• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A 593A Ground Up - we will now join in progress

luke44

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Hi - new guy here with my first "Triumph Section" posting - I originally put it in the "new guy" section a few minutes ago but it seems to me the Triumph section gets a lot more traffic... anyway I hope it's not considered bad form to "double post", (I promise I'll only do it this one time) but I do plan on leaning on your expertise here a lot as I proceed with my project, and wanted to let you all know I'm out here....thanks,

https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcforum/u...e_I_#Post646703

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hey, no Porsche Pics allowed as an avatar :laugh:

pjsmetana

Jedi Warrior
The TR3 is looking good! Welcome to the <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic"><span style="text-decoration: underline">BRITISH</span></span></span> car forum :smile:

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
DNK said:
Hey, no Porsche Pics aloud as an avatar :laugh:

How 'bout quiet ones? :smirk:

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Welcome Bruce - Well I can understand that since you only have an RS America you'd want to upgrade to a Triumph TR3A.. Good choice! Actually a buddy of mine just bought one, I do know how rare those beasts are! Glad to have you here!

Randy

OP
luke44

luke44

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Hi Don - Ok I get it on the Porsche, and I promise I'll change it out as soon as I get some paint on the TR. But cut me at least a bit of slack - after all it is a classic-look <span style="font-style: italic"> air cooled</span> 911 - going on 17 years old now. And an RSA to boot - a bit of a rare piece in P-car circles. Actually the combination of a 911 and a TR3 makes perfect sense to me. One to tinker with, assemble, and thoroughly enjoy in the shop, b/c I understand it, and one to cover some serious ground in total comfort without any issues whenever you want to really cruise. That's actaully why I sold my Cobra. Wicked fast and all the atributes we all love about british cars, but completley impractical if you want to just hop in the car on a Friday night and cruise to a race track 400 miles away.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Mickey Richaud said:
DNK said:
Hey, no Porsche Pics aloud as an avatar :laugh:

How 'bout quiet ones? :smirk:

Mickey,

I think that was Cockney - "'Eh Guv,no Porsche Pics aloud".

D

Deleted member 8987

Only if said Porsche is hooked to the back of a Ford tow truck.
Then it's allowed.

In India, they call them Verandas.

Old joke.

toysrrus

Yoda
Howdy Bruce,

Well Sir; I see you found your way here with no problem.

Have Fun,

Russ

PS: Nice looking Porsche by the way. Personally; I never liked those "Huge" rear spoilers. I feel it distracts from the clean lines of the car but thats just my opinion.

PeterK

Yoda
toysrrus said:
PS: Nice looking Porsche by the way. Personally; I never liked those "Huge" rear spoilers. I feel it distracts from the clean lines of the car but thats just my opinion.

Those whale tail spoilers were just a fluke. :lol:

JohnnyMead

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Great project! You won't have any unknowns lurking under the surface of that TR when your finished.
I like the Porsche/Triumph combination. They follow different design philosophies and I think the contrast is kind of cool.

John

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Bruce great choice of cars. I almost sold my TR6 three years ago to buy a 1978 930 Turbo with 5000 miles. I was thinking $34000.00 for the car was a good price. The car was like new. Well I still have the six and I'm in the middle of a TR3 restoration. I will have a 930 someday. Welcome to the forum, and have fun with the restoration, what's left.

OP
luke44

luke44

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Wow! I had no idea the P-car thing would be such a lightning rod. Just for the record, (and certainly <span style="font-style: italic">not</span> to get off topic of LBC's) the rear spoiler on the RSA is quite unique to the model. By 1993, Porsche had long moved on to the electrically raised built-in spoiler that came up automatically at speed for the mass produced 911 (first introduced in 1989 on the so-called 964 version of the 911 series). It was only the limited production RSA that had the fixed wing - it was done for weight saving purposes, and it is somewhat controversial in P-car circles - RSA owners claiming the exact design is unique to this model of car, and others saying it was like the '80's whale tails...fwiw here's a short blurb on it from the RSA website.... https://www.rsamerica.net/OEMinfo/whaletail/index.htm.

Hi Keith - the 930 Turbo is, in my opinion, a real bargain in the classic car world right now. A 5000 mile version for $34k would have been an absolute steal. I had a '72 TR6 that I sold in 2006 to buy my Cobra, but that car, for all it's intensity wasn't the perfect answer for me either, and I sold it to have a go at the P-car.

John - thanks for the comments. They say you never forget your first sports car (mine was a '60 TR3) and I've always wanted another one. Last year I got serious about the idea of having this particular combo from a posting I saw on the P-car website where another poster also had just bought a TR3 to match his 911 - both in red....after debating in my head whether I could cram 2 cars in my garage, it was all over - I had made the emotional leap - I was going to have a TR3 in my life again......but not at the expense of my P-Car. And I wanted a project, but I didn't want all the agony of dissassembly and cleaning that a full on restoration requires. That's why I'm so happy with the condition and circumstances of what I found...I really get to step in at the fun stage.

Anyway, here's the pic from last year that transformed my daydream from a vague idea into an action plan....
56501-m-0.jpg

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I could see how that picture would be inspiring. I'd happily have that pari in my garage (and I'm an MG/Healey man myself). Great to hear that you're making your vision a reality.

OP
luke44

luke44

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Progress!! The car no longer resides in California. It's an <span style="font-style: italic">east coast </span>car now.

61273-m-0.jpg

61274-m-0.jpg

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Good stuff, Luke, a nice combo, indeed. Post more as the need arises....

TonyPanchot

Jedi Trainee
I love the Pic and have a similar one somewhere
showing the German auto and LBC sharing the same space :lol:

as more Allies arrived I had to segregate :thumbsup:

OP
luke44

luke44

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Well I'm overdue to post an update. Life is like that - it gets in the way of your hobbies. Anyway, I guess a restoration is a journey - and each journey has its twists and turns. Well.....in my case I got ambushed by a bandit trucker and my journey has made a sharp right turn.....

Now in fairness, I was kind'a stupid in not going for an enclosed trailer (worst $400.00 I ever saved), but the driver also contributed to my grief by not securing the load properly and the hood flew off somewhere east of Albuqurque after he readjusted the load, and moved the car from the bottom to the top. And when the hood flew off it , it bent the cowl where the hinges mount, and the sharp corner of the hood impaled the right rear inner fender before flying off into never never land. That's the short version. The long version fills several pages (see insurance claim comment below)...

Needless to say, the car that left San Diego was not the same car that arrived at this end. And the insurance claim is continuing.....that's another story...

But the good news is I have found another hood and plan to get back at it this weekend. As bad as these pix look, the sheet metal is rock solid underneath - it is literally just surface blush. but, I have decided to have the car dipped to completley clean it and start fresh....

Compare the pix below to the pix in the link in my first posting in this thread.

64981-m-0.jpg

64980-m-0.jpg

64982-m-0.jpg

64985-m-0.jpg

Last edited: