• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Well ain't this just peaches and cream.

jdubois

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Figured out why the starter in my TR3A wouldn't turn over... the engine is seized. Popped the valve cover, and there are nice big green puddles of anti-freeze in there. So who knows what kind of damage has been done. I've already got a car undergoing an engine rebuild. I don't want another one right now :madder:

KVH

Darth Vader
Country flag
Have you tried to pull the engine over by hand, using the steel fan?

You're positive it's siezed?

That sure doesn't sound good, but I thought that a cracked head would manifest itself prior to having an engine sieze up.

OP
jdubois

jdubois

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Yeah, I pulled the spark plugs, removed the fan belt, and then tried to turn the car over with the hand crank, and by putting it in gear and rocking it back and forth. Won't budge.

I'm going to drop the pan tonight and see if I can see anything from below, then pull the head and see what's up. The anti-freeze/head gasket may be coincidental to the seized cylinder.

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Just curious when was the car last running?

Scott

OP
jdubois

jdubois

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Last fall. I put it away for the winter in October. I tried to start it up in Feb and the starter was too weak to spin the engine fast enough (it's been weak for a couple years now). So I replaced the starter, and it cranked nicely for about five seconds and then locked up.

The engine only has about 2K on it, but has been mostly sitting for about 12 years.

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Just a WAG, no chance that the starter could be locked up on the flywheel?

Cheers,
M. Pied Lourd

Country flag
Hopefully a stuck valve? Had one that way on a TR4, it locked up the rocker assembly, I found out the hard way it. A rocker arm snapped when I put a little too much pressure on the cheater bar I way using. Ended up removing head and engine would turn. Engine will be rebuilt later.

Marv

OP
jdubois

jdubois

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
M_Pied_Lourd said:

Yeah, that was my first thought and hope. But not the case, unfortunately.

danstr6

Try taking the plugs out and fill each cylinder with transmission fluid. Let it sit for a couple of weeks and then try it again. I have a friend that did this in the almost same situation and it worked.

OP
jdubois

jdubois

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
danstr6 said:
Try taking the plugs out and fill each cylinder with transmission fluid. Let it sit for a couple of weeks and then try it again. I have a friend that did this in the almost same situation and it worked.

I'm way too impatient to do that!!!! :laugh:

I'm also concerned about finding the cause of the antifreeze on top of the head, even if it's not directly related to the engine seizing.

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
jdubois said:
I'm way too impatient to do that!!!! :laugh:

MMO works pretty quickly - give it a day or so

jdubois said:
I'm also concerned about finding the cause of the antifreeze on top of the head, even if it's not directly related to the engine seizing.

Agreed. So everything was OK when you last drove her???

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
It could be hydrostatically locked up. How much fluid is in each cylinder as well as the crankcase? Draining everything and putting in fresh oil may allow it to turn over.

OP
jdubois

jdubois

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
tdskip said:
So everything was OK when you last drove her???

Yup. I'd been fighting a fuel delivery problem last spring, which turned out to be a bad valve seat thread on the front float cover. Once I got that straightened out she ran great all summer (minus the on-going choke geometry and weak starter issues). In October, I changed the oil, filled the tank, and put her away, figuring there'd be no issue in the spring.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
jdubois said:
M_Pied_Lourd said:
Yeah, that was my first thought and hope. But not the case, unfortunately.

I like that suggestion enough to ask... how do you know that is not the case?

Technique for freeing a stuck starter is gearbox in 4th and rock the car backwards. Can take quite a bit of hard rocking sometimes.

OP
jdubois

jdubois

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Geo Hahn said:
I like that suggestion enough to ask... how do you know that is not the case?

Because when I thought that's what it was, I physically removed the starter.

bgbassplyr

Darth Vader
First:
If the plugs are out, engine can't be hydrostatically locked, but if a valve broke a stem and fell into a cylinder...I'm just saying... shine a light into the cylinders (bore light if you have one), or pull the valve cover and make sure all valves are intact. Both jobs way eaiser than pulling the head.
Second:
Anything that rotates with the crankshaft could break and lock the engine, ranging from distributor, oil pump, or cam chain.
I suguest that you (1) pull the dizzy and be sure the shaft turns. (2) Turn the oil pump, although if it is the culprit, removing the dizzy and drive gear from the cam shaft takes it out of the loop and if the engine will now turn over, the problem is a locked up oil pump. (3) Feel around the bottom of the cam chain cover for any dimple(s) that might indicate a broken chain jambed between the crank sprocket and the cover. A loose nut or bolt from the cam sprocket or chain tensioner could also be jammed in there too. Turning the engine backwards might free up the jamb enough to indicate that the problem lies in this area.
If you have no joy after these checks, pull the pan and look for a broken crankshaft or connecting rod.
Hope you find the problem quickly. Good Luck!

OP
jdubois

jdubois

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
bgbassplyr said:
First:
If the plugs are out, engine can't be hydrostatically locked, but if a valve broke a stem and fell into a cylinder...I'm just saying... shine a light into the cylinders (bore light if you have one), or pull the valve cover and make sure all valves are intact. Both jobs way eaiser than pulling the head.

Valve cover already pulled. There are puddles of anti-freeze on top of the head, but the valve train looks nominally intact.

bgbassplyr said:
(1) pull the dizzy and be sure the shaft turns. (2) Turn the oil pump, although if it is the culprit, removing the dizzy and drive gear from the cam shaft takes it out of the loop and if the engine will now turn over, the problem is a locked up oil pump. (3) Feel around the bottom of the cam chain cover for any dimple(s) that might indicate a broken chain jambed between the crank sprocket and the cover. A loose nut or bolt from the cam sprocket or chain tensioner could also be jammed in there too. Turning the engine backwards might free up the jamb enough to indicate that the problem lies in this area.
If you have no joy after these checks, pull the pan and look for a broken crankshaft or connecting rod.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll run down your list.