• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

'67 BJ8 Barn Find - need opinions

Sheridan

Freshman Member
Back in the 80' a good friend of mine had parents that owned a Blue Autsin Healey. Over the years I have wondered what ever happened to it. I just found out. His mother is now ready to sell the car and I have an opportunity to purchase it. I went and looked at it today. It's been in a barn/shed since the late 80's and is pretty rough. The shed has a dirt floor and the blocks that it was originally set on have sunk into the ground and the wheels are all but touching the ground again and it is sitting a bit crooked. The doors do not open and close easily. I assume that much of this is that it is sitting in such an odd way for so many years. Needless to say the car has become a home for the wildlife in the area. The car has rusted in pretty much everywhere you would expect (bottoms of fenders, doors and the frame outriggers) but the frame is very much solid.

I have posted a bunch of photos and need some opinions as to what I should offer for it. The current owner has no idea what it is worth. I have a ballpark idea but have not seen one in similar condition so i am just guessing. I want to be fair about what I offer without paying too much (eslecially since it is going to need everything).

I believe this is a MK3 BJ8 Phase II. The Chassis # is HBJ8L/32477 and the engine number best I can make of the tag is ICH 32454. I don't know what the H or the L stands for in the Chassis #. She did indicate that the engine has been replaced so I have no idea if this is the original.

I have placed a bunch of photos here for review:
67%20Austin%20Healey.JPG

Here's a link to a bunch of other photos. Please post or e-mail me what you think. I would like to make an offer on it later this week. '67 Austin Healey Barn find photos - click here

You opinions are welcome!!!

Thanks!

Tim
www.46chevytruck.com

richch

Jedi Trainee
Well, it looks like the complete engine assembly is from a mid '57 100/Six series BN4. So you'll likely want to find a BJ8 engine to take you from 103 BHP to 148. So, yes indeed, they changed out the engine.

Country flag
Wow, that must be the first MKIII I've ever seen that took a step backwards with performance; that's definitely a 100/6 2-port cylinder head, if not the whole engine!

MKIII engine = 150 bhp
BN4 Longbridge = 102 bhp

That'll help get the price back down :wink:

OP
S

Sheridan

Freshman Member
Thanks for the info on the engine. Can I assume you know that from the photo of the tag on the engine or do yu just know it by looking at it. It's a little dissapointing that it is not the original engine as the plan is to restore it to original.

Country flag
The integral intake manifold is a dead giveaway.

Showing a picture of my engine won't do any good, as mine's not stock, but someone will post up a MKIII engine for you to compare.

Don't worry, there are plenty more engines left than there are cars, you'll find one (I have 3 engines and only 1 car).

B

BUNDYRUM

Hello Sheridan.

Welcome to the forum if it hasn't already been said.

Yes that is a 100/6 cylinder head on that engine there together with the carbs so I'm guessing it's the engine as well. It's a step backwards unfortunately even though it's still a Healey engine.

Whatever you thought it was worth means it's not so. Think a little lower but explain to the owner why.

It still looks a good deal as the car looks largely intact and that's the main thing to look for.

Yes it will need to be taken all apart but that's a good thing too as it's the only way to do a good job.

Can't see any reason not to buy it.

Best of luck and best regards,

bundyrum.

Cutlass

Jedi Warrior
My 66 BJ8 was at least driving, with the correct engine, when I bought it seven years ago for $9000.00. Complete restoration costs, over six years, with almost all labor except paint provided by me, exceed $25,000.00, not including paint and body work. (Don't ask.) Your results may vary.

That car will have to be taken apart completely, and I do mean completely. You will probably find major frame issues. All hydraulics need replacing. All interior needs replacing, etc., etc., etc. If you're up to it with skills, tools, a place to work, time, money and an understanding spouse, then go for it.

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Hey Sheridan,
Welcome to the forum - this is a great place to get advice, help, etc with
a great bunch of guys out there.

About the car, that is one huge project you have there ! As Cutlass said,
you'll pour money into it with no end in sight but if you can do most of the
work yourself then it is very rewarding to bring it back from the dead.
I would personally run away from it since it needs everything and that's what
you can see right now ! I recently sold a 100-6 that the previous owner had
spent over $28,000 to restore and it was a relatively nice car when he started and those were 1996 dollars !!!But if you do forge ahead, make sure to join the
Healey Clubs and get the book from Roger Moment and Gary Anderson which details
all the big Healeys. The Austin Healey Club USA ( www.healey.org) has had
a terrific ongoing series on doing a complete restoration of a big Healey in
it and would imagine you can get all the back issues if it is not on the
website once you join.

