• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

I-40 in NC Question?

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Is I-40 open yet in NC? I normally take I-40 when heading to Oklahoma, but if it's still closed I'll take I-20 to Birmingham and up 78. Anyone know the situation? PJ

hilsideser

Jedi Warrior
https://www.am1400thepeak.com/cc-common/n...article=6555927

Paul I livein 20 miles of this and have to get from here to Detroit in the next week or two myself.

It's hosed and not finished yet. Seems that a several weeks back we had a slide that dropped amoung other debris a boulder the size of a building. They have some work to do and I'm not sure what they currently project for a finnish date.

You can, as I plan to do, drive from Maggie Valley, thru Cherokee, Gatlinburg and Sevierville to I-40.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Coming out of Columbia, SC, it's better for me to take 20 to Birmingham and up 78 to Memphis and pick up 40 from there. Thanks Patrick, much appreciated. PJ

bgbassplyr

Darth Vader
PAUL161 said:
Coming out of Columbia, SC, it's better for me to take 20 to Birmingham and up 78 to Memphis and pick up 40 from there. Thanks Patrick, much appreciated. PJ

Give my sister a wave as you pass through Carroll Cty., GA., Just before you hit the AL. line.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
hilsideser said:
https://www.am1400thepeak.com/cc-common/n...article=6555927

Paul I livein 20 miles of this and have to get from here to Detroit in the next week or two myself.

It's hosed and not finished yet. Seems that a several weeks back we had a slide that dropped amoung other debris a boulder the size of a building. They have some work to do and I'm not sure what they currently project for a finnish date.

You can, as I plan to do, drive from Maggie Valley, thru Cherokee, Gatlinburg and Sevierville to I-40.

That ride you suggested is a beautiful drive in the summer. We've done it before, stopping in Cherokee for brunch and on through the park to Gatlinburg for the day. Reverse the trip the following day. One time we were going through the park, with the top down naturally and it looked like rain. I said, don't worry about it, it's not going to rain! About 2 seconds later, I found out just how long it takes to get the top up on a "B" when it's pouring! Setting in the car after the episode, looking like a pair of drowned rats, all we could do was laugh. But, from then on, I'm not allowed to give any weather predictions any more.
I'm on the poo list in that department.
thjester.gif

I'm travelling to Asheville for the MGC meet in June. Hope this is repaired/done by then.

hilsideser

Jedi Warrior
I should think that they will, Rick. I'll look in to it tonite and see if they have a "new" finish by date.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
rick_ingram said:
I'm travelling to Asheville for the MGC meet in June. Hope this is repaired/done by then.

Where in Ashville is the meet Rick?

PAUL161 said:
rick_ingram said:

Where in Ashville is the meet Rick?

Base hotel is the Holiday Inn Biltmore West in Asheville.

We have a tour of the Biltmore on Friday. The car display is at the Estate on Saturday morning.

Tours, etc throughout the four-day event.

hilsideser

Jedi Warrior
I just talked w/the folks at NC HP and they said possibly end of April for completion, barring further slides.
On the bright side though, they have repaved the tunnels while this has been closed down.

Hedgehog

Jedi Hopeful
Thanks for posting this. We're going to be in Asheville April 4th and 5th checking out the Biltmore, leaving on the 6th headed to WI. I guess that's why Google Maps doesn't take us I40?

We did the Maggie Valley, Cherokee, Gatlinburg way last May on the way back from Hilton Head SC. Cherokee was hosting Thunder in the Smokies and there was only about 7000 motorcycles in that little burg. Took 45 minutes to get through it.

We keep contemplating relocating to the Asheville area.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Hedgehog said:
Thanks for posting this. We're going to be in Asheville April 4th and 5th checking out the Biltmore,

To the Biltmore? I'm impressed.

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
JPSmit said:
Hedgehog said:
Thanks for posting this. We're going to be in Asheville April 4th and 5th checking out the Biltmore,

To the Biltmore? I'm impressed.

I don't think you'll be disappointed! Enjoy! :thumbsup:

Hedgehog

Jedi Hopeful
I was last there 30 years ago. My wife has never been, so we're going to spend a little extra time there for her.

Any recommendations on good places to eat? Have cocktails?

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
there is a winery on site now