• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Spitfire intro to me and my Spitfire

TDHoward

Freshman Member
I suppose an intro is in order.
I jumped into the seat post with no warning...

I'm TD Howard, from SW Virginia. I'm a long time lurker here, and I've finally decided to show myself.

Current project is a 71 Spitfire MK IV, Which is really a mutt consisting of the 71's chasis and drive train. The body from a late 80, with seats and various parts from a 74.

The Spitfire was purchased last spring, from a field. While the frame was in very good shape the body from the the top of the sills and arches was toast and the floors were non-existent. (all my cars show up on the back of a trailer for some reason)

I purchased a body tub from a guy in High Point NC, toted it home on the back of a pick up.

The spit is my second LBC, a couple of years back I did a 73 MGB, and did the entire sill/floor graft. I knew better this time and found a really good body instead.

I've also re-furbished a VW superbeetle, the 73 MGB, a 65 Chevy Corvair, and a couple of Jeeps.

Once I figure it out I'll post a couple of pics. I don't do nut and bolt concours restos, I DO like to take derelict heaps and bring them back to decent useable service.

There's simply nothing better than hearing that old lump roar back to life.

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Good to hear from you. Good luck on your most recent project and keep us posted.

TDHoward said:

hum, same could be said about my wife some days.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Welcome aboard, and I too feel that the process of restoring these old cars is really worth the time and effort if you do most of the work yourself. It's very satisfying. I recently finished a complete four year resto on a TR3. It's almost an anti-climax finishing the car. If I had more room, I'd be looking for another project.

Good luck with the Spit, and post some pics. :cheers:

You can do that with the "file mangagement" when you post. Just be aware of file size, you may have to make them smaller.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
High Point NC, any chance Hap?

Welcome Virginian

ekamm

Jedi Warrior
Welcome and good luck. I've had luck in the full post format find the icon that lets you insert an image. Then you'll have to have uploaded your pic to a site like photobucket, tinypic or other and copy and paste the IMG link to the post prompt. That probably made no sense but mess with it you'll get it.

dklawson

Yoda
Welcome. You are way up there in SW VA aren't you! It's been more than 15 years since I've been in that part of the country. It is beautiful up there.

My project is a '72 Spitfire and you will find lots of help for the cars here. Good to have you aboard.

pjsmetana

Jedi Warrior
Welcome to the forum! Posting pictures is pretty easy. Just upload them to a photo sharing site, like Photobucket.com for example, then post the IMG code like so: Click the 4th button from the left that says "Enter and Image" then click "non floating". When the box pops up, enter the URL of the picture on Photobucket (or w/e site you used). After you enter it, on the screen you should see something that looks like {IMG]https://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j293/pjsmetana/P1020228.jpg[/IMG] (I had to change my 1st [ to a { so it would show up as text instead of the photo). To make sure you did it right, click the "Preview Post" button at the bottom. And in your preview you should see your image, like so:

P1020228.jpg

sail said:
TDHoward said:
hum, same could be said about my wife some days.
HAHA! Nice! For my wife its more like, the more work around the house I do, the better she feels. I decided to veg for the last 3 days and she managed to get strep throat!

OP
T

TDHoward

Freshman Member
JohnnyMead said:
Super Beetle and a couple of jeeps? Sounds like we are following the same path!
John
TR3A

Yeah, I don't really get into the big V-8s, and because of that I'm sort of on my own in these parts. Everybody around here thinks Chevelles, Novas and Mustangs are only cars worth messing with. I do miss the beetle, I'd like to do another someday. I think of as my first Erector set car, in pieces when I bought it.

My Corvair was so unique (read that unknown, NOT a show vehicle) that when I would drive to the local show and shine it'd get more attention than many of the high $$$ chromed out stuff. Younger guys didn't even know who made it. I never really entered any shows, I'd just drive there and park in the regular lot, when I'd leave the show there would always be a crowd of people around it peeking in the windows.

I use to love taking it to the store and watch people's reactions as I'd pop the "hood" then load stuff into the front.

So I like different vehicles...and I'd rather drive 'em than sit by in a lawn chair and worry about fingerprints. The Spitfire is being rebuilt in the same way. It'll look good going down the road, but a concours judge would laugh. Clean 'em up, make 'em safe and comfortable, and drive it like you stole it!

"High Point NC, any chance Hap?"

The guy's name was Scott, from "High Point Imports" I met him through another Triumph message board. Drove down and spent a couple of hours going through his place. In addition to the nearly rust free tub, I bought seat cores and runners.

TONS of LBC parts and parts cars, Triumphs, MGs, Healeys. Several cars in the midst of restos and repairs. Super nice gent, very reasonable prices, and very knowledgeable. He used to race SCCA with a Spitfire, he still has the car that he uncovered to show me. I wish I had more details.

71MKIV

Jedi Warrior
The Spitfires are honest little cars that will take you there and bring you back. I used to use mine for primary transportation. Biggest problem was the thing would vapor lock in the summer time in East Texas. Of course the pavement was melting under the car at the time. Soon learned to keep a bicycle pump in the trunk, pop the fuel line off the pump and blow air in the tank vent.
:shrug: you do what you got to do.

Bone simple to work on and personally I think they have a nicer shape than most of the melted eggs available today.

Mine's a bit of a mutt too, O/D out of a 78, and so many other bits off of who knows what year that it's kind of hard to tell what's original. Lot's of other things like a late model steering wheel on an early hub, so the horn button's in the middle like God intended, gear reduction starter, electric fan, etc etc.

You were wise going with a solid tub rather than trying to fix the one you have. You are time, money and aggrivation ahead. I know this floors sills and fenders later.

Parts are cheap until you get to the interior. I'll have more money in the interior than in the rest of the car by the time it's all done.

If you're going to do anything in the engine, get the thrust washer modified for a full circle. That's the weak point.

Good luck, stay in touch

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Welcome to the Forum, TD. Nice to have you here.

I had a 66 Corsa convertible with 4 speed and 4 carbs. I loved that car and wish I had it back again.

Tinster had one too back in the 70's and he'll probably be around soon.

I'm looking forward to seeing some pictures when you get them posted.

Good luck!!

Paul

bgbassplyr

Darth Vader
Hey TD. Welcome to the forum.

I, too, have had Corvairs. '61 coupe w/4carbs & suspension mods. '67 coupe 4 carb w/ all the go fast options you could get from Chevrolet. Sorry I ever let either one of them go. Great cars, IMHO.

hilsideser

Jedi Warrior
bgbassplyr said:
Hey TD. Welcome to the forum.

I, too, have had Corvairs. '61 coupe w/4carbs & suspension mods. '67 coupe 4 carb w/ all the go fast options you could get from Chevrolet. Sorry I ever let either one of them go. Great cars, IMHO.

(we had 3 'Vairs in the family while growing up. I wrecked mine...)

We love pics, TD. Keep us posted!

14dna

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I too had a '66 Corvair

Had a stainless tag on the driver's door post
It said Yenko and a serial number.
I kinda wish I had that car back. Boy was it fast!
Welcome

Dave :driving:

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Dave,

If it was Yenko, which I'm sure it was and if it had that tag, which I'm sure it did, please don't do any research on how much it's worth today.....