• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Boot closeout for fuel tank tr3a

ekamm

Jedi Warrior
Does any one have a rough dimension handy for the boot tank close out forgot to measure this morning. I am going to buy some vinyl to cover one that I'm making.

JohnnyMead

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Eric,
Mine is 46" x 14 1/2". The 46" is measured from the very tips of the parts that curve around the tops of the wheel wells. The distance between the wheel wells is about 36".
Vinyl sounds like a good solution. Are you using the kind of vinyl that's on the glove box and dash?
John

OP
ekamm

ekamm

Jedi Warrior
Thanks John. I went to JoAnn's fabric and found the closest thing to the vinyl that is used in the interior. It seems a little smoother than that but if you have the original board to look at it was a hardboard-like material witha the exterior facing the boot a glossy look with some grain in it. So I think that it will look OK. I am going to the thinnest batting that I can find on first with a spray adhesive and then covet with the vinyl. I'll post some pics of the process as I go.

JohnnyMead

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I think they just pressed a pattern into the masonite. Vinyl will look better. Have you considered skipping the batting all together?
John

OP
ekamm

ekamm

Jedi Warrior
I feel like the batting will take out any imperfections in the board. I could just stick it to the board. I'm concerned that any warp would be noticeable.

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
JohnnyMead said:
I think they just pressed a pattern into the masonite. Vinyl will look better. Have you considered skipping the batting all together?
John

That's correct. The trunk millboard (rear petrol tank casing) was "pebble grained" and held to the car by #4 trim screws and cup washers. Initially, these panels were sprayed to match the body color of the car. But, from TS 22014, the millboards were all black.

There was never any vynide covering or batting, just the millboard alone.

OP
ekamm

ekamm

Jedi Warrior
Here's a couple of pics of the original

mijjfc.jpg

20pasdv.jpg

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Eric-

question for you - is there any evidence that the lower edge had a short folded over section? A friend of mine in my club has a repro to install and it has such a fold. Frankly I don't see the purpose of it but I wonder if they had originally.

Thanks
Randy

OP
ekamm

ekamm

Jedi Warrior
I can't tell that there is any fold over. I made a copy of it out of hard board and it fits snugly. Here are a couple of closeups of the lower part.
1h81vs.jpg

ncy5o6.jpg

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Sure doesn't look like a fold was there, thanks!

Edit: Light bulb finally came on, I think I know what might be going on with the repro one - probably not a folded section just extra length that can be cut off - maybe to accommodate both pre and post 60K cars.

OP
ekamm

ekamm

Jedi Warrior
If you're talking about that hole in the last pic above it's just one of the torn out hole from 50 years of use. The harness goes through at the corner and just passes through under the board.

Beer02

Freshman Member
I am posting this message to several threads. If anyone can provide a pattern for the trunk (boot) closeout panel, I would be extremely grateful. If you would be willing to help me out, please respond, we can get in touch. Thanks in advance for any help.

6TTR3A

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Keystonâ„¢ used to sell it by the yard. Take a look at :
https://www.keystonbros.com/subcategory-listing-page?cat_id=243835&grand_id=9274
Frank