• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Pit Bikes, etc

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Pit bikes (and "pit cars") have always been a presence at the races. Personally, I don't even have a bicycle to get around in, and I don't want one, either.
But there have been more and more interesting ones lately. The little "pocket bikes" are actually getting to be a minor problem at some events. I happen to really like the little Pukka Pitbike (last picture....$300 and built in Utah)
I imagine that there's all kinds of other pit vehicles (or potential ones) out there (all pix taken in Lime Rock Paddock)...

pit_cart.jpg

petunia_the_ugly_pitcar.jpg

pukka_pit_bike.jpg

William

Darth Vader
From a spectator's standpoint, I find most pit bikes a nuisance. Mostly because the people riding them act like it's a five alarm emergency to get to the brat stand. If you're going to get the Big Gear Special (which is a double cheeseburger, one quarter pound beef patty and one quarter pound brat patty), you're better off walking anyway. Cars (both racing and road) and four wheelers (usually loaded with people or hauling something to the welder's shed) I don't mind, but some bored kid whizzing around a crowded paddock cause he's bored gets annoying really quick.

Bear in mind, these views have been honed while cruising the paddock area at Road America. Results may vary at Lime Rock, VIR, Mont Tremblant, Mosport, Laguna Seca, the Glen, or Road Atlanta!

-Walkin' William

MattP

Jedi Knight
Not been to many events, but those little pocket bikes have been wizzing all over town here, and I know I am getting sick of them. The little things don't even make pretence at being street legal, but I see them regularly on even the busiest streets. Someone is going to get splattered before it is done.

Bugeye58

Yoda
Nial, I've got an old Rupp Enduro,with a 4.5hp Tecumseh on it, primarily for climing the hill at Elkhart Lake. If you are pitted on the hill at Mid-Ohio, they are nice, but at most tracks not really necessary. We don't allow them at Waterford at all. And being the Chief Tech Inspector, I wish I could use mine sometimes! I'm all over the place over the course of the weekend.
I was on track this past weekend, in my old Spitfire, and wasn't going fast enough to hurt anyone. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Jeff

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
aeronca65t Pit Bikes British Motorbikes 3
waltesefalcon Cadillac money pit Other Cars 2
drambuie Pit crews of the 1938 Grand Prix's [Next time i will jump out and refuel myself] Austin Healey 1
Bob Claffie Money pit Triumph 10
D anybody got a pit dug in the garage? Restoration & Tools 24
dougie Healey 100-S Pit-Crew Austin Healey 3
aeronca65t New Pit Bike Racing 8
aeronca65t Moke "Pit-Buggy" British Motor Corp 4
K Fuel pump points Why did they pit Austin Healey 18
john_j Inspection pit Austin Healey 13
HealeyRick Who Knew Martin Jansen Does Bikes? Austin Healey 0
Steve A couple of bikes that my dad designed British Motorbikes 8
bugedd Bikes Spridgets 13
glemon Good place to shop for old bikes British Motorbikes 5
HealeyRick Beer, Bikes and Healeys Austin Healey 7
3798j Chicks on British Bikes British Motorbikes 102
aeronca65t Brit bikes-NH British Motorbikes 1
Don_Racine Deves Piston ring promotion for British Bikes British Motorbikes 0
Basil Mother of all British Bikes! British Motorbikes 3
Simon TR4a Matchless continuation bikes. British Motorbikes 2
swift6 Brit Bikes at the Colorado Conclave... British Motorbikes 3
S For Sale Early Sprite & Midget Speedometer/Tachometer/Generator etc. Spridgets Classified 2
J TR2/3/3A Taking engine out, etc. Triumph 16
R Radiators , fans etc Spridgets 6
AngliaGT Bugeye,Jag eType,Citation,Fiesta,etc. Spotted 1
B For Sale 1956 Austin Healey 100-4 SCCA big bore race car plus parts lot engine trans etc Austin Healey Classifieds 0
T Adjusting windows/tops etc. for comfortable highway travel Austin Healey 10
Healey Nut Door handles etc Austin Healey 6
S TR4/4A procedure for installing gauges etc Triumph 0
D TR4/4A trying to identify bolts etc Triumph 5
M TR2/3/3A What oils, lubes etc should I have at my house at all times? Triumph 39
T Perished Rubber/etc on BE rear shock absrober link Spridgets 0
M General Tech Creative ideas, shop equipment, fabbing techniqes, etc Triumph 0
2billydavies TR2/3/3A question about 1958 TR3a engine number, body number, etc Triumph 7
AngliaGT Easiest Way to Remove/Replace Rear Axle Seals/Etc.? Spridgets 9
G TR4/4A Yet another engine build thread. Parts list: Suggestions/Recommendations/Etc Triumph 11
Kleykamp General TR How do you refer to your car...restored, survivor etc.? Triumph 20
aeronca65t Cheetah, MGB-GT etc. Spotted 23
aeronca65t Worn clutch bits, etc Spridgets 11
aeronca65t Glider in store-Ford GT, etc Spotted 1
aeronca65t Lots of Shelbys, etc [Canada] Other Cars 2
aeronca65t Spotted [In Denver, etc] Spotted 0
aeronca65t Messerschmitt, Lambo, McLaren, etc. Spotted 2
T TR2/3/3A Steering Column Felt Bush, Additional Bush, Rubber Washers, etc. Triumph 8
coj Healey numbering system, engine, transmission, body etc. Austin Healey 3
aeronca65t Renault......Trade for goat, etc. Other Cars 12
aeronca65t DB-4, etc. Spotted 2
NutmegCT Laugh of the day [week, month, etc.] Other Cars 4
wangdango inner body panel painting/welding/etc Austin Healey 3
bighealeysource Anyone remove their handbrake assembly on BN2,etc Austin Healey 9