• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

What is Babbit?

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Doing a little research and figured this is the best place to start. So...what is Babbit?

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Oooh Oooh, I know

1. What is a cross between a bear and a rabbit Alex.

I'm sorry that's incorrect. Try again

Babbit for $200 Alex

What is a Soft, white metal, an alloy of tin, lead, copper, and antimony, used to reduce friction in bearings, developed by the US inventor Isaac Babbit in 1839.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Babbit_metal

14dna

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I liked your first answer. Maybe that's the trouble with having to be correct.

Dave :savewave:

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I believe that they were bearings - poured in.
Someone else could give a better explanation - please.

- Doug

Roger

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
Babbit metal = white metal = bearing metal. Originally poured, but not today.
There are many different blends today, depending on application.
Called Babbit in tribute to original inventor - see JPSmit above.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Rain Man. :jester:

OP
vping

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
So it's not the thin flaky lead type of metal I found when I pulled the caps off of the rods in my TD?

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
When babbitt is melted, it looks like lead. It doesn't take a whole lot more heat to melt than lead. Babbitt is still used today in large rotating shafts such as used in industrial applications where replacing a fixed bearing possibly weighing 100 lbs or more is not practical. My dad was an expert on pouring babbitt bearings. He used to rebuild old steam engines and that's what they used. Believe it or not, it is a fairly dangerous job, as the melted babbitt can explode in your face if it hits a drop of moisture or overly cold surface. I still have his old bearing scrapers and pouring ladles, but definitely have no intension of using them! :jester:

OP
vping

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
So I guess Babbit has nothing to do with the bearings "Flakiness" in my TD engine.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
What is flaking would indeed be called the babbitt of the bearing, Vince. It just ain't lead anymore.

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Platinum
Country flag
Working with babbitt is not a completely lost art - most prewar American cars used babbitt bearings (Chevy sixes used babbitt until 1948) and most old stationary engines used them. Next time you see a make n' break engine at a county fair, ask the guy tending it about babbitt & I guarantee he'll go on for at least 5 minutes.

Unless they've been "upgraded" to to use modern shell type bearing inserts, all Model T and Model A Fords have babbitt bearings & there are ~lots~ of those still running. Lots of guys here still pour the stuff.

OP
vping

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
So since this is falaking off, it's cheap insurance to replace right?
I think I got away pretty goodlyish with this engine. Rod bearings and a few gaskets and it's OK.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Of course! I'd be for taking micrometers and PlastiGauge to it before final assembly, too. Just for peace of mind.

D

Deleted member 3577

In big engines they would pour it, blue the journals and set the crank.
Then they would remove the crank and scrape the bearing.
This would sometimes go on all day.
(We still have a bunch of old folks in this town that did this or saw it done)

Cooper Energy engines ran 3 years between minor services and up to 12 years between rebuilds (constant opperation)
That old technology worked.

There are several accounts of engine service life exceeding 80 years w/o a single rebuild.

BTW...They refer to lead hammers as Babbit hammers.

OP
vping

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Already on the hunt for new Rod Bearings doc. Not taking any chances. I checked the clearance on the Mains and it was .0015" with the PlastiGage.

G

vping said:
Doing a little research and figured this is the best place to start. So...what is Babbit?

That's what Mush Mouth from Fat Albert grandmother fried for Sunday dinner.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
"Heeeyyy Babbit!!!" I mean, "Abbot!!!!!"
abbott_and_costello_whos_on_first.jpg

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
who's on first?