• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Detroit Better Take a Serious Look!

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
They call them "Kei" cars. Gas at almost $6.00 a gallon, cars that get 40 to 60 mpg are becoming very common in Japan. Some are not that bad looking. The Honda Beat and the Diahatsu Copen are kinda sharp for being so small. Check out the big guy getting in the Copen. :jester:

https://www.wired.com/autopia/2008/11/the-small-car-t

D

Deleted member 3577

Don't worry...
They will never make it through the government approval process.
The established companies have more/better lobbyists than they do.

I feel a rant coming on :madder:...1...2...3 :angel:

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
They are popular.
And actually, they've been popular for years in Japan, Hong Kong and simliar places.
There is a tax benefit to using them in Japan.

Also, those little trucks and vans (which are not actually "kei" cars) are also quite popular, all over the world in fact. When we were in Antigua in the Spring, we saw them everywhere (see picture I took below).

By the way, if you go to almost any military base in the USA, you'll see those Japanese mini-trucks being used on post (but never driven on public roads). I see them all the time on Picatinny and McGuire AFB.

aa-kia-truck.jpg

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Ditto all over Latin America.

MadRiver

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
That Honda Beat is a funky little vehicle. Kind of reminds me of the Smart Roadster.

hilsideser

Jedi Warrior
My question is <span style="font-style: italic">WHY</span> doesn't the U.S. Government, <span style="font-style: italic">in all branches</span>, require contracts let out be filled with U.S. content or built materials?

-I have been wearing Desert Storm boots for decades. I burn thru 2 pair a year. They USED TO BE made here in Waynesville at Hazelwood manufacturer Welco. They shipped building the "uppers" to the Puerto Rico, I believe, about 15 years ago, sacking about 75 employess here. They put the sole on the finished upper here still.

-On a different rant: While tooling around, burning fuel whilst engaged in the pursuit of income, I run apon Prius and Subaru vehicles with state owned tags. Now I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer and I know these vehicles are comstructed in the states and the US content issues, but it <span style="font-style: italic">still</span> kills me that "build American, buy American, support Americans" theme is verboten here.

I don't beleive this is "political" or partisan in nature <span style="font-style: italic"> </span> content and hope I haven't crossed the line here, but <span style="text-decoration: underline">I do believe in </span>supporting my neighbors, who inturn, USED to be able to support me.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Patrick - that theme isn't <span style="font-style: italic"> verboten </span> - the problem is that some discussions are inherently political, and Basil's rule is for this to be a fun discussion forum. Some topics are, by nature, political, and are just a hair's breadth away from fireworks.

Let's keep it light!

OP
PAUL161

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
aeronca65t said:
They are popular.
And actually, they've been popular for years in Japan, Hong Kong and simliar places.
There is a tax benefit to using them in Japan.

Also, those little trucks and vans (which are not actually "kei" cars) are also quite popular, all over the world in fact. When we were in Antigua in the Spring, we saw them everywhere (see picture I took below).

By the way, if you go to almost any military base in the USA, you'll see those Japanese mini-trucks being used on post (but never driven on public roads). I see them all the time on Picatinny and McGuire AFB.

aa-kia-truck.jpg

Nial, their selling these trucks in used condition out west. We were thinking of buying one to use on the farm out there, which would be great for fence work. Only thing was, they are asking 4 to 5,000 bucks for them, their all right hand drive and you can't buy parts for them any where within a reasonable distance. Even then, parts are scarce. I do like the rear bodies with its lay down sides and rear. So we still use the little Ford Ranger, which still runs like a champ and I can almost buy parts for it at Walmart! :jester:
When it dies, I think another little Ranger will be in the works.

G

Steve said:
Those little trucks were starting to become popular in the UK in the early eighties, mostly with grocers in the cities.

Those things are all over the place down.

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
hilsideser said:
-On a different rant: While tooling around, burning fuel whilst engaged in the pursuit of income, I run apon Prius and Subaru vehicles with state owned tags. Now I'm not the sharpest knife in the drawer and I know these vehicles are comstructed in the states and the US content issues, but it <span style="font-style: italic">still</span> kills me that "build American, buy American, support Americans" theme is verboten here.
Actually being a proponent of Toyota, since working on them is what pays my bills (And not being very happy about the current unbridled round of Toyota bashing going on) I still have to bolster your point by saying that the Prius is made in Japan with 100% Japanese parts, as is the Highlander Hybrid. the Camry Hybrid is the only Toyota hybrid built in the US.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Remember,in Japan cars are on about a 3 year life span.
After that it gets way too expensive to maintain one.This
is one way they keep their auto factories going.
On the other hand they do have 600cc,fuel injected turbo
engines.

- Doug

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
This was a topic back in th' late '70's.

Dee-troit was top heavy, particularly back then. And they didn't get it... it was (still is) all about ENGINEERING.

"RAN" is a good hint. Overconfidence blinded domestic "powers".

I've scant sympathy.

A

aerog

If there was a demand for them, and if it made financial sense to import them - we'd have them. There isn't, it doesn't, and we don't.

bgbassplyr

Darth Vader