• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Griffith on ebay

ralph_s

Jedi Trainee
Nice looking 66 Griffith on ebay for $59K starting bid. Hope that's the future direction for the other models!!!!!!
Hope he's successful....

Tullamore

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
That car has been appearing ebay for over a year, obviously he is asking too much and nobody has been bidding.

OP
R

ralph_s

Jedi Trainee
Yep, see he's had no takers!!! But it's like real estate.....always want to see your neighbors house sell for a million bucks!!!

V

vagt6

The last listing expired last week, he must have immediately relisted it. Could be one of those examples where the owner is trying to recoup his entire investment. Usually doesn't work, but that's a very nice car and a serious (i.e., rich) collector may snatch it up at that price.

I drove one back in the day on a test drive and my foremost memory is that you simply could not give it full throttle in <span style="text-decoration: underline">any</span> gear. Full throttle in first gear would just smoke the tires, and if you got any adhesion it would spin doughnuts, round and round.

Same for second gear at full throttle: smoke. Third, smoke and you'd actually get going a bit. Very hot, loud cockpit, also. The owner of the car I drove actually put a wood block under the accelerator pedal so he couldn't give it full throttle!

Tubular frame, flimsy fiberglass body, approx. 320HP and weighs less than 2000 lbs. Explosive power.

Really a crazy car to drive.

Beautiful, too. :yesnod:

OP
R

ralph_s

Jedi Trainee
Yep, but the listings gone??
Had a buddy buy one back in 1970. He kept it for 6 months and sold it. Even as a kid he knew he would get into trouble with that much power. Went back to driving MGB's. Probably the reason he's still kickin' today!!!!

Gotta say my 2500M is good balance of handling and power. I really enjoy driving it. (after I get nestled in there)

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
You have the best of both with your vehicle. The Griff that you are talking about is a customer of mine. This car is lovely in every way. Excellent to drive with no problems with over heating, etc. If the vehicle was listed by Wirewheel, he is a much trusted seller of English motor cars. If it was pulled from the listing, then I hope that it has found a new home in the USA. These motors not not for the faint of heart...you can blow by motorbikes with them!
Cheers,
D.

TRclassic3

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hey Ralph,

I'm with you, can't wait for the 2500M to reach those kind of numbers.....well, maybe half that would be nice and more in the realm of possibilities.

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Will not happen in our life. They produced too many M series cars for them to become classics. Where in WV do you live, Ed? I would like to move there in the next few years.
Cheers,
D.

TRclassic3

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Oh I know, the things are everywhere. After all, they did build a wopping 941 (or something like that) over a 5 year span. Almost as prevalent as an MGB.

I live in the eastern pan handle, about 70 miles west of DC.

OP
R

ralph_s

Jedi Trainee
Well actually in this economy, I'll be happy it it hold it's value. But doesn't really matter as I'm "long" on my TVR!!!!!

Ed,
Finish up that tranny yet??

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Thanks, Ed. I have been to Summit Point to watch racing a few years ago. I am looking at the central/west part of the state.
I believe that the cars that are as original as possible will be the one's that hold value. It has been proven time and again.
Cheers,
D.

TRclassic3

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
The clutch turned out great. Incredibly smooth. Hopefully will not have to deal with that again for a long time. I've also replaced the fuse block to correct some electrical issues and also found that the thermostat was not functioning correctly, so that has been replace. Had the car out yesterday and everything seemed great. What blast to drive, although I do struggle a bit with leg room. Wish the seat would go back about 2 more inches.

How about things with you? Been doing anything with yours?

OP
R

ralph_s

Jedi Trainee
Ed,
Sorry for the slow reply, my wife & I took as brief respite in Florida to thaw out!!!
Haven't done much this winter. My garage entrance was covered w/ a hugh snow drift for most of the winter, but it's all melted and I'm back in business. Need to sort out the heating/fresh air vents as the PO covered everything w/ the new carpets. Not sure why, but I'm sure I'll find out.
Hope to see you at Gettysburg again this year. I'll forward the details as I get them.

jfslenes

Unfortunately, I had to sell mine many moon back. The wire hubs were a bit rusty and tired. Significant throttle induced spinning of the rusty splines. 2,000 RPM in 4th was 100 MPH. Imagine 6,000 RPM in Bonneville.

Sold the car to the only other person I knew in ABQ who knew what it was. He paid a ton to someone to restore it. Only did the first half then split or some such story.

About the only car I think tops my Tigers.

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Griff's are great. Tigers are a problem, as I find them lacking in the R&D department. The problems where never solved and brought into production.
Cheers,
D.