Good luck,
Mike

OP
S

Sheridan

Freshman Member
Thanks for the comments and thoughts on the Healey. I just finished up a restoration of a '46 Chevy truck that I put very similar money into that has been referenced above so I am very well aware how quickly it can add up. I spent around 20K on the body work and paint alone and did all the other work myself over about 8 years. You can read the details here: www.46chevytruck.com

What I am struggling with is what to offer for the car if I move forward with it. Considering that it will need everything and that the engine is not the original engine, I am thinking about offering between $3,000 and $5,000.

What I need to be sure of is if I buy it, get it out of the barn and then realize that it is an absolute mess that I can come close to recouping my $ if I choose to not proceed.

Am I in the ballpark, too low or too high?

Country flag
I think that's the right ballpark; I'd offer $3k and see what happens.

In the event it's not worth (it to you) to restore, I'm positive you could get back your money and then some by parting it out on Ebay. Just look at what some of the parts go for.

Or offer it for sale as is, someone will buy it...

bighealeysource

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
I agree with Randy, offer the $3000 and go from there. Explain to her that
it will probably cost you over $30K to get it back to a nice driver.
Good luck,
Mike

Cutlass

Jedi Warrior
Wow. I took a closer look a those pictures. There is not much there that doesn't need major work. If you are not profecient at body work, especially putting in patch panels, that might not be the right car. If you are set on a Healey, then you might want to look for a driver that hasn't had a restoration. At the minimum, you will need to replace the sills, rockers, outriggers and floor panels. The fenders need patch panels. This would be a good candidate for a Jule frame. Boy, knowing what I know now, I wouldn't start that one.

RestoreThemAll

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I'm not a mechanic just another back yard DIY guy. I have a BJ7, with all matching numbers,that we sent to Martin Jensen (Jule Frame). I paid Martin to fix ALL of the metal, as that is above my skill level. When finished I'll have about $45K invested, and probably thousands of hours of my time. I've had the car since 1973, and my family is attached to it. That emotional attachment along with a love for the time spend on the car are the only reasons that I can think of to take on a several year project like that. It's a very bad financial investment. Just my opinion.

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
:rolleyes: IMHO I'd walk away from this car. There's just too many failed restorations of much better cars to restore. If you really, really, want to spend all your time and money on this one you need to be perfectly honest with the seller and offer about $1500 period.

why

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Are you doing this to end-up making money after it is restored or are you doing this because you really want a Healey, and having lavished all that time, money, and frustration on it you will feel a great sense of accomplishment when you drive it?
If the answer is making money then ask them how much they will pay you to clear it out of their garage. If doing it for personal satisfaction then expect $30,000 not including your labor to be your cost to get it on the road with pride and then offer however much more you feel you can spend for the thrill of victory.

OP
S

Sheridan

Freshman Member
I have no emotional attachment to this car and the more I read the less I have. I do really love these little cars and would love to bring one back to life. I am also prepared to spend $30K to do it if needed. All that being said, if I am going to spend the $ I would rather find a driver to restore to concours quality then to start with something poor and get a driver at best.

I have a local Healey restorer taking a closer look at the photos for me and depending on what he says, I may ask if I can trailer it to him for a real look and opinion.

Thanks for all the thoughts and opinions. It says a lot. I guess I am a bit shocked that there were not more optimistic posts. I like the reality check though.

Country flag
If your local Healey restorer is Tom Kovaks (Fourintune) he will give you all the reality you need to make an informed decision.

I also agree with your logic of getting a decent driver and restoring that to a higher level.

Cutlass

Jedi Warrior
You can easily also spend 30k on a driver. You're headed in the right direction. If this were the last unrestored Healey, or one with special provenance, then it would make sense. But with many still out there to restore, start with a better one.

HEALEYJAG

Jedi Warrior
Always buy the BEST example of what you can afford........

If I wanted the car I would bring 2 grand in my pocket and ask HER to give YOU a price....you might be surprised on the response...

If too high pull out the cash and counter....MONEY TALKS!!!

Pete