• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Question for 5 speed conversion guys

HealeyPassion

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Did any of you that have installed Smitty 5 speed conversions weight your Toyota 5 speed and aluminum bellhousing before installing it? Unfortunately, I never thought to do it and now I'm wondering about weight savings of the 5 speed conversion over the stock AH 4 speed/od....definately a duh moment. I suspect one of you thought to weight it before plugging it in.

Oh, and, yes, I sent Pete Delany (the current owner of the 5 speed conversion) a note but I haven't heard from him. I don't think he stays to current with email.

Thanks for your help.

Cheers,
Steve Thomton
https:/stevesaustinhealey.com

OP
HealeyPassion

HealeyPassion

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Healeyneil, thanks this is great! As complete as this is, I'm suprised the bellhousing isn't mentioned....I wonder if he includes it in the backing plate weight?...or in the transmission weight?

Steve

Country flag
HealeyPassion said:
Healeyneil, thanks this is great! As complete as this is, I'm suprised the bellhousing isn't mentioned....I wonder if he includes it in the backing plate weight?...or in the transmission weight?

Steve
Bellhousing is part of the xmsn, whereas the backplate should be considered part of the engine.

At present, my car has an MGC xmsn in it, and I suspect it weighs about 80Lbs. I'm actively preparing to rebuild the original side-shift/ovd gearbox, so I'll be putting all that weight back in the chassis. I've done several late-late nights this past week getting internal/external components treated with polymer coatings (dry-film lubricant, thermal dispersant).

I wish I could afford/justify the aluminum cylinder head; significant weight savings there, and sure to be appreciated the next time you pull the head only out of the car.

OP
HealeyPassion

HealeyPassion

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Thanks for the help Randy!

Yes, the weight savings on the back when pulling the stock head vs. an aluminum one may justify the cost.

Cheers,
Steve

Barryp

Country flag
Healey Passion,

You inspired me to weigh some parts today as I thought the Toyota box would surely save more than thirty lbs.

Here's what I found on Longacre electronic scales this afternoon:

Healey side shift OD box with bell housing: 116lbs

Toyota box w/o bellhousing: 78lbs
Toyota bell housing w/ TO brg and release mech: 10 lbs

I don't have the Healey 5 Speed Bell housing yet so I don't know how it compares with the Toyota unit.

Stock Rear engine plate is 19lbs.

Cast head with valves and springs: 84lbs.

Steel deck lid w/ paint: 18lbs
Early ribbed steel Hood w/ paint: 19lbs
Steel frt fender stripped: 14lbs
Frt Shroud stripped: 20lbs

Bare chassis media blasted and primed: 374lbs

Barry

healeyneil

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Dont forget that, as the Toyota box will consume less bhp than the original, you have more power at the back wheels too !

Frankenhealey

Jedi Trainee
healeyneil said:
Dont forget that, as the Toyota box will consume less bhp than the original, you have more power at the back wheels too !

....and it's got no solenoid to go on the fritz! :driving:

healeypassion, perhaps im not understanding your question, what i would do is just re-weigh your car with the new trans in it and just subract it from the cars known stock weight.

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
Barry, I wish you hadn't listed the weight of the Healey Transmission with OD at 116 lbs. Since I just carried it out of the car and put it on my workbench no wonder my back aches so much. Plus, I have to put it back in! Maybe it's time I seek help.

Country flag
Johnny said:
Barry, I wish you hadn't listed the weight of the Healey Transmission with OD at 116 lbs. Since I just carried it out of the car and put it on my workbench no wonder my back aches so much. Plus, I have to put it back in! Maybe it's time I seek help.
And to think, I was under the impression it (side-shift) weighed 120#... :wink:

Country flag
healeyneil said:
Now that poses an interesting question, and I don't doubt your claim, but...

I'm currently in the process of coating nearly all the internal rotating and sliding components of my original side-shift xmsn and overdrive with polymer coatings (dry-film lubricants, thermal dispersants) so I wonder how much (if any) friction losses can be recovered...?

It is hard to quantify the benefits, and given the labor-intensive nature of their application, even harder to justify them! But if you can appreciate how much a simple header coating lowers your underhood temperature, imagine the advantage of reducing friction (and heat generated) and optomizing heat radiation.

I'm almost finished with the last of the parts to be coated, hopeful that I can have them done before the end of this week. The last of the required replacement parts are en route from Moss. After a brief hiatus (Sarasota :smile: ), I plan to lay all the parts out for final assembly, and document the actual assembly with pictures. I'll start a new thread when I have all the material ready for posting...

A little tease:

IMG_2240.jpg

IMG_2248.jpg

IMG_6846.jpg

OP
HealeyPassion

HealeyPassion

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Wow Randy, I'm humbled by the scope of this effort! It'll be interesting if you can feel a difference.

Cheers,
Steve