• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

GM's DOHC 270 hp six for jaguar conversions?

JBsC5

Jedi Trainee
What do you guys think of the conversion capabilities of GM's new inline six for conversions of older xj6 sedans..just put a chevy v8 in and forget about it..

I've always wondered what the final outcome is on projects like that..

Please..remember..no insult intended to the Jaguar faithful..just shooting the breeze on this idea..

Jaguars are fantastic in and of them selves..just once in awhile I see some that are available with this conversion possiblity and wonder is this a project to be owned.

TIA and remember..no flame of any kind intended..

------------------

kcadams2

Freshman Member
jb,
I have done several of these, both comercially and personally. I tried to answer you a couple of days ago but forgot my password and it erased everything !!
I have nothing but good to say for the Chevy V-8 conversion. I would be happy to discuss it at length if you are interested.
Ken

David

Originally posted by kcadams2:
jb,
I have done several of these, both comercially and personally. I tried to answer you a couple of days ago but forgot my password and it erased everything !!
I have nothing but good to say for the Chevy V-8 conversion. I would be happy to discuss it at length if you are interested.
Ken
Ken,
I just completed replacing an early Jag V12 with the later Jag HE ( high efficiency ) V12. Turns out the transmission had to be replaced too, as the bolt pattern was different on the block. In hindsight I'd have to say it would have been easier and much cheaper to install the Chevy conversion. Then on the other hand there's a lot to be said for the exhaust note from a 6 cylinder Jag and the engines really are very durable, but the platform weight (XJ6) they were expected to lug around was formidable. So, what I'm trying to say is that I'd never do the conversion to an XK series , but I'd do it in a heartbeat to a later sedan. IMHO Dave
PS. thanks for the modification consult...!

OP
J

JBsC5

Jedi Trainee
Glad to hear the XJS and other sedan conversions to Chevy V8's are successful..

Thanks..any photos of your work online?

kcadams2

Freshman Member
JBsC5,
Sorry , no pictures on the net. If you find a converted car to look at, you can see how nicely it fits. Visualise a nice sanitary installation (which most aren't) and detailed engine compartment, and it looks almost as if it belongs there. I put plain chrome valve covers on the engine and installed the JAGUAR emblem from the trunk lid of a series II and you can't imagine the stupid comments I get ("Gee, I didn't know Jaguar made a V-8" !! or "Is that all the bigger they are?") It's great fun to show. People that know what it is will say either "Why would you do that to such a nice car" or "That is pretty neat" nothing in between. I just tell them that it is mine and I'll burn it if I like!! That usually stops them.
Good luck,
Ken

Jeb

There's a lot of back and forth on the engine transplant issue. A lot of purists get really bent out of shape about it, but by the same token, a lot of cars are saved from the crusher by the folks that convert them. The biggest complaint I have with the idea is that I see and hear of too many hack jobs from people that are doing it to get around the cost of fixing the car properly. If you do a proper conversion so as to have reliability and all the original niceties with a TPI engine and an overdrive trans, you'll spend as much if not more than to repair the damaged engine.

That being said, a properly converted "Jagrolet" is a real treat to drive due to the power and torque of the V-8.

I have honorary "Lump" status at Jag-Lovers due to my opinions on the cars and I also got it for the killer engine that I built in my XJ-6 that would stay with darn near any car short of a blown 911....

I personally wouldn't do a conversion due to my unfailing love for both the XK and V-12 engines but the purists wouldn't appreciate the unnatural things that I would do and have done to those engines.

But I have my own British car shop and don't have the normal costs involved with the repair of Jaguars since I know the boss....8> ) and she loves the Jag engines, too!

Cheers,

Jeb

[This message has been edited by Jeb (edited 02-21-2001).]

[This message has been edited by Jeb (edited 02-21-2001).]

OP
J

JBsC5

Jedi Trainee
Thanks guys..I want you to know..I am NOT in any way ..shape or form insulting Jaguars or their mechanicals..just looking at how GM almost 40 years later has finally built a inline six that could compare to Jaguars famous engine..

The V8 transplants are imho..very cool as they do save many cars from oblivion..I happen to believe the Jaguar to be among the most beautiful cars in the world..

That includes the sedans and the sports cars..Jaguar just has an elegance that is unsurpassed..

------------------

[This message has been edited by JBsC5 (edited 02-21-2001).]