project.

[/ QUOTE ]

I want a project for the Winter, and one to drive by Spring /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

-Darcy

Bugeye58

Yoda
Darcy, if that car were available to me, I'd have it sitting in my garage right now. At that price, buy it. If you decide later that it's more work than you want to undertake, you have an excellent parts car for a future project.
The engine rebuild is nothing, and cylinder heads are a dime a dozen. What engine is in it now?
Floor pans are no great hassle to replace, and panel replacement is a piece of cake.
I don't know about the suspension, but I still wouldn't hesitate to own it.
Jeff

OP
D

Darcy

Here's a engine shot he sent me a few minutes ago

[ QUOTE ]
What engine is in it now?

[/ QUOTE ]

I haven't asked him yet... And I don't think he's 100% sure what it could be /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Bugeye58

Yoda
Hmmm. hard to tell definitively, but it looks like a 1275. Definitely not a small bore block. Have him give you the numbers from the engine tag, located on the right front corner of the block, and you'll know for sure.
Jeff

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
It's very common here in Canada for owners of the 1970's Minis to drop in the 1275 engine in place of the original 998, so it wouldn't surprise me.

Bugeye58

Yoda
James, I based my comment on the shape of the head gasket around the bores. It's definitely not a 998. Could it be a (gulp) 997 or a 1071?
Jeff

ThomP

Jedi Warrior
Here's a fellow Canadian that went through a similar looking car.. Adam's restoration

It's up to you whether you want to put this much effort into your car.