• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

steering wheel nut size.

markinmtns

Freshman Member
What size is the nut that fastens the steering wheel down on a 78' spitfire? and are there other british cars that may share the same size? I've got this great project that came with a new aftermarket wheel but no nut to secure it to the column. I tried looking around the internet and came up with a measurement of 9/16 x 1 1/16 UNF but it was way off. Near as I can tell my calipers read .800 across the threads on the column.

Tinkerman

Darth Vader
Mark I miked mine and came up with .870 which is a little larger than yours but I have a TR3A which may explain the difference. I suggest two sources for you to call: one is The Roadster Factory, 800.234.1104 I bought my steering wheel nut from them recently and It was five or 6 dollars. Another source would be Mark at British Auto, 315.986.3097 he carries new and used parts and really knows his stuff.

Good luck, let us know how you make out.

Cheers, Tinkerman

OP
M

markinmtns

Freshman Member
Thanks Tinkerman. I'll give 'em a call this afternoon. I'm just getting into LBC's so I'll have lots of questions. By the way those early TR3's have been my favorite sportscar since going for a ride in one at a young age(9) when they were still seen around. It was a white one with red interior and the young man happily gave all us kids rides around the church while at a wedding (I got to go twice!.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
OP
M

markinmtns

Freshman Member
Thanks for your help guys, wow so much knowlege! My car is #FM766**** so I'll order P/N 138466 other wise I'll just grab a hex nut off a TR7 (kidding). Sure would be nice to find the UNF size. then I could get it at a well stocked hardware supply.

K

KSIS

I know the nut sized is the same for the early spits and spits with the locking column. I cannabalized the steering column from a 76/77 spit to use in my 63. The only difference was the welded on collar for the lock. The nuts are the same size.
This doesnt sound right, but I have a spare nut.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
markinmtns said:
Thanks for your help guys, wow so much knowlege! My car is #FM766**** so I'll order P/N 138466 other wise I'll just grab a hex nut off a TR7 (kidding). Sure would be nice to find the UNF size. then I could get it at a well stocked hardware supply.
I don't know about that nut in particular; but many of them are not UNF. The TR and Stag nuts are both UNS sizes, which my local hardware-only supply didn't stock.

Generally, any Triumph fastener that isn't "special" in some way will have letters in the part number. For example, a 3/4" UNF nut is HN2014.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Steering wheel nut size? About 5'9", 160# in all the cars I drive. :wink: