• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Winter Project Completed

Gene

Over the weekend, I completed the projects I had scheduled on my 74 O2S for this winter. They were:
-Brakes: New master cylinder, power servo cylinder, PDWA. Surrounding shrouds refinished.
- Heater (while removed for brake project) received new core. Was refinished on outside last year.
- New stainless steel exhaust system.
- New fuel gauge sending unit in fuel tank.

There were many "stories" as there always are on Jaguar projects! I'll only tell one - With everything back together and engine fired up, I was sitting behind the wheel just waiting for warm up and checking little things out - heater, radio, etc. Wait a minute! The air conditioning was dead! I didn't do anything to the air conditioner. Except, hmmm - the air conditioner relay is mounted on the back side of one of the shrouds I had taken in for refinishing. Guess what? The new paint inside and outside was preventing the relay from grounding. Loosened the mounting screw and scratched off a little paint, tightened it back down and, voila!, the air conditioning returned!

J

Jagdreamer

Originally posted by Gene:
Over the weekend, I completed the projects I had scheduled on my 74 O2S for this winter. They were:
-Brakes: New master cylinder, power servo cylinder, PDWA. Surrounding shrouds refinished.
- Heater (while removed for brake project) received new core. Was refinished on outside last year.
- New stainless steel exhaust system.
- New fuel gauge sending unit in fuel tank.

There were many "stories" as there always are on Jaguar projects! I'll only tell one - With everything back together and engine fired up, I was sitting behind the wheel just waiting for warm up and checking little things out - heater, radio, etc. Wait a minute! The air conditioning was dead! I didn't do anything to the air conditioner. Except, hmmm - the air conditioner relay is mounted on the back side of one of the shrouds I had taken in for refinishing. Guess what? The new paint inside and outside was preventing the relay from grounding. Loosened the mounting screw and scratched off a little paint, tightened it back down and, voila!, the air conditioning returned!

Boy, Gene, that's sounds like quite an undertaking. I assume that a 74 is a V12 model? (I'm kinda new to Jags). Are those much more difficult to work on/ find parts for? Seems like just changing spark plugs would be a major task. Hopeing to join you some day. Do you have any pictures you can post?

JD

OP
G

Gene

Yes, the V12 is decidedly harder to work on and the problems, because of more advanced technology and emission controls, are harder to diagnose. But, it seems worth it for the performance and driving features. Parts are not hard to find - perhaps easier than the older models.

The car can be seen at:

https://www.classicjaguar.com/GENEFIN.jpg

which is part of Dan Mooney's Customer Gallery at:

https://www.classicjaguar.com/customers.htm

J

Jagdreamer

Originally posted by Gene:
Yes, the V12 is decidedly harder to work on and the problems, because of more advanced technology and emission controls, are harder to diagnose. But, it seems worth it for the performance and driving features. Parts are not hard to find - perhaps easier than the older models.

The car can be seen at:

https://www.classicjaguar.com/GENEFIN.jpg

which is part of Dan Mooney's Customer Gallery at:

https://www.classicjaguar.com/customers.htm

Wow, that's sweet! What is that color? Looks like "chocolate."? Bet its a blast to drive. How long have you owned it? Did you have to do a full restoration, or was it in pretty good shape from the start? Inquiring minds want to know.
grin.gif

JD

[This message has been edited by Jagdreamer (edited 02-13-2001).]

OP
G

Gene

The color is "sable." Like several of Jaguar's original colors, it takes on different hues depending on the light - in this case, brown, grey, or green.

I have had it for 18 years and it has never been "restored." It has been repainted (original color) and new top, and various parts. It only has 38,000 miles.

Yes, it flies! Originally tested at nearly 150 MPH, I have removed all the emission equipment and that has made it even more powerful.