• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Primrose yellow?

ekamm

Jedi Warrior
For some time now I thought that my tr3a was a primrose yellow. Built Aug of '59. Today I read a color chart from Moss UK that said the color was used through '58. It appears that it might be called light yellow. Can anyone shed some light on that. Some time ago I saw a couple of color charts for triumph colors that indicated years or models etc. has anyone got that have seen it?

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
Alas, here's a chart but w/o date information. Based on the colors shown it may be pre-59 or it may just be colors covering several years.

acme%20paint.jpg

FWIW -- Almost any color could in theory be ordered so I would think something as common as Primrose could hardly be faulted on an 8/59 build.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
FYI, Primrose is/was occasionally referred to as "Pale Yellow" on other Standard-Triumph models, according to several sources.

martin-senour-colors.jpg
A Martin-Senour paint chart shows Primrose 1958-60, so go figure.... :wink:

If the image does not appear, try going to Old Paint Charts for Triumph Colors, on the VTR web site, and go to the last link -- for Martin-Senour.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
"Primrose yellow" was also an MG color. I remember it on MGB's 68~73-ish.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Doc,

My '67 GT is that color.

- Doug

Gordon_Dedrick

Jedi Trainee
After a couple of months of agonizing over whether to paint my 59 TR3 original black or primrose I spent lots of time researching the color. Piggott says primrose was replaced by pale yellow in Jan 1959. As we all know these swap points were not exact for Triumph and to the best of my knowledge the colors vary mainly in name only. The current formula for the color in PPG omni is 81168 offset 82043 and called moonlight yellow in Mazda. I had a small amount mixed and it does look correct. I also have seen a car done completely with this mix and it looks great.
Ps By the way, after all the agonizing, I painted the car black.......
Gordon

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Let me know if it's working any better now; I'm not sure what happened, but it doesn't always work for me, either! At one time, the "Maintenance Handbook" scction of the VTR site was members only, and perhaps there are still remnants of "blocking" code present? :frown:

OP
ekamm

ekamm

Jedi Warrior
Good info Gordon I guess that I can take from this that primrose is a light yellow. And regardless of the name I could come close with the right codes.

gsalt57tr3

Jedi Warrior
Accord to British Trust records, my Triumph 10, built in the morning of 5 Aug 1959, was Primrose Yellow.

billspit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
My old 1960 TR3 was painted Primrose. I really liked the color. The car had been repainted, so I'm not sure how accurate the color was.

OP
ekamm

ekamm

Jedi Warrior
Same with me, my p.o. (my dad) repainted a couple of times and from what I've seen under panel etc. it's pretty close. It looks a little light but the paint on it now is old so who knows. When and if I paint I'll keep it the same for posterity, ever though I am not a huge fan of the color it works on this car.

OP
ekamm

ekamm

Jedi Warrior

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior
According to Ford my mustang was painted vermillion but according to the code, it's rio red. They stopped painting mustangs vermillion with the 93 body style. There is no such thing a a 1994 vermillion mustang. But thing is pre 94 vermillion mustangs have the exact same paint code as rio red. If you order paint, either PPG or Omni, the 1994 color chart calls it vermillion. Duplicolor calls it cardinal red.

Point is car manufacturers just love to be difficult. And when the Internet wasn't around they and the dealers had more power because only they had the info. You had to trust them. Which means you had to give them the business.

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
UmmYeahOk said:
...If you order paint, either PPG or Omni, the 1994 color chart calls it vermillion. Duplicolor calls it cardinal red.

Point is car manufacturers just love to be difficult.

:iagree:

My long-gone 1991 Ford Explorer was "Deep Emerald Green Clearcoat Metallic"; I believe Mercury's name for the exact same color was "Jewel Green...[something,something]"!

Oh, and nice to see that "confirmation" that Primrose and Pale are the same yellow used by Standard-Triumph.

Meanwhile, I'd forgotten about a DuPont chart on my own web site, covering 1959-61 S-T models. Sorry it isn't bigger or clearer, but....

dupont60.jpg

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
FWIW, I have a gallon of paint that might be close to Primrose Yellow. Came with the TR3, says something to the effect of "Contains Lead, for professional use only" on the can, and had "Yellow" plus some other numbers (paint codes no doubt) written on the top.

It's free if anyone wants to come pick it up ... probably not legal to ship it anywhere. Most likely it's 30 years old, but there is still liquid inside the can. I've not had the lid off to see what's actually in there. Actually meant to haul it to the hazardous waste roundup last Saturday, but didn't get it done.

There's also a partial can of presumably matching primer.

Gordon_Dedrick

Jedi Trainee
Randall
Not only do you KNOW everything about these cars but it seems you may have a sample of it all too. You are too much and we are all glad to have you here!
Gordon