• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

OT - well, the Volvos are outta here because....

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Now let me just state that this represents a <span style="text-decoration: underline">shrinking</span> of the fleet. And there is a TR link here. And I just generally have a car problem, but anyway....

So here is the deal. Last week at our monthly driving event I had a chance to sit down with a couple guys I had not met yet. One thing led to another and it turns out that one of the guys had been storing his Dad's MGC next to his house for 25 years.

Yep, that is an MGC alright;

MGCasfound.jpg

Slowing returning to earth here as found;

MGCasfound5.jpg

Engine bay as we opened it up, and yes, that is a recently expired cat;

MGCasfound22.jpg

After a little cleaning and minus the cat;

MGCasfound30.jpg

46,820 original miles;

MGCasfound35-1.jpg

Um, might need to clean the dash a bit;

MGCasfound33.jpg

Looking a bit better now;

diggingoutmgc1-16-106.jpg

Brake drums were frozen, but 5 minutes with a mallet and taking the nuts off we were good to go. Not to rub it it, but all the bolts came right off after sitting outside for 25 years. You just have to love SoCal cars. (Don't worry, the seat mounts inside are going to test my patience for sure.

diggingoutmgc1-16-1011.jpg

First time outside of the fence in 25 years;

diggingoutmgc1-16-1014.jpg

Rolling home today...

Bringingherhome1-16-10.jpg

Bringingherhome1-16-101.jpg

<span style="font-weight: bold">Anyone want a really neat 122s project, or two?</span>

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Another one to the Dark Side!That should help out
your withdrawl problem.Nice find.

- Doug

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
Very slick! That body looks in great shape too. But it looks like you did get your hands a little greasy this weekend!

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
TR4nut said:
Very slick! That body looks in great shape too. But it looks like you did get your hands a little greasy this weekend!

I need to find a replacement passenger side door, bubbling on the front bottom, and at least one dog leg needs to be replaced. They always look better in the pictures :eeek:

But, yeah, could be much worse. Real test will be how she looks underneath in the AM. The driver side floor has some nasty bubbling, which you just <span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="font-style: italic">know</span></span> is going to be ugly after wire brushing. Evidently it is the stamping under there that is the real deal breaker if it gone. We'll see. Fingers crossed gents!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
WOOHOO!!! That's stellar!

...welcome to MG ownership, too. Ain't as bad as it's made out to be. :wink:

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
SHEESH! Why izzit that ALL the cars are in Cal.?

~Yes, I'm GROUSING - WHAT OF IT!?~

Congrats anyway.

~~Grumble, grumble...~

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
So here is what we'll do Mickey. Take some vacation time (are you allowed to do that - in some ways I'd image you are always on the clock, eh) and drive a tow vehicle out to Cal. Give us a budget and some advanced warning and I bet us Cal, NM, AZ, OR, NV, WA folks could spend your money on finding you a new car right-quick. What do you think guys?

FYI - I am <span style="font-weight: bold">not</span> saying there aren't a lot of wonderful cars all over the palce. I just saw the door crack open just a bit on getting Mickey a new car :smile:

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
I bet the engine really purrs.
grin.gif

Nice find. Have fun with the new project.

Cheers,
M. Pied Lourd

V

vagt6

Great Find, man!

MGC: the stud of the MG stable. Great car!

Have fun! :yesnod:

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
tdskip said:
So here is what we'll do Mickey. Take some vacation time (are you allowed to do that - in some ways I'd image you are always on the clock, eh) and drive a tow vehicle out to Cal. Give us a budget and some advanced warning and I bet us Cal, NM, AZ, OR, NV, WA folks could spend your money on finding you a new car right-quick. What do you think guys?

FYI - I am <span style="font-weight: bold">not</span> saying there aren't a lot of wonderful cars all over the palce. I just saw the door crack open just a bit on getting Mickey a new car :smile:

Sounds like a deal to me!

<span style="font-size: 8pt"> Now all I gotta do is convince Janet! </span>

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
You are my hero, Tom. One more gets saved. :smile:

As long as some cars are heading out while this one heads in, you'll be okay.

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Yeah, that is the plan. Drew, a Volvo 122s would be a good all-weather car for you. Great heaters too! Eh, yeah, don't you think. Just picture yourself driving one... Nudge, nudge....

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Tom,

So how many cars *are* in your stable now and how big is that garage? :smile:

Scott

dklawson

Yoda
You know I have a weakness for Volvos. I'd love that red 122S, however, the timing and your being in CA is just not going to work out! This is just so upsetting (to me!) Regardless, congrats on the 'C'. I can see why you are worried about what to work on next and wanting to thin out the collection. So which car WILL you keep for inclement weather?

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
dklawson said:
I'd love that red 122S, however, the timing and your being in CA is just not going to work out!

So drive over to Mickey's, carpool out. We can wrench like crazy for a loooong weekend and then drive her home. Problem solved.

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks for humoring here, but I'm kind of excited.

Here is the worst (I think / hope) of the rust to deal with. I've been pretty spoiled (and know it) by a couple of the SoCal cars I've been able to work on, but I was still pretty shocked when the seat to floor bolts came undone without the need for any colorful language. Now mind you that this car has been sitting outside with a broken top and ripped car cover.

Diggingintothefloors1-10-101.jpg

Diggingintothefloors1-10-103.jpg

Diggingintothefloors1-10-104.jpg

Diggingintothefloors1-10-102.jpg

Diggingintothefloors1-10-104.jpg

Diggingintothefloors1-10-105.jpg