• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

A different approach

Selling both Superlite, and now VTO wheels, something we been able to do is CNC drill for different bolt pattern, so some our stock is undrilled as far a lug holes, so thats give us the liberty to use any of sizes and offsets on different application. Many time this might be for unique car, like Sunbeam Tiger, or you never know I sold a guy a set wheel last week drilled for 73 Dodge Charger, whomas going for a raod race look in a muscle car. Another thing you see is people wanting to up size the wheel diamter on more popular application, over the past few years we put bunch of 15" wheels on MGBs, but others include, 14" and 15" on Spridget, 14"/15"/16" on Triumph Spitfires. On these more unusal application we many time depend on the customer to help with fitment, what offset and tire size they can run. Anyway one the long believed issue was to not run a 6" rim on a square rear arch Midget or Sprite, we'll recnetly we had a customer with SWA Midget who felt he coule use the 15x6 on his SWA Midget with a 155/60/15 tire, this size is not widely availabe but Continial is one company that offers. Well needless to say with intovative customers you learn something everyday. I tought I would show you the SWA Midget with the 15x6, now we know this can done. The customer has reported to us that with the 155/60/16 he has good clearence front and rear.

Attachments

• 20027.jpg
    20027.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 457
  • 20028.jpg
    20028.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 438

bugimike

Yoda
Very neat Hap!! Now ANYTHING is possible! :thumbsup:

scoutll

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Hap,
The only thing that might concern me with this particular set up is the fact that the 155 tires look like they might be a little too narrow for the width of the rim.

Country flag
Ditto about the tire width. It makes me nervous.

What size tire is on the SMART cars?

OP
Hap Waldrop
I put them on for the ricer crowd forever (I was tire dealer in a past life) never saw anything dramtic happen, not ideal maybe, dangerous no. I've seen the same thing in racing as well, forever in the SCCA, they made the 20.0x8.0x13 slick racing tire recomended wheel witdth was 6", but H production Spridget were by the rules limited to 5" wheels, the tire companies didn't want to make another tire for one car in one class, so they installed the 20.0x8.0x13 on the 5" rims, never was problem even at racing, where some of these cars approached close to 2 Gs in a corner. In the pictures, it appears thet the tire looks pretty good on the rim in my opinion, doesn't appear to be pulled at the bead, sits on the wheel pretty square looking to me.

Jedi Trainee
Look GREAT!!

What you got in a 18"?

Steve

bgbassplyr

Darth Vader

DWeeB

Jedi Trainee
Looks good to me, what does a set of them Bad Larry's go for?

scoutll

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Well, the consensus seems to think they are OK, but still looks like the rim is a little too wide for the tire to me. Mind you, I ain't no tire espert tho...:nonod:

lesingepsycho

Jedi Warrior
I have to agree. I'm not sure of the reasoning behind wanting a 6" rim and then pinching the tires in just so it fits. I like the idea of 15" rims, but the tire and wheel width should fit a little more neatly. I don't think it is a saftey issue but just a "why?" issue.

Also, from a performance standpoint, it seems like by pulling under the sidewall, you'll actually decrease the "bite" of the tire in a hard corner. Almost like a positive camber effect. A simple display is the "pencil eraser" test. For example, take a pencil with a new eraser. Hold it at a slight angle to a surface. Try dragging it on the surface and then try pushing it on the surface and see which way gets more "traction".

Perhaps I take the tire thing a little too seriously but I've always been taught that it doesn't matter all the bits and bobs you put on your car, if you cant put the performance to the pavement, it doesn't matter what you have. You could have the biggest brakes, the most HP and every Huffaker suspension upgrade there is but once you lose traction, it's all over.

JACK

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Jack said:
Perhaps I take the tire thing a little too seriously but I've always been taught that it doesn't matter all the bits and bobs you put on your car, if you cant put the performance to the pavement, it doesn't matter what you have. You could have the biggest brakes, the most HP and every Huffaker suspension upgrade there is but once you lose traction, it's all over.

:lol: :thumbsup:

If it don't propel ya it's USELESS.

...my bad.

OP
Hap Waldrop
This is just a example of how one guy tackled putting 15x6s on a SWA Spridget, if you have a Bugeye or any of the RWA offerings in the Spridget, then you can use wider tires, I like the idea of converting to 7/16 studs and using a bit of spacer to keep them away form the leaf springs, Winner Circle offers both a nice longer 7/16 wheel stud, and nice spacers in different widths. I like the 13x5.5 on the Spridgets myself, and we soon (early-mid March) will have the 13x5.5 in the above shown Classic 8s and the new Retro 4 which is a modren remake of the American Racing Libre, also we can do the new 14x5.5 on the Spridget as well, most sizes will be availabe in both the black and silver center.

Since someone asked :smile:
The 15x6 are 180.00 each
The 14x5.5 will be 165.00 each
The 13x5.5 will be 145.00 each
Anything ordered in Feb includes free shipping in the lower 48, and discounted shipping elsewhere.

Branson

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Sorry to revive an old thread but I was wondering what the offset is on the 15x6 wheels on the SWA spridget? I bought a set of the evilbay 15x6 Rota's that have a +15 offset and while the rims clear the rear fenders it does not look like the [FONT=&quot]155/60/15 continental tires would without a fair amount of persuasion. Either that or my rear leaf springs really are shot. Frustrating considering I verified the fitment with the retailer prior to ordering and they indicated that they would fit fine.[/FONT]