• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Minilite Wheels

Dudly

Jedi Hopeful
The Minilite replicas I see in just about every parts mag look purdy, and appear to be a start in an attempt to get away from my stock steel set. Not to mention that they are fairly economical, $400 to $600. I was wondering how folks feel about them, like, hate etc..
OR
Should I save even more scratch to invest in something like either VTO re-make of the Libre, or Revolutions Retro 4's, or even the Pansport 8 spokes.

I welcome any and all opinions as usual.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
I have KN Minators, one of the cheaper replicas - I like them, and they were an improvement over the old stock rims and old tires.

trfourtune

Jedi Knight
Panasports are considered the "better" of the bunch.IE machining tolerances, quality, balance, etc.
Just about any aluminum minilite type copy wheel is better than original steel wheels or spokes as far as strength and stiffness is concerned. Many do not give much weight savings over steel wheels though. They tend to be in the 15-19lb range.
very few "modern" wheels have the correct offset for our cars so selection is limited.
Rob

JKB1957

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Another option you can look into are real Minilite wheels. I picked up a set of 6 X 13's for my Spitfire and they were cheaper then the prices I found for PanaSports and some others. My last set I had to order directly from England. This time I found a wholesaler in Ohio.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
No way you can get a set of real mini lights for cheap.
IIRC ,they where magnesium.
I could be wrong though :shocked:

I'll chime in since I master distributor for VTO, and had input into R&D and marketing of the new wheels. I'll put up our VTO classic 8 against any classic 8 spoke design on the market. When we decided to start making our own wheels, I wanted a smoother spoke design, a machined outer rim that truely looked hand polished and I wanted the wheel to be light, Our VTO 15x6 weights 13.7 pounds, that s the same weight as Panasport race (not legal for street use) wheel,our weels are DOT approved and street legal, add to that we still use hardened tapered inserts for the lugs and provide free lug nuts, center caps and valve stems with every order. Oh and did I mention free shipping in Feb. Oh and our wheels are designed with your cars in mind, we don't market for Honda, Mazda, Toyota and such, we make wheels for you guys and the cars ytou love, because we're one of you guys, everyone one of us involved with VTO wheels are LBC owners.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Anybody wanna buy my 15X7 's for my Wedge with 205 Khumos on them. Tires have about 300 miles on them

Wait before I sell them,
<span style="font-weight: bold">Hap,</span> Do the new ones look like the old. If I bought 15X8's for the back will they look different than my 7's?

DNK said:
Anybody wanna buy my 15X7 's for my Wedge with 205 Khumos on them. Tires have about 300 miles on them

Wait before I sell them,
<span style="font-weight: bold">Hap,</span> Do the new ones look like the old. If I bought 15X8's for the back will they look different than my 7's?

Castings from one size to the other will slightly differ in looks, for one thing the spoke design has to be longer with larger diameter, different offsets also make the wheel look a little different. As for the 15x6s they look different to the Superlite product in many ways, but still somewhat simular. I got pictures on my website you can blow up of the 15x6s in both the black and silver centers and see all the details up close and personal, go take a look for yourself.

BIBBER

Jedi Knight
Dudly...really comes down to personal choice...I've got Minilites on the 62 Sprite but only because I wanted Minilites (pic in Members Pictures)....the name is embossed on outer rim and caps have logo...otherwise if you don't care I'd check into Haps' wheels...

OP
Dudly

Dudly

Jedi Hopeful
My spit is that funky Vermilion red, looks Cleveland Browns orange to most. I think it would look sharp if the wheels were a darker color. I have viewed 8 spoke that appear to be gunmetal gray, there is also the revolution 4 spoke that are black. I could think of other things that I could drop 500 or so clams on, but hey, I want to look cool this driving season.

Thanks guys for your thoughts.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Dudley, Mine are a Grey Black
DSCF2994.jpg

Hey Don, I recognize those :smile:

As for Minilite, it's just a name now, same wheel as the KN Minitor, and regardless of what they tell you, it's not made in the UK, in fact it's made in one the lowball manufactuers, we order a wheel or two from all our competitors, this is how I know this. Our goal with the new VTO was to be better than Pansport for the KN Minitor price, and after selling, myself, like 400+ sets of Superlite and VTO, I've never had a return because someone didn't like the product. Right now I have a special going with the new VTO wheels, free shipping in 48 states in feb. and disconted shipping elsewhere, and a free Acme Speed Shop T shirt, visit my website below if interested.

Hey Don, I recognize those :smile:

As for Minilite, it's just a name now, same wheel as the KN Minitor, and regardless of what they tell you, it's not made in the UK, in fact it's made in one the lowball manufactuers, we order a wheel or two from all our competitors, this is how I know this. Our goal with the new VTO was to be better than Pansport for the KN Minitor price, and after selling, myself, like 400+ sets of Superlite and VTO, I've never had a return because someone didn't like the product. Right now I have a special going with the new VTO wheels, free shipping in 48 states in feb. and discounted shipping elsewhere, and a free Acme Speed Shop T shirt, visit my website below if interested.

LfmTR4

Freshman Member
I favor the Minilites, these came on the car when I got it. Think they are older models 15 x 5.5. Lots of room.

ab4c2263.jpg

GeeBee1

Jedi Knight
More shameless sales pitches... :laugh:

Minilite rims are by a chap who bought the original molds, I recall some years back him trying to drum up funding to get them cleaned up and back into production.

Pat

Only a few days left on the Feb. factory supported free shipping deal on VTO wheels. Also have some Superlite 15x6 clearence sale for GT6/Spitfire and TR7/8

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Hap Waldrop said:
Only a few days left on the Feb. factory supported free shipping deal on VTO wheels. Also have some Superlite 15x6 clearence sale for GT6/Spitfire and TR7/8

Hap-

You want more sales, get VTO to make 15x5.5". Much better for the TR3/4 owners, and just fine for the TR6 guys too. There is a market there, just not on the racetrack!

Randy