• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Way way off topic but

PeterK

Yoda
Decades ago I built a 1965 VW with a Corvair engine conversion by Crowne in it. Yep, it FLEW 0-80MPH.

I still have two specially machined offset starter bushings that press in the VW transaxle and allow the Corvair starter to fit.

So if anyone knows of a friend with such a conversion, PM me and I'll send them the bushings for free.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled Triumph programming...

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Boy does THAT bring back memories. Buddy of mine in New Orleans built a dune buggy with a 180 horse turbo 'Vair engine. That thing was absolutely SCARY. First gear lasted all of a second or two, tops, before you had to shift to second! Unbelievable ride!

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader
As a kid, I knew a man who was into the Baja Racing. He took a corvair engine and transmission, flipped so the engine was ahead of the transmission and axles, then built the buggy-racer around that. A mid-engine car in the early sixties, a man ahead of himself.

OP
PeterK

PeterK

Yoda
TR6oldtimer said:
As a kid, I knew a man who was into the Baja Racing. He took a corvair engine and transmission, flipped so the engine was ahead of the transmission and axles, then built the buggy-racer around that. A mid-engine car in the early sixties, a man ahead of himself.

Flipping the engine and transaxle solved a problem too. The VW and Corvair engine ran in opposite rotations.

I used Bus transaxles in mine. 1) Because they were a lot stronger (hardened gears or something like that) and would withstand the extra torque of the 6 cylnder. and 2)the Type II transaxles already were set for the opposite rotation because they used gear reduction units outboard of each axle.

When I was 16, I started my automotive career working in Dale's Buggies in Colonie, NY. My job was to disassemble and clean old engines prior to rebuilding.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
PeterK said:
When I was 16, I started my automotive career working in Dale's Buggies in Colonie, NY. My job was to disassemble and clean old engines prior to rebuilding.
OMG! Dale's Buggies...that name sounds very, very familiar, although I can't remember at the moment exactly where it was...

OP
PeterK

PeterK

Yoda
Central Ave in Colonie, just past Lisha Kill Road. It was a colorfull (ISTR purple/orange) dinky little building surrounded by piles of rotting VWs. Think it's a sandwich shop or Pizza joint now.

jsfbond

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Has anyone come across an older VW bus with a 454 olds engine stuffed in the back? There was a guy up in the Lebanon, NH area in the 80's who moved back to New Jersey. The bus had custom flares over meaty tires.

TR6oldtimer

Darth Vader
jsfbond said:
Has anyone come across an older VW bus with a 454 olds engine stuffed in the back? There was a guy up in the Lebanon, NH area in the 80's who moved back to New Jersey. The bus had custom flares over meaty tires.

I always wanted to do that!

jsfbond

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
This was a daily driver, and the side scoops brought in some air to help cool the engine. But the real air intake was underneath, the custom fender flares were part of the ram air system. very well done body work. Rainbow motif, ex- hippie type of thing.