• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Half way?

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Since I picked up my (58 TR3) flood victim 8-2006, I've spent a lot of time in the garage. Some of it was spent cleaning up parts, painting and reassembling subassemblies, but most of it has been taking the car apart. Today, I consider myself at the half way point, because I no longer have anything to take apart. Now all I have to do, is put it back together. I have parts everywhere, and got them from all over the country thanks to ebay and this forum. I can't turn back now.

Attachments

• 20646.jpg
    20646.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 1,511

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Tex,

Always nice to get to that point. The only way to go is forward!

Cheers,
M. Pied Lourd

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
From this point on the job gets cleaner too :banana:

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Geo Hahn said:
I think that's called 'Ratchet Reset Day'.

I like it! Just wish there was 'Close Wallet Day'.

Nice job there Tex - I think you are quite a ways ahead of me but it is very good motivation!

toysrrus

Yoda
Howdy Tex,

I started my `57TR3 early Jan. this yr. Thanx to a friend of mine who has a "Lift, Ton of Tools, Torches, Saws" etc. We got the "Dismantle" the body parts off quite quickly.

What I did then; Got everything blasted including the chassis. The 1st. "Re-Build" part I did (So it looked liked something was being re-built). Then applied "POR-15" to the Chassis via brush. It came out "Great" and the "Motivation" took a second leap.

By the way; If your reading this "Fred"; Thanx, I could`nt have done it in the time span we did without your Help!!

Keep on Restoring,

Russ

V

vagt6

Tex, I like your attitude.

Keep at it. I promise you, the finished result will be a source of great pride for the rest of your days.

There's no car like a TR-3, it bridges the gap in automotive history from the 1940s to the 1960s. Beautiful car, plenty of power, loads of fun to drive and a guaranteed head-turner everywhere you go.

Keep working at it, and please post photos of your restoration. This kind of documentation on a frame-off resto is very valuable.

Cheers to you, Tex! :yesnod:

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
That is a milestone isn't it. Now it all gets to be cleaned up, refreshed and put back together.

Any surprises so far?

Keep us posted!

OP
T

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Right. I'm going forward, and reset my ratchet -my only competition with TR4nut involves closing the wallet. (Which probably will involve someone living longer!) I'm going to have the frame sand blasted tomorrow, my project is a little unusual and the PO applied POR15 without so much as cleaning off the loose dirt. So my first challenge was to get down to bare rust. A razor blade works great for that.

Surprises? POR15 is hard. If you get some on a rear lug and install the wheel while it's still wet, 2 out of 2 lugs will pull the threads out of the hub, before the lug nut comes off the lug.

After dripping for two years in my garage, the diff still had fluid in it. You can clearly see some oil on top of the water in the picture.

After a car has been under 20' of water for a day, the surprises never stop.

The passenger side leaf had an extra plate on top of it. Is that right?

Attachments

• 20654.jpg
    20654.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 1,277
  • 20655.jpg
    20655.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 1,255
  • 20656.jpg
    20656.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 1,285

pjsmetana

Jedi Warrior
TR4nut said:
...wish there was 'Close Wallet Day'.

Don't we all :smile:

TexasKnucklehead said:
The passenger side leaf had an extra plate on top of it. Is that right?

Yes sir.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
karls59tr said:
Why does the passenger side leaf spring have an extra plate?

I think the story is that the plate lowers the passenger side so that the car is more level when you have a single driver in the car.

Twosheds

Darth Vader
TR4nut said:
I think the story is that the plate lowers the passenger side so that the car is more level when you have a single driver in the car.

That is correct. Married drivers are lighter and the plate is not necessary.

pjsmetana

Jedi Warrior
Twosheds said:
TR4nut said:

That is correct. Married drivers are lighter and the plate is not necessary.

HAHAHAH!!!! I just shared this one with my wife!

OP
T

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I could not justify the aditional cost of powder coating, but did have the frame sand blasted for $175. Then I put a coat of oil based primer followed by two coats of flat black while I decided what to do about the holes blown through the frame near one of the rebound brackets during sand blasting. I suppose rust can hide from a screwdriver, but not a blaster. Anyway I got some 1/8 inch thick metal and made two pieces with holes drilled to sandwich the area, and had them welded in place today. It's as sold as ever now, and I'm close to starting putting it back together.

Is getting closer to 1/2 way sort of like closing the door 1/2 way each time, and knowing you'll never really get it closed?

Attachments

• 20755.jpg
    20755.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 1,084
  • 20756.jpg
    20756.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 1,071
  • 20757.jpg
    20757.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 1,058
OP
T

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Spring is here. I live in Spring Tx, but that's not my update. I'd say spring has sprung, but that might imply a faulty spring compresser. Today I installed the front springs, wheel bearings, hubs and front wheels. I will not say I have a 'rolling chasis' because a set of used bed rollers doesn't really count as a rear axle -but I've made progress and am excited about it.

Attachments

• 21067.jpg
    21067.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 1,053

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Looking good again Tex. I've started on the back end, just because there are less parts!

OP
T

TexasKnucklehead

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Another update. I'm not sure when a pile of parts becomes a 'rolling chasis', but I rolled my frame out into the driveway today and snapped this picture. I think rebuilding the front end was much easier than the limited work I did on the differential. -But I've got all new seals and axle bearings back there, as well as slaves and brake springs. And the diff is all nice and clean inside (and out), and not leaking any oil (and I filled it with oil).

Now for the engine, brake lines, front calipers...

Attachments

• 21441.jpg
    21441.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 941