• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Collector Insurance

ekamm

Jedi Warrior
I'm sure that everyone has some tragic stories here about insurance. What's the best collector insurance? What do you use? What are the benefits?

DaveatMoon

Jedi Hopeful
I've had J.C. Taylor insurance for over 20 years now. Very early on I had a claim for vandalism on a Ford Falcon I owned. They handled the claim about as well as any claim could have been.

The other big companys are Hagerty and Grundy. People I know who you either one are just as happy with them as I am with J.C.Taylor. :smile:

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
I have full coverage on my 1958 TR3A. It is valued at $30,000.00 and it is insured just like any car on the road with that evaluation. I drive it as much as I can - 102,000 miles in the last 20 years and I don't want to be limited to driving it only a few hundred miles a year in parades, etc. It is insured along with our family Buick LeSabre (1998) and the Honda Civic (1993) for $77.60 per month for all three. But I also get back a chunk every spring for the winter months when I store the TR3A.

Attachments

• 20003.jpg
    20003.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 290
T

TRDejaVu

Hagerty for me with agreed value coverage. I also have their top line roadside assistance that covers the TR plus all my daily cars for the first 125 miles of emergency flatbed towing up to three incidents per year.

Britishautobody

Jedi Hopeful
By all means get a policy with agreed upon value, you pay upon a premium of that certain value. If anything should happen and total out your car you get that agreed upon value pay out. If you choose to not go this route and say your car gets totaled they will only pay you their idea of what they feel your car is worth. Too many times I have seen people get just screwed over by insurance companies from a total loss. Try one of the biggies like Hagerty someone that specializes in classics.

Good luck!

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Eric - I've used Hagerty for five years. Top notch as far as I'm concerned, especially for (1) value for money, and (2) the roadside assistance program that covers *all* my cars.

https://www.hagerty.com/

That said, keep in mind that many "classic" insurors require you to agree to "limited annual mileage". For example, you're covered when driving to shows and repair shops and club events, but not for week-long trips or "daily driving".

Be sure to check the details.

But I have to say, Hagerty sure fits my needs.

Tom

3798j

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Spent a good number of years with J.C. Taylor. They're a good company for antique vehicles. When I resto-modded my '55 Ford F100, they didn't offer coverage for it, so I switched to Grundy International and am very pleased. Have seen their adjusters work first hand and was very impressed (it included a return visit for hidden damage). Agreed value coverage is the only way I would go.

wingsandwheels

+1 for Hagerty, very good pricing (1/2 the cost of coverage through my regular provider...although Massachusetts is a bad example for insurance pricing), agreed value policy and the roadside assistance program. I am going on 10 years with their coverage on the Tr6.

Rgds, w

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Hagerty, with towing package for all my cars. Agreed coverage price, automatic yearly coverage increases, but most of all, look at the link below. After being hit in the front, not one blink of an eye to replace everything you see and a complete paint job to insure color match. Full payment check in hand in 5 business days and an open claim for any hidden damage and until I signed off that I was happy.

TR6 Insurance Repair

dklawson

Yoda
+1 for Hagerty. Five years for me so far.

However, call the major firms and ask about their "acceptable use" terms. Some are more restrictive than others.

A name not mentioned yet is Heacock insurance. Another possibility that someone is likely to discuss soon is State Farm. Apparently they have some form of collector car insurance that is very lenient on annual mileage and acceptable use. Sorry, I have no details only that tiny bit of information.